• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jumping the Shark Draft

Matt79

Global Moderator
As promised in the Test II thread, here's my suggested draft variation. My proper net is offline tonight so I'm doing this via iPhone and as such will keep this brief and apologize for typos now.

This draft is for test players and will be 8-10 players only. It will be a draft where the best players are reserved until the end of the draft. Normally there's a rush at the first round to secure the absoltue superstars, and teams then tend to be built around them. This draft will force you to reverse this process and select your team of great players while leaving room for the absolute legends.

We'll do this by having all the drafters send me a list of who they think are the twelve best players to get in any draft. No restrictions on how you choose these players, besides the players nom' d having to be eligible for the draft.

I'll compile this list and draw up a list of the top 25, 28 or 31 players. These players will be off limits til round 9. Further more the top 8,9 or 10 players will be off limits til round 11. Spicing this problem up further, the drafters won't know who's banned - I'll check picks against the list and flag any non eligible picks. If you select a banned player you have to repick at the end of the round.

You'll note I'm proposing to ban one more player than there will be picks left. Reckon it will be funny to see who's left at the end. Obviously in rounds 9-11 you don't have to take a banned player, and if you get you team balance strategy wrong, you may have to pass up a star at the end to get what you need to complete your team.

We'll do a reverse serpentine order, changing every two rounds. There's to be a twelve hour limit per pick, after that the next person can go, and you go whenever you're able after that.

We'll limit it to post WWI, else the stats for any sims etc get stuffed up. Also limits the numbers of players to chose from a bit. A player must have played a test after WWI to be eligible.

Want 8-10 players - I run it but not play ( wouldn't be fair obvs).

1. Jamee999
2.99*

Last edited:

99*

International Debutant
In.

Just won't have internet access until late afternoons on weekdays, so don't go nuts if I don't pick right away.

Matt79

Global Moderator
That's cool. It is first come first served for spots, but please don't sign up unless you plan to be on pretty regularly.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
This looks awesome.

Matt, I think it would be better if it was a 5-pick penalty for choosing a banned player, because that's fairer, as it's an equal penalty if you're picking anywhere in the round.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
1. Jamee999
2.99*
3.Michaelf7^7
4.Samuel_Vimes
5.NUFAN
6.Somerset

Strategy in this will be immense.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Matt you should try and get another neutral to help you out, It's going to be hard to be online all the time to confirm whether or not a player we picked is inside/outside the top 31 or whatever.

Also, going first in round 9 will be very, very helpful!

Last edited:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Matt you should try and get another neutral to help you out, It's going to be hard to be online all the time to confirm whether or not a player we picked is inside/outside the top 31 or whatever.

Also, going first in round 9 will be very, very helpful!
I'd be willing to do that. Not that keen to play this draft but I'm online monday-friday during the day so could "moderate" the picks so to speak during that time.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
If Matt takes my drop 5 picks suggestion, he only needs to be on for every 5th pick, I guess, apart from when the draft loops around.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Matt, it might be better to go for 2 or 4 rounds of ineligibility, so that the same person doesn't get first pick in the top 8 and top 24 rounds. Just a thought.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If Matt takes my drop 5 picks suggestion, he only needs to be on for every 5th pick, I guess, apart from when the draft loops around.
I'm not really a fan of this, because knowing if the persons selection before you has passed or failed will help you with your selection.

I'm just picturing Matt or Simon going..

Asoka De Silva

No........ BINGO! [You may have needed to see the TV show to get what I'm talking about].