• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time best side from the Islands.

sammy2

Banned
Let me see who would apart of Jamaica's all time best team

Headley
Gayle
Jimmy Adams
Walsh
holding
Patrick patterson
Dujon
Alf Valentine

It's so hard to think of names, plus countries.

I know barbados might end up with the best team. Haynes, Greenidge, 3Ws, soders, marshall, hall etc ..

Last edited:

Jigga988

State 12th Man
I would love to help you but my knowledge of the history of West Indian cricket is about as extensive as my knowledge of Madonna greatest hits... i.e. non-existant.

shivfan

Banned
1) Lawrence Rowe
2) Allan Rae
3) george Headley
4) Jimmy Adams
5) Collie Smith
6) Chris Gayle (that's where he should be batting, IMHO)
7) Jeff Dujon
8) Michael Holding
9) Alf Valentine
10) Courtney Walsh
11) Patrick Patterson

shivfan

Banned
Haha. Why?
Well, if Vaas can have your ticket as an opener, it makes you wonder why you shouldn't drop yourself down the order....
8-)
Maybe six is too far. Four would probably be better. But the difficulty the WI have now is finding two opening batsmen capable of holding their places in the side!

In an all-time great side, that's the only place I could find for Gayle....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, if Vaas can have your ticket as an opener, it makes you wonder why you shouldn't drop yourself down the order....
8-)
Because Vaas is a mediocre bowler? Or is it that West Indies play Sri Lanka non-stop? I don't understand the reasoning here.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'm interested in knowing why Jamaica, Trinidad, and Antigua deserve capital letters, yet Barbados and Guyana don't. :ph34r:
Even more glaring is the omission of NZ, SL and Tasmania. All a ploy to keep the likes of Hadlee, Murali and Ponting out of the side imo :ph34r:

On a serious note, an all time Island XI vs Mainland XI would be interesting.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Also, as far as fitting him into that Jamaican side, I think you'll find that Lawrence Rowe was much less of an opener than Chris Gayle. In that he wasn't an opener.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Even more glaring is the omission of NZ, SL and Tasmania. All a ploy to keep the likes of Hadlee, Murali and Ponting out of the side imo :ph34r:

On a serious note, an all time Island XI vs Mainland XI would be interesting.
Guyana versus Rest of the West Indies?

shivfan

Banned
Because Vaas is a mediocre bowler? Or is it that West Indies play Sri Lanka non-stop? I don't understand the reasoning here.
the reasoning is that Gayle played Vaas better when he dropped himself down the order, while when he was an opener, he got out cheaply to the SL pacer....

Seriously, do you really think Gayle has the correct technique for an opening batsman? I only think he's there because we don't have anyone better!
:unsure:

Mr Mxyzptlk

So Gayle should bat down the order because he has a horrible record against one of the best contemporary left-arm bowlers? How does that make sense? Especially when Lawrence Rowe is not an opener.

shivfan

Banned
So Gayle should bat down the order because he has a horrible record against one of the best contemporary left-arm bowlers? How does that make sense? Especially when Lawrence Rowe is not an opener.
Well, Rowe did open for Jamaica, but when I check the records, I see you're right....

Rowe did tend to come in one down for the Windies, so I guess my jamaica XI would see Gayle opening, and Rowe playing in the middle order. Push them all down one, I guess....
:cool:
gayle averages just under 40 opening for the WI. I can't help feeling he would be averaging more than that if he was at number four.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
the reasoning is that Gayle played Vaas better when he dropped himself down the order, while when he was an opener, he got out cheaply to the SL pacer....

Seriously, do you really think Gayle has the correct technique for an opening batsman? I only think he's there because we don't have anyone better!
:unsure:
When there's no swing around - i.e. at home Gayle should theoretically be perfect for the opening spot, gives good imputous and can be really destructive, only now showing it tbh... expecting big things from him against England if pitches are going to be as flat as it was in St. Kitts.

shivfan

Banned
Okay, I've been bold enough to put up a Jamaica XI. Anyone want to try a Trinidad XI? Or a Barbados XI?

Mr Mx?
:)