• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If other countries had their versions of the IPL...

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'm bored, and the IPL thread has got me thinking. Assuming all test nations could sustain their own versions of the IPL, and market forces dictated no more than 8 franchises per country, which cities would be represented, and who would the icon players for each team be?

And to apply some more thought, which overseas players would be most suitable for each team assuming all domestic players play for their local franchises?

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
In England, we would probably pretend never to have heard of anything as vulgar as market forces (Stanford is a philanthropist, don't you know), dodge the difficult decision and have 20 teams, thus making the whole thing impossible to follow and doomed to be a failure in comparison to the IPL.

Oh, wait...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If English cities were selected, I guess they'd be the following:

London
Manchester
Leeds
Birmingham
Southampton
Cardiff
Newcastle
Nottingham

Basically I've picked the cities where international cricket gets played, except for Newcastle which I've picked in place of Durham (Newcastle, Durham, potato, potata)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
In England, we would probably pretend never to have heard of anything as vulgar as market forces (Stanford is a philanthropist, don't you know), dodge the difficult decision and have 20 teams, thus making the whole thing impossible to follow and doomed to be a failure in comparison to the IPL.

Oh, wait...
Relatively few people watch English domestic cricket. It seems to me a bit stupid to piss off those that do by effectively abolishing the counties (in this form of the game). For instance, I can't see many Sussex fans going to watch "home" games at Southampton or the Oval for a Southampton or South London franchise.

Nor do I see billionaire backers pumping limitless funds into an EPL as they have done with the IPL.

For those two reasons, market forces don't in my view pull in favour of city franchises in this country.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, agree. Not in favour of franchises. Wriote an article about this 6 months or so ago - basically, a lot of the Lancs fanbase, for example, comes from areas that could never dream of supporting a team with a Manchester label. Same with Cardiff & Swansea, Leeds & Sheffield, Southampton & Portsmouth, and pretty much any cities in close proximity of one another

pup11

International Coach
I think its already happening with England thinking about EPL and Australia thinking about revamping the KFC T20 bash into a a bigger and a more international competition, because the IPL has made the other cricket boards realise that T20 has got tremendous financial opportunities, and if they could package together a decent T20 competition on the lines of IPL then they could make some serious money, like every global sport cricket too is driven by money and when the cricket boards realise that they are likely to make make twice or thrice the amount of money from a 6 week T20 tournament as compared to what they make in a whole year, then it won't take much for them to etch out plans for their own tournaments.

susudear

Banned
Haha

I think its already happening with England thinking about EPL and Australia thinking about revamping the KFC T20 bash into a a bigger and a more international competition, because the IPL has made the other cricket boards realise that T20 has got tremendous financial opportunities, and if they could package together a decent T20 competition on the lines of IPL then they could make some serious money, like every global sport cricket too is driven by money and when the cricket boards realise that they are likely to make make twice or thrice the amount of money from a 6 week T20 tournament as compared to what they make in a whole year, then it won't take much for them to etch out plans for their own tournaments.
Full stops please. :laugh:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Sydney (x2?)
Melbourne (x2?)
Adelaide
Perth
Brisbane
Hobart

Or Canberra or Darwin or Cairns or somewhere...