• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

KP in subcont

Xuhaib

International Coach
Was checking his stats for test matches in sub cont he has played 10 matches in sub cont which I would say is quite a decent sample size and for those games his average is a very modest 28, his only hundred came in Pakistan and if we take Dicko's FCA in to account then even that avg would be considerably lower. So what are the reasons for his sub cont failures? Its not like he is poor against spin ,is it because KP like pace on the ball or he just hasn't had his share of luck when he has batted here.

Code:
unfiltered  	2005-2008  	44  	3895  	226  	49.30  	14  	4  	1/0  	107.75  	0  	30  	0  	Profile
filtered 	2005-2008 	10 	548 	100 	28.84 	1 	0 	- 	- 	0 	6 	0

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Pietersen's play this game has been plain shocking and I don't think it's anything much to do with the subcontinent, he just looked completely and totally out-of-nick.

However, his play in Pakistan and India in 2005/06 was similar to his play at home for much of 2005 and pretty well all of 2006 - not really all that good considering how capable a player he is, but with good fortune improving matters considerably.

In Sri Lanka in 2007/08 he, like most of the batting, simply struggled.

I'm not sure there's all that much more to it than coincidence really, but no doubt some will try to think-up some reason or other to try to explain it as non-coincidence.

No doubts, though, his first-chance average in the subcontinent is diabolical. Think he's made 1 chanceless half-century, and a top-score of 60-odd.

Precambrian

Banned
Mainly cuz he hardly has played in Pakistan, and had a good series in Sri Lanka. One more tour to there will say whether Punter's play is an oddity or he doesnt have it in him to bat well in subcontinent.

As for KP. he doesn't have it in him for playing in the subcontinent by proof of so far.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Don't know why we bother playing cricket anywhere else besides the sub-continent, given how meaningless results elsewhere are...

Matt79

Global Moderator
sub continent teams should be sacked of the test status:ph34r:
So that would take Ponting's test average to what, 90? :ph34r:
What ever, spinning tracks are useless unless it is sydney:ph34r:
Spinning tracks are bad as long as Australia finds a decent tweaker. :ph34r:
Yeah, because fear of my team losing (wtf? Do I sound like a 14 year old loser?) is the only reason anyone would find the regular stream of threads and analyses stating that various players are deeply flawed because they've been unable to produce their best in the subcontinent. 8-)

It would be equally tiresome if there were a series of smug threads about the players who have failed in "Australian conditions" or who've not been able to cope with the transition from ODIs to Tests etc.

For the record, a test average is exactly that - its an average of the players performances across all the conditions he's played in. Harping on the fact that one element of those performances have been inferior is no more important that harping on the fact that (presumably) another element has been superior.

Precambrian

Banned
Yeah, because fear of my team losing (wtf? Do I sound like a 14 year old loser?) is the only reason anyone would find the regular stream of threads and analyses stating that various players are deeply flawed because they've been unable to produce their best in the subcontinent. 8-)

It would be equally tiresome if there were a series of smug threads about the players who have failed in "Australian conditions" or who've not been able to cope with the transition from ODIs to Tests etc.

For the record, a test average is exactly that - its an average of the players performances across all the conditions he's played in. Harping on the fact that one element of those performances have been inferior is no more important that harping on the fact that (presumably) another element has been superior.
That's a valid point. However the reason why KP is being analyzed here is because he is supposed to be the best U-30 batsman in the world. So natural that if he is laying claim to the League of the Biggies like Tendulkar, then he has to have a good record in all conditions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

TBH, the subcontinent is 3\8ths of the (current) cricket World (was 1\3 in the days of Zimbabwe being international-standard). If you're to be considered a really serious player, you've got to perform there IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As the OP alluded to, I would be worried about this stat if KP was useless against spin, but he is one of the finest players of it around. I think he'll be okay; can see him scoring a big one for the team next time out.

As far as I know, the Sri Lanka and India (last time) series are the only ones he's played in his whole Test career where he hasn't tonned up, quite impressive really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In Sri Lanka, incidentally, what Pietersen had trouble with (and to an extent this also applied in the following series in New Zealand) was the slowness of the surfaces rather than any turn.

In Pakistan in 2005/06, incidentally, his struggles were odd TSTL, as there was precious little in any of the pitches for either seam or spin. Any half-decent batsman should've camped at the crease that series, yet the only one who did was Inzamam-ul-Haq.