• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think the best bowlers are at present??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah-almost. Not to be confused with Suresh Perera, the right-armer who also appeared at one glance to have a slightly dodgy action.

And of course there have been many other Pereras play for SL.

Isn't Perera the guy who runs around in circles before coming in to chuck it?
This guy cracks me up, what a talentless bowler. Whether or not he chucks it, he still bowls at most 135 km/ph. If you can't even chuck it fast then you shouldn't be bowling at all. I remember McCullum slogged him for 4 sixes or something and gave his wicket away against him. He was absolutely furious and screamed out to the fieldsman (Silva i think) to drop it.

Ah-almost. Not to be confused with Suresh Perera, the right-armer who also appeared at one glance to have a slightly dodgy action.

And of course there have been many other Pereras play for SL.
He was a very talented all-rounder but like many dominant SPL cricketers, he wasn't able to grab hold of his opportunities. Like Kaushal Lokuarachi, he had some severe issues off field.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Hmm...are you sure? :cool:
hmm...i think im sure.i mean icc test bowler of '08,most test wickets in 08,1 of the greatest sr's ever...
hmm now zaheer 'i froze in 2003 WC final' khan: ave in mid 30's,27 wickets in 9 tests in '08,190 odd wickets in 60 odd tests.steyn played about 30 tests less and has bout 40 wickets less.
Yes Steyn owns zaheer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no doubt Steyn is a more effective bowler than Zaheer Khan under most circumstances, as things stand in February 2009. However, Zaheer Khan has not been the same bowler all career, at all - he's gone through plenty of different changes. Mostly, his good spells have been short and his poor ones lengthy, but the most recent good one has been rather lengthier than previous ones.

And as things stand, while Steyn as I say is far better under most circumstances, there are one or two under which I'd prefer Zaheer Khan.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
every time i see zaheer he looks the goods, pace, swing, seam, aggression, but then you look at his record and it's really quite average, i must be missing something, like the subcontinental roads he would have to bowl on a fair bit when teams are piling up 600 and he's bowling 50 overs then getting injured

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
every time i see zaheer he looks the goods, pace, swing, seam, aggression, but then you look at his record and it's really quite average, i must be missing something, like the subcontinental roads he would have to bowl on a fair bit when teams are piling up 600 and he's bowling 50 overs then getting injured
It's a simple case of Zaheer improving his bowling (visibly) in recent times. The numerical results will come in time providing he keeps this standard of bowling up.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
he's been averaging 33 for as long as i can remember, i think maybe fitness is his issue, stringing more than a couple of games together

Rant0r

International 12th Man
you might want to re-order that, and insert clark in there somewhere

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a simple case of Zaheer improving his bowling (visibly) in recent times. The numerical results will come in time providing he keeps this standard of bowling up.
I don't know about that TBH. Of late (ie, the last 3 years), Zaheer has been quite a Flintoff. He's rarely bowled badly, often given the impression of having bowled really well, but rarely returned outstanding figures to really give his team a big boost.

Fortunately, the excellence of the rest of the attack for much of that time has meant this hasn't been a major worry.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know about that TBH. Of late (ie, the last 3 years), Zaheer has been quite a Flintoff. He's rarely bowled badly, often given the impression of having bowled really well, but rarely returned outstanding figures to really give his team a big boost.

Fortunately, the excellence of the rest of the attack for much of that time has meant this hasn't been a major worry.
Hmm indeed. I think until he, Sharma and Flintoff can turn good bowling into wickets regularly I'll have them a clear class below Steyn and Johnson.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Zaheer's biggest problem is that he plays most of his matches in India where conditions aren't really conducive to his style of bowling at all, he has neither the pace or bounce to trouble top class batsmen on the slow surfaces and relies very much on swing (new ball and reverse). If he played for England, New Zealand (well maybe not with these pitches...) or even South Africa he'd probably have much better stats. He's basically a better version of Sidebottom, who was pretty impotent in the subcontinent too I believe. If he had another 10kmph consistently (quite an ask!) he'd be much more dangerous on the flat decks. That said I was very impressed with his bouncer in the last test.

Regarding Ishant and Flintoff, I think they have different problems. Ishant still slips in the odd 4 ball a bit too often and his spells can vary from unplayable to pretty pedestrian. Flintoff on the other hand is consistent, however his length is also consistently too short. His back of a length style looks great and is difficult to get away but it rarely gets bags of wickets because he doesn't get the batsmen driving, as my coach used to tell me as a kid, you've got to pitch the ball up!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Zaheer's biggest problem is that he plays most of his matches in India where conditions aren't really conducive to his style of bowling at all, he has neither the pace or bounce to trouble top class batsmen on the slow surfaces and relies very much on swing (new ball and reverse).
No bowler ever troubles batsmen with pace or bounce alone. They simply compliment and extend the effectiveness of the ability to swing the ball. And TBH, I don't think Zaheer Khan would neccessarily be massively more effective in India were he taller and\or quicker. Conditions in India often have suited him, and he's bowled well in them. As long as the ball swings - which it sometimes does, sometimes doesn't in India - then conditions are conducive. In any case, swing is largely to do with the ball not the conditions.