• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09

GGG

State Captain
The only reason I would stick with redmond is if they alowed him to developed and use him as a second spinner, he isn't good enough as a opener alone in my opinion.

Flem274*

123/5
we'll see how things go. He has to work on his back foot shots.

like I said before, Mark Greatbatch used to coach Hay and said he was an opener and said he would have no hesitation in putting him in to open in the NZ team. I havent even seen Hay play but thats a good enough endorsement for me. He should at least be considered as an opening option. Sorry Flem, former NZ cricketer and his former coach that knows the guy personally outranks your opinion in my book.

Flynn, just because he seems like a tough nut, and seems to have an openers apporiach to things, ...... and when clutching at straws, at least take an educated guess.

Franklin, I dont know. The problem is for me someone has to do it, we cant just send nobody out and when the bowler hits the wickets with the first ball, send in our no3...... or can we?
Fair call, though former players are always full of BS about their prodigies capabilities I'll have you know. :p

In any case, I doubt even Greatbatch would want Hay opening with the form he has atm. Too much for the guy.

I will say this for Hay as an opener though, I've seen him play (20/20 :p) and his footwork is better than most of our concrete boots openers. Has a back foot too. Unfortunately he's a very square of the wicket player and struggles to hit the ball off the pitch block straight, he can do it but his drives down the gorund for four are hit and miss.

Athlai

Not Terrible
ND hanging on :wacko: highly frustrating. Without a breakthrough soon you have to back ND to have held out for the draw thanks to MR James Marshall.

Flem274*

123/5
ND hanging on :wacko: highly frustrating. Without a breakthrough soon you have to back ND to have held out for the draw thanks to MR James Marshall.
Can't Franklin or Gillespie knock the ****s head off?

Nah, he'll get out to a part timer I reckon, useless bowler to get a useless batsman.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think conditions in this match meant the first 20 overs were difficult yet after that it wasn't too difficult. So Marshall after a bit of early hardwork is capitalizing in good batting conditions. Fair play to him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think ND are gonna get away with this. I also think Franklin bowling so few overs today won't help his selection chances. I'm developing a strange feeling that he won't be picked up for the Windies series.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Marshall with a well deserved ton steered his side home here, along with some very good work from Boult in every innings.

Natman20

International Debutant
2!!!!!!!! Get Gillespie in the Black Caps. :ph34r:
haha. No way. He has always been like this in domestic cricket and has already proven himself on multiple occassions as a poor bowler economy wise in internationals. I question why they have persisted with him for so long but yeah.

Franklin is only bowling shortesh spells and thats probably what may rule him out of the squad but surely his batting alone is enough.

Athlai

Not Terrible
haha. No way. He has always been like this in domestic cricket and has already proven himself on multiple occassions as a poor bowler economy wise in internationals. I question why they have persisted with him for so long but yeah.

Franklin is only bowling shortesh spells and thats probably what may rule him out of the squad but surely his batting alone is enough.
Taking the piss TBH don't like Gillespie in any of our teams.

Athlai

Not Terrible
NZ Openers this season

JM How 170, 0, 14, 0, 16, 28 @ 38
AJ Redmond 5, 13, 3, 10, 83, 19 @ 22.17

Ranked through average

(Well)MD Bell 146, 122, 3 @ 90.33
(Ot)CD Cumming 85, 31, 133 @ 83
(CD)PJ Ingram 37, 1, 247, 33 @ 79.5
(Auck)TG McIntosh 140, 9, 1, 8, 191, 78 @ 71.17
(Well)JM Brodie 40, 2, 110 @ 50.67
(ND)BJ Watling 21, 40, 2, 111 @ 43.5
(Cant)MHW Papps 14, 26, 16, 40, 53, 35 @ 30.66
(Auck)RA Jones 28, 22, 5, 25, 69 @ 29.8
(Ot)SB Haig 52, 28*, 0 @ 26.67
(ND)CJ Merchant 0, 25, 89, 7, 10, 16 @ 24.5
(CD)GH Worker 24, 27, 11, 22 @ 21
(ND)BS Wilson 36, 1 @ 18.5
(Ot)HD Rutherford 0, 31 @ 15.5
(Cant)TD Astle 0, 23, 1, 26, 4, 29 @ 13.83
(Auck)MJ Guptill 10 @ 10

Last edited:

Natman20

International Debutant
I am quite impressed at the turnover of centuries this season which i am sure is unlike other seasons. It shows that we have quite a few talented batsmen or our quality of bowlers has gone down or the pitches have now become more batsmen oriented. It is always good when it is hard to pick batsmen.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Cumming working his way up through the list again here, could potentially score a big hundred today.