• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saeed Anwar lucky?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Let me help you out on this one. When someone says "fortune favours the brave", they do not actually mean that there is a conscious mind up there somewhere making a deliberate decision. Likewise if we say that "Lady Luck is smiling on him" we do not actually think that there is a lady, smiling or otherwise.

These are things we call "figures of speech". And before you challenge that, no, they're not really figures either.
I'm aware they're just figures of speech, but nonetheless they're inaccurate. If being brave is affecting something (and I don't feel it does - apart maybe from the fact the "brave"r you are, the more opportunities you're going to get to get lucky) then what it's affecting isn't luck.

So hence, I don't feel being brave (ie, playing strokes) makes you more likely to get catches dropped or stumpings missed off you.

Here's an action shot of zaremba taken shortly after reading that reply.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Lawl at this thread tbh. I remember the times I used to argue with people in CC over little things as well, luckily I was over all that by the time Richard made his comeback.