• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Allrounder All Time?

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I would still rate Sobers above Botham. The rest of the order seems all right. If only Cairns was more consistent and less injury prone he would be a lot higher. I would have thought Kapil Dev might have been on that list.

Anoop

U19 12th Man
Kapil is a true all-rounder...

He was at one time the "flag-staff" of our batting line-up.

I remember (well saw on TV some time back), Kapil hitting 4 sixes in a row to avoid follow on in a test match. (He had the Number 11 on the other end)..

Could a bowler do that?

Was India's batting pretty poor when Kapil played. Still, ya gotta admit 4 sixes in a row is special, but his average is still not as good as others, say Gary Sobers

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Botham could do both to an incredibly good standard. If he couldn't bowl, he would have been in for batting, and if he couldn't bat, he would have been in for bowling. Plus the slip catching...

In my mind he's comfortably #1

Sidney Swinger

Cricket Spectator
IMHO, Imran Khan was the best all-rounder ever.

Sobers was, of course, a far better batsman, but his bowling was not in the 'great' league.

Imran's captaincy skills were legendary. His personal batting and bowling averages improved when he was captain, suggesting that he could also handle personal pressure situations better than most.

Keith Miller was the third best all-rounder after Imran and Sobers.

In fourth place, I would put Mike Proctor, with Botham and Kapil Dev battling for 5th place.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Looking at a list of top bowlers in terms of Test wickets, Kapil and Botham both had an average of 5 more than any of the other top 10 Test wicket takers. This suggests to me their bowling feats are based more on longevity than quality.

IMO Hadlee wasn't a good enough batsman to be the best in history - Sobers would take that IMO, although he did play in a different era, without one day games to the extent they exist now, which may in some ways make his figures look a little better than they would be?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Garfield Sobers was nothing short of brilliant! He averaged over 57 with the bat and took 200+ wickets. You can't argue with that. Plus he was a brilliant fielder. He took some of the most breathtaking catches at leg slip.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Hadlee wasn't a greater batsman than Botham or Dev, but Hadlee took about 20-30 test matches less than the rest to get to 400 test wickets.

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
The great thing about Sobers (who without doubt is the greatest) is that he could bowl anything. Fast, chinamen and slow left arm, he could do anything. Have you seen the clip of him hitting six sixes off an over? That's how great he was.