• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Allrounder All Time?

Fusion

Global Moderator
I guess I'm joining an old debate here, but I'd rank Sobers as the best, then closely followed by Imran. Imran missed almost 3 years in his prime due to injury. Add to that the games he missed because of joining the Packer league and sitting out Miandad-led games during the player's revolt (all of this he has only himself to blame of course). It's highly probable that Imran would be a member of the 500 club if he hadn't missed all those games. I know, I know, injuries are a part of the game and we can't really dwell on the "what if's". However, I still think that Imran in his prime was the second best all-rounder ever.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Anyone fancy drawing up an all time XI of allrounders?
I give it a go :D

1. K Dev
2. C Walcott (wk)
3. J Kallis
4. K Miller
5. G Sobers
6. C Carins
7. A Flintoff
8. I Botham
9. I Khan (vc)
10. R Hadlee
11. R Benaud (c)

Did i miss anyone?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
I give it a go :D

1. K Dev
2. C Walcott (wk)
3. J Kallis
4. K Miller
5. G Sobers
6. C Carins
7. A Flintoff
8. I Botham
9. I Khan (vc)
10. R Hadlee
11. R Benaud (c)

Did i miss anyone?
I'd say you missed guys like Proctor, Barlow and Mankad, two of whom were opening batsmen, which would solve your problem with Dev and Walcott up there.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, on the original point, the top five for me in order:

Gary Sobers
Imran Khan
Keith Miller
Ian Botham
Mike Proctor

The last one didn't play as much test cricket as he might have, of course, so Kapil could fit in there.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd say you missed guys like Proctor, Barlow and Mankad, two of whom were opening batsmen, which would solve your problem with Dev and Walcott up there.
I know you rate Proctor and i rate him as a FC cricketer but he only played a handful of Tests, so i find it hard to put him infront of guys that preformed over a long period at test level. If i picked a more balanced side then Barlow and Goddard opening the batting. Mankad good but i think there are better all rounders, but his probably the 2nd best spin bowling all rounder.

Another team thats more balanced would look something like this:

1. T Goddard
2. E Barlow
3. J Kallis
4 K Miller
5. G Sobers
6. C Walcott (wk)
7. I Botham
8. I Khan (vc)
9. Kapil Dev
10. R Hadlee
11. R Benaud (c)

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Top 10 allrounders IMO:

1. Sobers
2. Imran Khan
3. Keith Miller
4. Richard Hadlee
5. Kapil Dev
6. Vinoo Mankad
7. Jacques Kallis
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Ritchie Benaud
10. Ian Botham.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
C_C said:
Top 10 allrounders IMO:

1. Sobers
2. Imran Khan
3. Keith Miller
4. Richard Hadlee
5. Kapil Dev
6. Vinoo Mankad
7. Jacques Kallis
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Ritchie Benaud
10. Ian Botham.
Dunno what everyone else thinks, but surely Bothom is better then Pollock

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Buddhmaster said:
I wouldn't have Pollock in my top ten personally, but when he retires people will look at his stats and say he must have been on of the great all rounders, batting ave of 30odd and bowling of 20odd. Whereas better all rounders like Carins, Dev, Botham, Flintoff and Mankad will all be around 30/30. Kind of shows how stats are misleading.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Buddhmaster said:
Dont think so- Botham definately was a better batsman than Pollock but IMO Pollock is a better bowler by a considerable distance.

C_C

International Captain
Actually in light of better catching by Botham, i would rate him higher than Pollock. Just a regular swap between #10 and # 8.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Buddhmaster said:
Agreed. Not even close, in my opinion. Botham is a better bowler by a narrow margin, and a better batsman by a mammoth margin, and a much better fielder as well.