• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Piyush Chawla - ODI Standard?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
See, the fact that you think Sarwan may not be test standard just makes me wonder what the hell that term means.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
See, the fact that you think Sarwan may not be test standard just makes me wonder what the hell that term means.
Yeah, Sarwan's definitely Test standard for mine. Just depends on how high you think that standard is, I suppose.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Relax Manee its not a pot shot at you. I just really don't get the term, with regards to how its used on the boards.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Twas a serious question, itbt.
Does Chawla deserve to be in the Indian XI is a better question.

The answer can go either way, and the fact that the answer can go either way suggests that he is 'ODI standard' IMO. If you can make the XI as the main ODI spinner for the Indian cricket team, you are ODI standard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Does Chawla deserve to be in the Indian XI is a better question.

The answer can go either way, and the fact that the answer can go either way suggests that he is 'ODI standard' IMO. If you can make the XI as the main ODI spinner for the Indian cricket team, you are ODI standard.
See, that's just silly. If you're going for 5-an-over and not threatening, you're not ODI-standard regardless of how often you get picked.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Its so vague.
Care to suggest an alternative?
Is Strauss test class?
Yes, of course.
No.
No currently, but he could be I think.
Shane Watson?
Probably.
Brad Hodge?
Yes, probably.
A question I always asked. Overwhelmingly I've thought "no".
Matthew Richardson?
Obviously not.
Salman Butt?
No, not currently.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
See, that's just silly. If you're going for 5-an-over and not threatening, you're not ODI-standard regardless of how often you get picked.
lol, Richard... If every bowler and batsman playing the game were upto the standards you keep (in order to call them ODI standard or Test standard).. Every batsman would average 40+ striking at 85+ and every bowler would average in the mid 20s and have an ER of 4.5.

The numbers just won't add up. :ph34r: :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It goes without saying that the more good ODI bowlers there are, the more difficult it is to be a good ODI batsman.

Maybe under those circumstances the bar must be lowered. There is no absolute number to put on it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It goes without saying that the more good ODI bowlers there are, the more difficult it is to be a good ODI batsman.

Maybe under those circumstances the bar must be lowered. There is no absolute number to put on it.
I get all that. I am just saying that you are keeping the bar way too high. There is always place for ordinariness in everything... There is a place for ordinary bowlers and ordinary batters in ODIs.

Whoa, getting all mixed up here. What I am trying to tell here is that ODI standard should not necessarily mean being a good ODI bowler/batsman. It should be possible for people like Chawla to be rated as ODI standard whilst they are not "good" ODI bowlers, at least going by the stats so far.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I get all that. I am just saying that you are keeping the bar way too high. There is always place for ordinariness in everything... There is a place for ordinary bowlers and ordinary batters in ODIs.

Whoa, getting all mixed up here. What I am trying to tell here is that ODI standard should not necessarily mean being a good ODI bowler/batsman. It should be possible for people like Chawla to be rated as ODI standard whilst they are not "good" ODI bowlers, at least going by the stats so far.
No HB; you're either 'excellent' or 'worth less than Zimbabwe dollars' as an international cricketer. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Of course there is, but "ordinary" is ODI-standard.

For instance - Damien Martyn and Ricky Ponting were both Test-class batsmen. Martyn was merely ordinary; Ponting was rather more than that.