• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sabres Beat the Oulaws

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
A superb win today for the lads against the Notts Outlaws who are no slouches in one day cricket with Gallian, Afzaal, Macgill, Elworthy as well as Kevin Pietersen and Shafayat in their ranks.
Congratulations to Jamie Cox who set the tone with a quick ton and then to Gareth Andrew and Simon Francis for sharing six wickets.

One question though, I checked on Teletext who reported that Notts needed 315 from 35 overs. This had me puzzled somewhat as we only scored 293. is this the dreaded D/L system and surely it doesn't add runs to your total??!! I'm a little confused (doesn't take much :D ) as the victory margin appears to be 49 runs which again doesn't seem to add up. Then again I scraped C at GCSE Maths many moons ago so perhaps I have some maths issues I need to resolve - any thoughts folks?? 8D

John

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What D/L did here was take into account the fact that Somerset started their innings expecting to bat for 45 overs and not 35.

I'm not sure when the rain came, but whenever it was D/L looked at the wickets down at that stage, it revised the score upwards to take into account the fact that they missed out on the extra slog overs.

The 49 runs is easier to explain (and understand!).

Because Notts were set a target of 315, the Somerset "score" was 314. 314-265 = 49.

That said, it's lucky for Somerset Pietersen didn't get goin, especially after the platform provided by Gallian and Afzaal!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It sounded quite an exceptional game.

This season, there's been some amazing run chases (not all successful, of course).

It seems that no target offers security

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Marc's right. The rain came at 2/220ish after 25 overs. With 20 overs to go they were just about to accelerate (even more). Had they known it was 35 overs a side at that point, they would have been going for more big shots than they already were from an earlier point, hence the revision upwards to 314.

And your confusion over the margin of victory reminds me a little of a certain Mark Boucher a couple of months ago...