Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the "t" sign

the "t" sign

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/india...ry/354984.html

Umpire review system to be trialled in India-Sri Lanka Tests..

I notice know mention of the use of hot spot...

veiws..outcomes..??

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Like the idea, except:

1. T sign? That's just stupid.
    2. What is the criteria for overturning? Will the benefit of the doubt always go to the batsman? Or will a more sane system be trialled - as in, the benefit of the doubt goes to the on field umpire. If there is clear evidence he was wrong, he is overturned, otherwise his decision stands.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Interesting to see how that works out. I think it would really slow the game down.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    1. What is the criteria for overturning? Will the benefit of the doubt always go to the batsman? Or will a more sane system be trialled - as in, the benefit of the doubt goes to the on field umpire. If there is clear evidence he was wrong, he is overturned, otherwise his decision stands.
    That would be the only thing that makes sense.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Interesting to see how that works out. I think it would really slow the game down.
    You only get 3 unsuccessful ones per innings...

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    You only get 3 unsuccessful ones per innings...
    Ah, must've missed that part.

well i'm for this and all but why are they trying this is tests 1st? shouldn't it go 20/20 then odi's then tests? another thing, why can't the third umpire just straight out go with the decision or overturn it instead of wasting time by going back to the on field umpire and then they overturning their own discision? pointless, they should just do it like they do it now when the 3rd umpire is refered.

I don't care about the T sign but i think thorw red flags to challenge a call would be ill, like in the nfl. so the umpires can't call on the third umpires on their own anymorre besides boundary line dicisions?

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    I think it's a good idea which should eliminate or at least greatly reduce the number of outrageously bad dismissals in tests. Fiascos like the Sydney test will be much less likely as a result. 3 wrong appeals per innings seems about right to me; I doubt it will slow down play significantly.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Not much opportunity to properly test an appeals system when an innings is 50 overs or shorter. Logical that they'd test it in Tests then.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

I have been waiting for this.If it was tried in the present test the windies may have won it .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Not much opportunity to properly test an appeals system when an innings is 50 overs or shorter. Logical that they'd test it in Tests then.
    but isn't there a thing like"oh it's test you don't mess with it" and try everything else 1st in one day cricket?

Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    but isn't there a thing like"oh it's test you don't mess with it" and try everything else 1st in one day cricket?
    Makes much more sense to do it in Tests here though. That is, if they're intent to doing it in international cricket.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer MrHat's Avatar
    From what i remember of the World11 farce the effect could be pretty startling, depending on which method they use. If they go with the video ref as final decision maker the game will IMO be much shorter, as batsmen who'd be normally reprieved via the benefit of the doubt won't anymore. There are alot more wrong decisions favouring the not outs than outs. The likes of Murali was given alot of LBW's originally denied by the ump if memory serves.

Aside from helping the bowler i think it hurts the atmosphere a bit, there's something intangilable and mysterious about an umpire raising his finger according to his own judgement. Everyone forgets this of course when they cop a raw one. Overall its a good idea. If it can eliminate some of the controversies surrounding cricket lately everyone will be relieved. In soccer a poor referee can quickly lose control of the game with a bad decision and things can escalate from there.
    Last edited by MrHat; 16-06-2008 at 11:44 AM.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer MrHat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan View Post
    I have been waiting for this.If it was tried in the present test the windies may have won it .
    I am not watching but Bravo was let off a few times apparently. The WI commentators mentioned Symonds reprieves whenever they mentioned him but quickly forgot about Bravo's and when he got out it was all talk of a promising innings cut short. This is hopefully the kind of rubbish the 3rd ump will sort out.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHat View Post
    I am not watching but Bravo was let off a few times apparently. The WI commentators mentioned Symonds reprieves whenever they mentioned him but quickly forgot about Bravo's and when he got out it was all talk of a promising innings cut short. This is hopefully the kind of rubbish the 3rd ump will sort out.
    The commentators mentioned Bravo's let-offs several times, actually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information