• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 Champions League confirmed

Precambrian

Banned
Call in Younis Khan or Kamran Akmal...There are plenty of other non-Indian contracted players around...
Yeah I don't see anything wrong in that, Rajasthan is under no obligation to let go any of their players. You don't know when one of them get injured and another has to take his place. Also it is perfectly legal. And as long as the national team is not affected, I don't see any point.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Does the 4 overseas players per team rule applies to the Champions League too?
Yeah, tragically I think the overseas players rule of your own domestic competition applies, pretty messed up really

Also, and I think TT Boy's link above may already say this, you're not allowed to play players that you've signed for next season, which is beyond farce. Special loan arrangements I agree are a joke but if a player is yours you should be able to play him.

This competition had a lot of potential, but for one reason and another I doubt I'll bother watching much of it now, it's just coming across as another opportunity for BCCI to show everyone who they think the boss is

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah, tragically I think the overseas players rule of your own domestic competition applies, pretty messed up really

Also, and I think TT Boy's link above may already say this, you're not allowed to play players that you've signed for next season, which is beyond farce. Special loan arrangements I agree are a joke but if a player is yours you should be able to play him.

This competition had a lot of potential, but for one reason and another I doubt I'll bother watching much of it now, it's just coming across as another opportunity for BCCI to show everyone who they think the boss is
Nah, I'm fine with the rules. I don't think any of the non-Indian teams have more than 4 overseas players, so the only team affected by it are the Indian ones, and I support the 4 overseas player rule in the IPL anyway.

Makes sense to disallow new players signed up after the domestic championship as well; prevents teams from going on a shopping spree before the CL just to boost their chances of getting their hands on the $5 million. It also avoids the ridiculous situation of ineligible players hopping between teams like one of the South African administrators was suggesting they were going to allow.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, I'm fine with the rules. I don't think any of the non-Indian teams have more than 4 overseas players, so the only team affected by it are the Indian ones, and I support the 4 overseas player rule in the IPL anyway.

Makes sense to disallow new players signed up after the domestic championship as well; prevents teams from going on a shopping spree before the CL just to boost their chances of getting their hands on the $5 million. It also avoids the ridiculous situation of ineligible players hopping between teams like one of the South African administrators was suggesting they were going to allow.
I said they shouldn't allow loan signings, but to not allow players who are now Middlesex players play is quite frankly ridiculous.

As for the overseas players, it does make sense, but it is a totally skewed competition that some sides are allowed more overseas players than others. Honestly, the whole thing is a total farce.

Imagine if UEFA barred Deco from playing for Chelsea in this year's CL, because he didn't play for them last season :laugh: It's a ridiculous thought.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I said they shouldn't allow loan signings, but to not allow players who are now Middlesex players play is quite frankly ridiculous.

As for the overseas players, it does make sense, but it is a totally skewed competition that some sides are allowed more overseas players than others. Honestly, the whole thing is a total farce.

Imagine if UEFA barred Deco from playing for Chelsea in this year's CL, because he didn't play for them last season :laugh: It's a ridiculous thought.
How can you guarantee that any new signings aren't specifically brought in for the purpose of winning the CL?

The overseas thing isn't skewed. When England and Australia come up with their own versions of the IPL, don't you think they're going to allow something in the range of 4 overseas players per team too?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, I like the rule. This competition is supposed to determine the best of the franchises. It doesn't make sense if you allow a franchise to change from what got them int the first place. I know middlesex is hurting, but this rule helps everyone not in the IPL because otherwise IPL owners might 'buy' all the star players from every other team in the IPL just for this purpose, and you could have an Indian XI + four world superstars being fielded for Bangalore or something. It wouldn't be workable.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How can you guarantee that any new signings aren't specifically brought in for the purpose of winning the CL?

The overseas thing isn't skewed. When England and Australia come up with their own versions of the IPL, don't you think they're going to allow something in the range of 4 overseas players per team too?
So what if they bring signings in to win the CL?? Like I said, as long as they aren't just loaning them, then they are Middlesex players, who'll play in the championship, the Pro40, etc, so not letting them play in the CL is ridiculous.

The overseas thing, it is fair enough in a way, because as I said I'm against loan signings. So yeah, no way around that, if ECB/CA etc want to rectify that they can change their own rules

G.I.Joe

International Coach
So what if they bring signings in to win the CL?? Like I said, as long as they aren't just loaning them, then they are Middlesex players, who'll play in the championship, the Pro40, etc, so not letting them play in the CL is ridiculous.

The overseas thing, it is fair enough in a way, because as I said I'm against loan signings. So yeah, no way around that, if ECB/CA etc want to rectify that they can change their own rules
Well, whats the guarantee the new signings aren't going to be prematurely released soon after the CL? Now, that would make a mockery of the entire thing. A $ 5 million bounty is good enough incentive for short term mutual understandings to develop between teams and other players.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Then they can play next year after playing a domestic season with Middlesex. The team that did well in the domestic championship is who should play.
Forget my Football CL example earlier, let's scale it down a bit.

Let me tell you about a team called Hull City. They were promoted from the Championship last season. They are currently somewhere near the top of the Premiership. Imagine if the FA said, "the side that got you promoted must participate in the Premiership!"

They and all other Championship sides would be ****ed forever,. It's such a bollocks ruling, cricket is so embarassing for silly rules like this

edit - not to mention that the side that got Middx there will be depleted through internationals. And what about in future, if a player's contract ends in September and another county snaps him up quickfire. There's then a chance that he might not be able to represent his old side because he's not registered with them anymore, but nor can he be replaced

I do realise these are the comp rules and Middx were probably aware, but in general it's a silly ruling, whichever side is weakened by it

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Forget my Football CL example earlier, let's scale it down a bit.

Let me tell you about a team called Hull City. They were promoted from the Championship last season. They are currently somewhere near the top of the Premiership. Imagine if the FA said, "the side that got you promoted must participate in the Premiership!"

They and all other Championship sides would be ****ed forever,. It's such a bollocks ruling, cricket is so embarassing for silly rules like this

edit - not to mention that the side that got Middx there will be depleted through internationals. And what about in future, if a player's contract ends in September and another county snaps him up quickfire. There's then a chance that he might not be able to represent his old side because he's not registered with them anymore, but nor can he be replaced

I do realise these are the comp rules and Middx were probably aware, but in general it's a silly ruling, whichever side is weakened by it
How are you going to stop wealthy teams from buying up players just before the CL in order to boost their chances of winning the prize?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not? Like I say, if they are signed on permanent deals, then fair play to them

The idea of sport at club level is that you build a team as strong as you can, rather than the international game which is about players of said nationality

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

OK, so what's stopping people from making deals for the money that allows players to move 'permanently', and then move back out again after the series.

When this much money is at stake, you know they'll do whatever it takes. The rules make sense here. Cricket would be a joke if they allowed people to just buy whoever they want for a couple games.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'm not? Like I say, if they are signed on permanent deals, then fair play to them

The idea of sport at club level is that you build a team as strong as you can, rather than the international game which is about players of said nationality
See, now that is truly ridiculous. Allow that and you'll see fans whinging about how the IPL teams (or whichever teams happen to be most wealthy at the time) have reduced the CL to a farce by signing up all the players they can afford to, thus weakening the other teams. There is absolutely no way you can rely on the so called permanent deals. The entire crux of your argument, the permanent deals, is on a weak footing. The IPL runs for 6 weeks a year. They'd need to sign up players for just that period. That would constitute a permanent deal, wouldn't it? There's none of that FC cricket or Pro40 and whatever for them to worry about. Wait for Australia/NZ/SA to come up with their league and you'd see the same.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
OK, so what's stopping people from making deals for the money that allows players to move 'permanently', and then move back out again after the series.

When this much money is at stake, you know they'll do whatever it takes. The rules make sense here. Cricket would be a joke if they allowed people to just buy whoever they want for a couple games.
Indeed. Add to that the fact that the courts in England have apparently passed a ruling which means that the counties cannot deny their players the right to play in other leagues (the ICL) simultaneously, we'd end up in a farce with players signing "permanent" deals with other teams of convenience left, right and centre.