• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cute!! Batting super-stars of tomorrow !!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Geez, two throwaway comments and it provokes a lecture both times. That's it, I'm abandoning brevity. You've all been warned; I'm gonna make Richard seem mute.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Geez, two throwaway comments and it provokes a lecture both times. That's it, I'm abandoning brevity. You've all been warned; I'm gonna make Richard seem mute.
Sorry for the lecture will keep the 'admonition' in mind for the future. :)

BTW, I did not really write about the concrete due to that last post of yours but because of an earlier comment about the pitch seeming to be like concrete. Still I will be careful :) :)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BTW, I did not really write about the concrete due to that last post of yours but because of an earlier comment about the pitch seeming to be like concrete :)
You do realise I knew it was concrete?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Care to elaborate?
Sure, I have a 3 yr old kid and there is no way Im even going to try and coach technical cricket.

Kids at that age, IMO, need to explore and not have an overly structured environment. I cant imagine any father thinking that working on their 3 yrs cover drive makes them a good parent.

Could my little boy do that? Maybe, but Id have no intentions of finding out.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sure, I have a 3 yr old kid and there is no way Im even going to try and coach technical cricket.

Kids at that age, IMO, need to explore and not have an overly structured environment. I cant imagine any father thinking that working on their 3 yrs cover drive makes them a good parent.

Could my little boy do that? Maybe, but Id have no intentions of finding out.
Well said Goughy.

I was in delhi last winter visiting a cricket academy and there was this father who brought his seven year old and was telling the coach that he must make him into a star batsman and was not happy that the boy was not yet batting in the nets to the older boys.

The boy was looking very ill at ease. I aksed the father why he was in such a hurry and that the boy had time. He looked at me as if I had come from Mars.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, rather than looking to be a star, I dont think kids should be playing organised, coached cricket until about 8 (street cricket or garden cricket are different and based on trying new things and experimenting. Hitting the ball hard and running around in an unstructured environment is positive).

There has to be a foundation that the technique is based on. Otherwise it is just like a dancing monkey that doesnt understand why it moves to the music. It actually hurts the develpment of the athlete as the basic work was never done in order to get a shortcut ahead (God only knows why people think this is anything but a terrible idea)

3-4-5 yrs old a child should be learning body control. How it moves and how to control it. Basic gymnastics, martial arts and fun activities etc.

5-6-7 ball skills development. Variety of activities with differnt parts of the body and different ball. From the basic to the complicated where the child learns and experiments.

There is no exact right or wrong in the actual balance, apart from that it must be progressive and natural.

Interesing Nick Bollettieri (World Famous Tennis Coach) doesnt believe children should start Tennis until 7 or 8 as so "they concentrate on developing their hand/eye coordination through activities like playing catch, kicking a soccer ball or martial arts"

The idea to jump straight to organised technical coaching a) Serves no purpose as there is no competition b) Hurts development as it misses important steps out and c) starts to define whats important in a Father/Son relationship very early and places it under a potential massive amount of strain.

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
Damn, Goughy, if I park my motorbike under a moving lorry on the way home today...will you raise my kids for me?

Basically agree with everything you say there.