• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best left arm test seamer?

Best left arm test seamer?

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
He could average in the mid thirties but not in the twenties. He'd need alot of swinging conditions for that to happen. He would also play a high percentage of games in Australia which isn't the nicest place for swing bowling.
Bracken could average in the twenties. 27+ but Australia wants 25 or less. Them's the breaks, he's a fantastic bowler who is unfairly bracketed in the ODI only slot due to prior failings. Might not be the best option Aussie have but he could make pretty much any other team in the world.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Mithcell Johnson: still not decided about him, but leaning towards the thought that he will be replaced soon or just be carried along (like Lee was for a period of time). But with Tait still fragile, his closest challenges come from Hilfenhaus and Bollinger.

Pathan: best all-rounder on the list. Too bad to see that his bowling form has gone and with uprise of Sharma, its going to be hard for him to be a regular in the Test team. At 23, I believe that his the most potential out of everyone on the list.
Agreed about Pathan. I don't know about Mitchell Johnson, he's a bit like Jimmy Anderson, lots of potential, but whether they realize it before its too late?

masterblaster

International Captain
At the moment Ryan Sidebottom is clearly the leader of the pack. Chaminda Vaas is probably the best out of the current choice from a career perspective.

pup11

International Coach
Vaas by mile, the rest have done nothing over a long period. Even though Bracken doesn't play Tests. I would have him at 2nd overall as well.
Completly agree with this, i think Vass never gets his due for all the contributions he has made to Sri Lankan over the past decade, he always seems to get over-shadowed by Murali, but Vass is a champion performer and is the best left-arm seamer in my book as far as test match cricket is concerned, likes of Zaheer and Sidebottom come a distant second, i also agree that if Bracken would be a given a chance now at the test level he might do very well, he is a much more complete bowler now, then he was when he was previously given a chance at the test level, his recent Pura cup efforts also indicate that, in Odi cricket Bracken is easily the best left-arm seamer atm, and not only that one could also argue that he is probably also the best Odi bowler in the world atm.

pup11

International Coach
Agreed about Pathan. I don't know about Mitchell Johnson, he's a bit like Jimmy Anderson, lots of potential, but whether they realize it before its too late?
IMO, Johnson still has to learn a lot more tricks of the trade, if has to make any impact as a test bowler, in Odi's he can get away without moving the ball both ways but in test's he wouldn't trouble too many batsmen if he can't move the off the seam or swing it, so he has got too work on that, but he has got tremendous natural ability, he can make the ball rise off a good length and generate good heat, so if in addition to this he can start moving the ball both ways he would then be really dangerous.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
From a career perspective:

Vaas>Sidebottom>Franklin>Johnson>Khan>Collins>Pathan>RP Singh

Right now:

Sidebottom>Khan/Vaas>Johnson>Pathan>Collins>RP Singh

masterblaster

International Captain
From a career perspective:

Vaas>Sidebottom>Franklin>Johnson>Khan>Collins>Pathan>RP Singh

Right now:

Sidebottom>Khan/Vaas>Johnson>Pathan>Collins>RP Singh
I'm not sure why you rate Franklin so high. Although he's very talented, he's never really done anything of note whenever I've seen him bowl. Zaheer Khan would've been the better choice after Vaas and Sidebottom. But you are entitled to your opinion. :)

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not sure why you rate Franklin so high. Although he's very talented, he's never really done anything of note whenever I've seen him bowl. Zaheer Khan would've been the better choice after Vaas and Sidebottom. But you are entitled to your opinion. :)
James Franklin is a bloody good test seamer. For a start he has a test 5-for vs Australia IIRC and his test career to date with an average of 28 and a SR of 47 is pretty darn good. (his ODI career is cringeworthy however). Zaheer Khan, like most Indian seamers, is written up far too much in tests. A fine ODI seamer but not better than Franklin in tests. *Waits for accusations of bias and trolling from Indian fans*

Voted Johnson, then realised it was Tests :@
Haha, thought it was an Aussie who voted Johnson TBH. Who would you have picked otherwise out of interest?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sidebottom is without a doubt the current best but Pathan has the most potential, imo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wasim is the best left-armer ever IMO.
Debatable. Davidson criminally underestimated due to his lack of charisma for my money.

Anyway, as so many have said, Vaas clearly on top if it's a career that's under consideration, but in the last year Sidebottom has been better. Don't feel anyone else has, however - Zaheer Khan's prowess overstated in this respect.

James Franklin more than a little underestimated too, though for totally different reasons to Davidson. Franklin, to date, remains a disappointment to me however - I've always thought he could've done more than he has. New Zealand's lack of Test cricket is one impediment; his injury problems another; but even so, I still find his economy-rates disappointing, often. A bowler you always feel can go to pieces any minute, despite being as dangerous as pretty much anyone most of the time.

Oh, and on that note, been hugely disappointed at the turn Pedro Collins' career has taken since 2005 too. From 2004 onwards, always thought he had the potential to be a damn good Test bowler, but now looks exceedingly unlikely.

Neither Pathan nor Rudra Pratap Singh I particularly rate the chances of amounting to much ITBT.

Flem274*

123/5
Debatable. Davidson criminally underestimated due to his lack of charisma for my money.

Anyway, as so many have said, Vaas clearly on top if it's a career that's under consideration, but in the last year Sidebottom has been better. Don't feel anyone else has, however - Zaheer Khan's prowess overstated in this respect.

James Franklin more than a little underestimated too, though for totally different reasons to Davidson. Franklin, to date, remains a disappointment to me however - I've always thought he could've done more than he has. New Zealand's lack of Test cricket is one impediment; his injury problems another; but even so, I still find his economy-rates disappointing, often. A bowler you always feel can go to pieces any minute, despite being as dangerous as pretty much anyone most of the time.

Oh, and on that note, been hugely disappointed at the turn Pedro Collins' career has taken since 2005 too. From 2004 onwards, always thought he had the potential to be a damn good Test bowler, but now looks exceedingly unlikely.

Neither Pathan nor Rudra Pratap Singh I particularly rate the chances of amounting to much ITBT.
Pretty much agree with this.

WRT Franklin. I know its clutching at straws but during the WC I noticed a bit of fire in him that has been lacking. Usualy when he gets hit for four he looks like he's about to cry but in the last two or three WC games he was charging in and runs made by batsmen were met with glares. Was good to see some fire from him.

If he can improve his accuracy slightly he's going to be bloody awesome for us.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Hmm...Remember, for much of his career (debut - 2006/07), Zaheer Khan was pretty damn mediocre. Franklin has occassionally been more contemptible (in Adelaide 2004/05, he spent the time getting smashed around by Justin Langer), but I still feel that he's often been better than Khan throughout their careers.

I did not include Franklin, as of now, because he has not played since the end of 2006.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
You may be surprised by the former. Pathan came leaps and bounds after his last MRF Pace Foundation stint, I hope another does the same. Pathan is improving day by day and merely needs some more bounce.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pretty much agree with this.

WRT Franklin. I know its clutching at straws but during the WC I noticed a bit of fire in him that has been lacking. Usualy when he gets hit for four he looks like he's about to cry but in the last two or three WC games he was charging in and runs made by batsmen were met with glares. Was good to see some fire from him.

If he can improve his accuracy slightly he's going to be bloody awesome for us.
Franklins accuracy is fine Phlegm, its just his consistency. James Franklin when bowling at his peak has a wicket taking ball every ball of the over, and can even out perform Bond. Yet the problem with Franklin is that when he isn't in the rhythm the wicket taking ball is hid amongst 20-30 other mediocre ones. And not every ball that looks like it should get a wicket gets one. In ODI cricket he's our current second best bowler behind Mills, he should walk back into the side if the selectors know anything about the game of cricket. In Tests he is our best.