• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zaheer Abbas vs Mohammed Azharuddin

Zaheer Abbas vs Mohammed Azharuddin

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Azharuddin was a player that liked playing in India on certain tracks but he was brilliant at it.

I really enjoyed watching him bat. The match fixing is a burden for his legacy and I think history will always place Abbas ahead of him.

I cant really comment about that as I didnt see Abbas bat. Maybe he was clearly the better player.

All I can say is watching Azharuddin in India was close to watching a player being the master of his environment.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FTB being used somewhat loosely here it would seem. Not being able to handle the very best bowlers, and tending to cash in big time against mediocre bowlers and on more placid pitches is a trait that is shared by 90% of good batsmen. Yes, neither of the above were greats, but then again both would push hard for a place on either of their country's all-time XIs.
Yeah, true, I mean I don't know a particularly large amount about either and watched Azhar bat no more than a handful of times (and obviously never Zaheer).

Also, I doubt either were flat-track bullies as such as most seem to rate their skills against spin. Non-seaming-track bullies (a la Hayden) would perhaps be more apt.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Gosh :-O

Anyway, here's clip of Zaheer. Elegance personified.

***************************************zaheer.mpg

http://3lib . ukonline . co . uk/cricket/zaheer.mpg

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
For some reason, the URL does not pass the filter. Remove the spaces bordering the dots to get the full URL.

Zaheer when on song, would make his partner look like a plodder. Here's CI's descriptive :

Zaheer Abbas was a stylish, elegant batsman. In full flow, he was a sight for sore eyes. His avarice for runs matched that of the Australian legend, and that was why he was dubbed the Asian Bradman. High praise indeed for there have been many greats but none matches the aura of the Don.

There was not a touch of arrogance about Zaheer's batting but of lyrical, fluent movement, his innings memorable for a refined, effortless beauty. His strength was precision and timing. He had the ability to go on back and front foot with equal facility, on occasions moving from backward to forward or vice versa during the course of one stroke and yet send the ball crashing to the fence. A high back-lift gave him a touch of elegance, and combined with powerful and supple wrists guiding the ball into the gaps on both sides of the wicket, he scored a very high proportion of his runs in boundaries. When the going was good, he seemed like a maestro at work, his artistry, his elegance leaving connoisseurs awestruck.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
And here's CI on Azharuddin :

Those who saw this supreme batting artist at his peak will never forget him - sinewy wrists transforming a slender piece of willow into a magician's wand. Azhar's leg-side play was reminiscent of Zaheer Abbas and Greg Chappell - a Michelangelo in the midst of housepainters.