• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ambrose Vs Mcgrath?

Whoz the best?

• Total voters

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Interesting question. I place Glenn McGrath marginally ahead as a bowler and as a fielder, for he had to bowl in subcontinental conditions much more regularly than Curtly Ambrose (who didn't do so very often). I would also venture to say that Ambrose played on helpful decks more often, as a result - correct me if I'm wrong. That being said, Curtly's record against Australia is seriously impressive. Hmm...McGrath by a whisker despite Ambrose's marginally better record.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2 of my favourite bowlers, extremely hard choice. I ended up tossing a coin and going for McGrath.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
I voted Curtly Ambrose. It came down to two things:
a) I would rather watch Curtly, and b) I would rather not face Curtly.

sideshowtim

Banned
McGrath. Bowled more in an era of unhelpful pitches, frequently got the better of some of the best batsmen the world has seen and his remarkabl and had remarkable consistency against all teams. I believe his highest average against an International team is 27.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ambrose easily! Statistics and other cricketing factors are not the only things one should look at! As a viewer, Ambrose running into bowl, is a sight I would prefer to see over Mc Grath running in to bowl!

sideshowtim

Banned
Ambrose easily! Statistics and other cricketing factors are not the only things one should look at! As a viewer, Ambrose running into bowl, is a sight I would prefer to see over Mc Grath running in to bowl!
Shahid Afridi smashing sixes is a sight I love to see more than Rahul Dravid grafting out a ton, but it means absolutely nothing in terms of assessing who is a better batsman.

Slifer

International Captain
YEah but this is certainly not a case of Afridi vs Dravid. Even statistically its not like Mcgrath totally trumps Ambrose. Curtly does have a better average and econ. In the end i chose Mcgrath by a whisker for his remarkable consistency against all teams in a batsmen friendly era. However on another day i could have easily chosen Ambrose

Engle

State Vice-Captain
A close one. McGrath was more methodical, Amby the more malevolent. Both were exceptional leaders. In such close calls, again, I retreat towards some of my self-subjective, tie-breaking criteria, such as who stood out more by virtue of having the ‘explosive‘ factor, the ‘more difficult to emulate‘ factor, the one more likely to get a Bradman out and the one to counter a Larwood.

Amby does this for me.

pup11

International Coach
Both of them were similar in pace and had similar accuracy levels to go with it, but the way these two went about their things was completely different, Ambrose was more of your in your face fast-bowler who used his height to good advantage, by troubling the batsmen with rising deliveries, he was more of an intimidating type of fast-bowler, but McGrath was the kind of bowler who had freakish accuracy with which he used to crack down the batman and play with his patience, both are great fast bowlers in my book, but i would rate McGrath slightly ahead of Ambrose just because McGrath was "almost" still as effective as ever in the twilight of his career as he was at his peak and add to that he was not bowling on the most responsive bowling tracks, just makes his feat even more astonishing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ambrose carried effectiveness into his cricketing dotage every bit as well as McGrath. Ambrose was as good as ever at 37, as good as he had been at 27.

funnygirl

State Regular
Curtley Ambrose ,What a bowler .Fantastic to watch with some variety such as yorkers and whole some menacing attributes . One of my all time favourites .

Mcgrath:yawn:

pup11

International Coach
Ambrose carried effectiveness into his cricketing dotage every bit as well as McGrath. Ambrose was as good as ever at 37, as good as he had been at 27.
But then there is the unresponsive pitch factor too, and as good as Ambrose was how many bowlers have signed off from international cricket on as big a high as being declared the player-of-the-tournament of a World cup.

pup11

International Coach
Curtley Ambrose ,What a bowler .Fantastic to watch with some variety such as yorkers and whole some menacing attributes . One of my all time favourites .

Mcgrath:yawn:
That's right, Pidge surely used to put the batsmen to sleep too.

funnygirl

State Regular
Shahid Afridi smashing sixes is a sight I love to see more than Rahul Dravid grafting out a ton, but it means absolutely nothing in terms of assessing who is a better batsman.
Thats not at all a good analogy.Afridi and Dravid ,u can find a much better thing like . How consistently he used to trouble Aussie line up .Infact the best bowler against the Aussies .