• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Off-Season Thread 2008

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
How different does Dougie look with a decent amount of hair on his head?! Love the bloke. Legend.
He had it down by the 'Advanced Hair Studio'. Pretty great effort considering his hairline was Vince van der Bijl like. Looks good!

howardj

International Coach
Wasn't Matty Elliott on a fair bit at the SACAs? Surely him leaving has freed up a lot of cash that they can use to get Rogers?
On the flipside, they now have to feed Dan Cullen and Cullen Bailey who were previously grazing on CA's paddock.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Wasn't Matty Elliott on a fair bit at the SACAs? Surely him leaving has freed up a lot of cash that they can use to get Rogers?
I know that when he first went over, Elliott was appointed as an "Assistant Coach", which meant that he was being paid more than the supposed cap for a state contracted player (which is somewhere about $110,000, I read yesterday). So I guess that all it takes out of their fund is really just one player on the max amount, which will be taken up you'd assume by the Cullen's being put back onto state contracts. Then again, they don't have to pay Boof any more either.

Laurrz

International Debutant
http://news.smh.com.au/rogers-ends-big-week-signs-with-vics/20080410-25a8.html

im sorta happy of course - he is class
but unhappy in some ways...

1) Aaron Finch (i think hes an opener) and Blizz are guns... how are they gonna get a game in OD and FC now?
2) how will Rogers get to be captain? he said he wants to be a captain in the future
3) poor sacas... we needa spread talent around and now sacas wil have some **** openers
4) his international career is effectively over ;)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Finch and Blizzard are probably what you'd call "manufactured openers", and I'd be surprised to see them opening in FC cricket. Obviously Blizz has been used in OD cricket, and maybe Finch would be.

brockley

International Captain
To fit in rogers and victoria's long list of fast bowlers the vics will have to shed many of those openers like blizzard,klinger,quiney,finch,mash if not all of them.
BTW heaps of rumours doing the rounds can't keep up with all of them,expect many state moves this off season,the biggest we have seen.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hussey out, Rogers in.

Losing Lewis, and possibly other bowlers, means that there'll be enough in the payments to cover everyone else. Rumours are still abound that we'll lose Klinger to SA, so we'll see what happens there.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Hussey out, Rogers in.

Losing Lewis, and possibly other bowlers, means that there'll be enough in the payments to cover everyone else. Rumours are still abound that we'll lose Klinger to SA, so we'll see what happens there.
Where's Hussey going?

howardj

International Coach
Why does Watson still get a contract?
Granted, Matt, he's somewhat injury prone (and arguably a sooky sooky la la) but there are not too many guys in Australia who average 50 in FC cricket with the bat, and who bowl at 135-140km/hour.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harsh, especially coming from a Watto fanboy. It's a fair question when one asks what he's done to earn it last season and hardly worthy of calling the poster a troll. I don't think he neccessarily deserves to lose his contract but, on performance, he didn't exactly dominate and, considering he played 7 of 10 Pura Cup matches for QLD, injury can't be totally blamed, especially since he didn't bowl all that much.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
He's a long term Watson troll. Valid question no doubt, but if you go back through his posts I'd be surprised to find one that wasn't trolling.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's a long term Watson troll. Valid question no doubt, but if you go back through his posts I'd be surprised to find one that wasn't trolling.
Had a quick look, lots of anti-Watson posts but I still say trolling is a bit much. Perhaps we have different definitions because, for mine, trolling against someone specifically is just spamming the board with "Watto suxx0rs!" or similar. Although anti-Watson largely (I did see at least one "The talent is there but...."-type posts), at least the posts are literate.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Had a quick look, lots of anti-Watson posts but I still say trolling is a bit much. Perhaps we have different definitions because, for mine, trolling against someone specifically is just spamming the board with "Watto suxx0rs!" or similar. Although anti-Watson largely (I did see at least one "The talent is there but...."-type posts), at least the posts are literate.
Spamming is spamming, trolling is consistently baiting for a reaction to start a ****storm.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
I'm not a fan of Watto but no other all-rounders really put there hand up and demanded a contract and if Tait was allowed to keep his, Watto should too.