• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Viv Richards v Greg Chappell

Who was better?

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Far out, this is a tough one. Do you go for the consistency of Chappell or the one Bradman-esque period in Viv's? Chappell also had an outstanding WSC averaging about 69 and against those players, numbers like those demand respect even if they don't officially count. Against spin, Chappell was rated as less effective by his brother Ian because his outstanding but ultimately rigid technique hampered him in some ways. He said on raging turners, sometimes you have to sacrifice correct technique to be effective. Even then, though, he was a very good player of spin. Same with swinging conditions and, again, Chappell's record takes a hit in England, averaging 10+ runs less.

I guess it depends on what you value; Greg Chappell was very successful playing within the parameters of established technique as he had been taught whereas Viv was an innovator and changed established technique and the way others played even as people emulated some of the techniques he used and his style of play. Reminds me of the old saying; "Talent hits the target no-one else can, genius hits the target no-one else saw." Viv's numbers post-70's might have been lesser than he would have liked but then, when you're constantly trying risky things no-one else would dare, there are going to be lulls and, conversely, Chappell's technique stood him in good stead in his late career when reflexes, eyes and intensity started to wane. Both were sensational fielders (Viv better on the ground, Chappell a better catcher), both were good on most wickets, both did well under pressure, both were the outstanding batsman in successful teams.

Okay enough fence-sitting, I'm plumping for Chappell but it's a personal thing; innovation is necessary of course (techniques are merely a product of trial-and-error, not set in stone) but I value effectiveness and consistency over a period of time a little bit more. Enjoyed watching Viv more, though.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Greg had a fine record against some of the blistering pace attacks in WSC cricket and had a well nigh perfect text-book technique.

Viv took the text book and threw it out the window. One always got the feeling that had he been a numbers man or tried harder, his record could've been so much better. But then again, we would not have witnessed such power and poise (and posturing) to pummel and pulverize opposition pitilessly.

I vote for Master Blaster, Smokin' Joe, The King :)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can't be as good as he was while paying complete lip-service to the textbook.
Yes.

I recall GC saying that they decided in WSC to bowl 6 inches wide of off stump to Viv because he was the best on side player in the world. Chappell said it was the worst thing they ever did, because it turned him into the best off side player goingaround as well!

burr

State Vice-Captain
Chappell for aesthetics. Seen some footage (was before my time) and the cover drives are gorg.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Viv Richards, just pipping Chappell though. Seems some people underestimate the impact of the latter.

I don't think many people underestimate Chappell, if anything many people - usually people who weren't even born or certainly didn't see him play - underestimate the impact the of Richards.

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
to be fair it actually seems to me to put these two batsmen together is unfair, bearing in mind the two differing styles and temprament of these guys, i have seen footage of chappell and seems to be a alan border no nonsense cricketer, while the master blaster is............. well the master blaster

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
bearing in mind the two differing styles and temprament of these guys
That's the point though, really.

It's easy to compare players when there are few variables; the real challenge comes about when you have to decide which attributes in a player you value more.

For me - Chappell, quite easily.

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
hhmmmm, chappel does have a better test and first class average, but i have a problem with my judgement..................... i am english!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think many people underestimate Chappell, if anything many people - usually people who weren't even born or certainly didn't see him play - underestimate the impact the of Richards.
Nah, no-one underestimates his impact - at least, not those who've read\listened to those who bang-on so relentlessly about him.

It's his batsmanship that has the potential to divide.

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
we have the same problem here about a certain geoff boycott, best batsman i have seen in my opinion has to be graham gooch, best allrounder has to be jack kallis, and the best quick, joel garner/malcolm marshall, best orthodox off spinner john embury, best leg spinner shane warne :@ :@ :) best left arm orthodox spinner phil edmonds, best wicketkeeper jack russell, best wicketkeeper batsman alec stewart.
that just might put the cat amongst the pidgeons

:huh: :-O :sleep: :happy: :unsure:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
we have the same problem here about a certain geoff boycott, best batsman i have seen in my opinion has to be graham gooch, best allrounder has to be jack kallis, and the best quick, joel garner/malcolm marshall, best orthodox off spinner john embury, best leg spinner shane warne :@ :@ :) best left arm orthodox spinner phil edmonds, best wicketkeeper jack russell, best wicketkeeper batsman alec stewart.
that just might put the cat amongst the pidgeons

:huh: :-O :sleep: :happy: :unsure:
Disagree with the one's in bold...did Edmonds, in particular, get to play on uncovered wickets at any time?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, neither Emburey nor Edmunds played on uncovered wickets. Reckon both might well have been very good indeed had they done so.