Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Stephen Fleming Appreciation Society

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    Fair enough, but Bracken got his man every 3rd game they played. Vaas had him LBW 5/28 times they were both playing. Make of that what you will.

Fleming's reign was anathema to New Zealand cricket. He should never have been captain as long as he was. His batting showed little improvement throughout his career despite his obvious potential; he's constantly said he's "not mentally strong enough"; and, well, as a leader, he has not lead by example.

Not the captain I'd want. Heck, not the boss I'd want in any job.

He's had his moments, got a lot of NZ records becaue he's played the most games, captained us well when he was young, but his time should ahve ended as captain years ago.
    Go find me a better skipper and batsman in 90's doemstic cricket and you can have your bitchy little whinges in this thread labelled "correct"

If you were offered a batsman that would average 40 and be as successful as Fleming has been back when we had **** all, even back in early 2000s, you'd have to be mentally ******** not to take him. Thats my 2c.

And for someone with the username Macka, if its named after McMillan then I find it ironic you bitch about Fleming wasting his talent so much.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

U19 Captain
    Fact is he's the only batsman with any class during the mid 90s after Crowe's retirement. He's still the only class batsman, although at least now we are seeing talent coming through in How, Taylor, Ryder, Flynn and Hay.

No one else had the same stickability + all the shots like Fleming does during his career in the Black Caps.

A few notables in Richardson, Astle and McMillan for a bit but that's about it in terms of batting. And Richardson aside, they are all so inconsistent, but we can't drop them because the talents just aren't there in the domestic cricket.

There have been some crappy teams Fleming had to work with as captain. Be interesting to list some utter trite sides during his tenure as captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Bet you're surprised I made this

What it says on the tin really, my summary on him is:

Batsman: Good batsman, conversion rate was what stopped him from being an NZ great
    Slip: One of the greats
    Captain: One of the greats
    ...as did his occassional opening stints, which should never have occured, due to his tendency to get rooted to the crease against quality swing-and-seam (ala McGrath in NZ 2005). In his favour though, his record overseas was very good.

I agree with the rest of your sentiments, although, while he was certainly a modern captaincy great (1997-), we can't concusively say that he was a true all-time great. I'm not ruling that possibility out, though.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRick View Post
    ...as did his occassional opening stints, which should never have occured, due to his tendency to get rooted to the crease against quality swing-and-seam (ala McGrath in NZ 2005). In his favour though, his record overseas was very good.

I agree with the rest of your sentiments, although, while he was certainly a modern captaincy great (1997-), we can't concusively say that he was a true all-time great. I'm not ruling that possibility out, though.
    To be fair, some of his more highly rated innings came in the opening position (134* vs SA in the World Cup, 106 vs Fica XI, the second innings after his 274 against Sri Lanka, 100 against England at Trent Bridge in 2004). He had the technique and in order to find the best balance within the side it was pretty logical IMO.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    To be fair, some of his more highly rated innings came in the opening position (134* vs SA in the World Cup, 106 vs Fica XI, the second innings after his 274 against Sri Lanka, 100 against England at Trent Bridge in 2004). He had the technique and in order to find the best balance within the side it was pretty logical IMO.
    A 69* ranks among his best innings?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information