• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Probably been done but: Mud XI for each nation?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
That's not fair. Dyer apparently did not realise that Andrew Jones' dismissal was incorrect, until he saw the slow-mo. He apparently then realised that he should've called the batsman back and wanted to apologise for his indiscretion, but the board's player code (if you think CA is inept, the ACB of the 80's was a thousand times worse) prevented him from commenting on umpiring decisions, which he would've done had he apologised. Dyer, apparently, was so guilty about it all that his career declined from that point on.

That's how Steve Waugh tells it, anyway. Were you watching that match?

As I said to Burgey, I was watching it. And if that's your take on it, I'll just have to chuck you in the bond21/sideshowtim pile.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was only 8, but I remember. NZers, whatever age, remember every single injustice, every act of treachery and every little back-handed effort thrown at us by Australians ever since we made the simple mistake of sending Derryn Hinch over there.
Sending Derryn Hinch here means you deserve everything you get back, tbh.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
HeathDavisSpeed said:
Tim Zoehrer (.sic) would surely be the only contender for the Keeping position. Can't remember if he got a game post-95 though. He was certainly around that era though.
He didn't play post-95. If he had, I would've picked him. His temperament was certainly unstable and his dislike of Bob Simpson didn't help.

Last edited:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
As I said to Burgey, I was watching it. And if that's your take on it, I'll just have to chuck you in the bond21/sideshowtim pile.
That's being a tad presumptuous, not to mention possibly offensive. Besides, this isn't my take on it, its Steve Waugh's. I just don't think it right to slander someone for one single incident. I didn't say that what Dyer did was right. In fact, I wasn't even born at that time, so I cannot objectively comment on the incident.

Besides, I just disagreed with bond21 on something just before. Please read my post properly next time.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
That's being a tad presumptuous, not to mention possibly offensive. Besides, this isn't my take on it, its Steve Waugh's. I just don't think it right to slander someone for one single incident.

Besides, I just disagreed on bond21 on something just before.
Let me ask you then. Did you see it?

From my memory, he picked it up off the grass at the point when he was shielded from the umpire then rolled back up to appeal. All reports on the internet - including his Cricinfo profile - describe the incident as him having "clearly dropped" Jones. His Wikipedia entry (admittedly probably written by a New Zealander) states:

Replays clearly showed Dyer scooping the ball up from the ground before he appealed.

Burgey

Thank God I didn't mention Joh Bjelke-Petersen :ph34r:
Yes, thank God you didn't mention him.

Or Russell Crowe - the self proclaimed "Greatest God-damned actor on earth".

Glad you sent Clarrie Grimmett though. :)

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Let me ask you then. Did you see it?

From my memory, he picked it up off the grass at the point when he was shielded from the umpire then rolled back up to appeal. All reports on the internet - including his Cricinfo profile - describe the incident as him having "clearly dropped" Jones. His Wikipedia entry (admittedly probably written by a New Zealander) states:
Dear Voltman,

I edited my post. Please read it again.

Yours sincerely,

DaRick :)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
He turned my state, IIRC, into an autocracy. Thanks a lot. :p
If you apologise for Greg Dyer, I'll apologise for Bjelke-Petersen. And I'll throw in an apology for sending over the CW poster Craig as well....:cool:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Dear Voltman,

I edited my post. Please read it again.

Yours sincerely,

DaRick :)
That's fine. I'll partially withdraw my bond21/sideshowtim slur (I was just seeing how nasty I could be...), but I will stick with calling Dyer a cheat. Besides, one defence of defamation is truth and the evidence on that day was there for all to see... :happy:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
If you apologise for Greg Dyer, I'll apologise for Bjelke-Petersen. And I'll throw in an apology for sending over the CW poster Craig as well....:cool:
Dear Voltman,

Bjelke-Petersen's crimes against my state were immeasurably worse than Greg Dyer's against your cloudy isles. I wasn't born either when the incident occured, so that's not helping. But, I'll apologise on behalf of Steve Waugh, if that's OK. :cool:

Also, apologise for comparing me to blokes like bond21. If I become as bankrupt with my punctuation as he, then compare me to him, but not before.

Yours sincerely,

DaRick

EDIT: bond21 demand partially withdrawn

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
To Voltman,

Bjelke-Petersen's crimes against my state were immeasurably worse than Greg Dyer's against your cloudy isles. I wasn't born either when the incident occured, so that's not helping. But, I'll apologise on behalf of Steve Waugh, if that's OK. :cool:

Also, apologise for comparing me to blokes like bond21. If I become as bankrupt with my punctuation as he, then compare me to him, but not before.

Yours sincerely,

DaRick

EDIT: bond21 demand partially withdrawn
Is this where we hug and the studio audience let out an "ahhhhhh"?

Burgey

(Withdrawing letter format) Hmm...what is this, a 'Full House' type comedy? :huh:

I dunno though, that's up to you. I don't care.
Be careful DaRick, I've seen other new posters fall for this evil man's wiles......

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose mistaking my view for that of Steve Waugh's, considering my birth, is fairly 'evil'...not to mention illogical.
You were essentially using Waugh's view as your own, which is understandable as you weren't born, but you were defending Dyer. It's not like I can debate Steve Waugh, is it?