• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee - Future Australian Captain?

jeevan

International 12th Man
Brett Lee will captain the Australian cricket team.

In a Bollywood flick.
For which he will be paid more than what the real gig does.
And in which he will also save the planet from imminent catastrophe.
No wait, that's Hollywood.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Why does everything think clarke would be a great captain when the guy is just a kid and doesnt seem like a mature man. All Australian captains have been real men and clarke is just a metrosexual little punk.
As Richard said, do you actually know him, or have even spoken to anyone who knows him directly? Or are you just basing that opinion on the fact he had bleached hair?

I only know what I've seen and read about him, and all the comments I've read from people around the Australian team suggest that the guy has a pretty good understanding of the tactical side of the game and is leadership material. That includes Ponting, Warne and Gilchrist, plus I think (but might be wrong) Steve Waugh.

Craig

World Traveller
You can't be a captain just because of attitude. There are a lot of factors going into being captain. Experience with captaincy, of which Lee has barely any, IF any.
Actually having a good cricketing brain - when was the last time Brett Lee made any changes to the field that resulted in a wicket? I'm fairly sure he just relies on the captain to set the field and he bowls.
Maturity - Lee is 30 and he still doesn't strike me as someone who is mature. He also has to be the teams spokesman and answer a lot of hard questions, something that I'm not entirely confident Brett Lee could do without getting too angered or be the exact opposite and be too laid back.
AWTA.

Last edited:

iamdavid

International Debutant
You can't be a captain just because of attitude. There are a lot of factors going into being captain. Experience with captaincy, of which Lee has barely any, IF any.
Actually having a good cricketing brain - when was the last time Brett Lee made any changes to the field that resulted in a wicket? I'm fairly sure he just relies on the captain to set the field and he bowls.
Maturity - Lee is 30 and he still doesn't strike me as someone who is mature. He also has to be the teams spokesman and answer a lot of hard questions, something that I'm not entirely confident Brett Lee could do without getting too angered or be the exact opposite and be too laid back.
Disagree strongly with the last point, Lee is excellent when it comes to dealing with the media, very diplomatic and always comes up with well though-out answers. That area would be the least of his worries.

And I don't think he's as tactically stupid as some people are suggesting, he always seems pretty on the ball out there to me, I can recall a field change to Atapattu in Hobart this year which resulted in a wicket next ball. However no doubt there are better tactical thinkers in Australian cricket atm (although I'm certainly not convinced Clarke is one of them at this stage, he will mature over the next few years but now I think he's just as green as Lee).

And It's all pretty irrelevant anyway tbh because Ponting strikes me as very hungry and I'd be suprised to see him jump before a) he's pushed or b) he's 37, by which time Lee will be what ? 34 or 35 ? and be very much on the way out if not already there himself.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol Richard, can't believe you managed to split up my post into quote discussion. :p

And very interesting that you said 'thanks' to that Brett Lee link. Let's say most weren't that happy to see it when I kept sending out that Youtube link to everyone I knew ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Capitalise your acronyms young man! :nono:
That's me. Prefer it without the "ard" though of course.
can't believe you managed to split up my post into quote discussion. :p
You forget who you're talking to. :dry:
And very interesting
TSTL in fact.
that you said 'thanks' to that Brett Lee link.
Well I didn't know; now I do; it'd be a churlish person indeed to refuse to thank one who had assisted his knowledge.
Let's say most weren't that happy to see it when I kept sending out that Youtube link to everyone I knew ;)
When have I been one to take the same route as the gullible masses. :dry:

Sorry. :p Couldn't resist. Had to take a leaf from the Whelan (who occasionally does this sort of thing in jest) book.

pasag

RTDAS
Lol, can't believe you've never seen it, has been posted on CW heaps of times, plus its made the rounds at least twice in the cricket media. Poor form :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I won't even bother telling you to capitalise 'em. At least you're consistent. :dry:
can't believe you've never seen it
Anything before about 1999, there's a decent chance I've never seen the vid of it. Music on oldies radio > contemporary MTV.
has been posted on CW heaps of times
Must've been on threads I wasn't taking note of.
plus its made the rounds at least twice in the cricket media.
Hmm, I should brush-up on my cricket media I guess. I often read pieces and skirt over the more irrelevant lines, though, so I might have read a piece containing it and missed it.
Poor form :p
Sounding more like a private-schoolboy every day, Gelman. :dry:

Sorry, I'm in a rather silly mood today. Must be the fact I'm feeling OK for the first time in days and know I will be feeling very bad again very soon.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What, now? Or when Ricky Ponting retires which will be about the same time as when Hussey himself retires, one would imagine.
Not convinced myself. Hussey might be only about 6 months younger than Ponting, but he debuted a decade later. Looks a fearsomely fit bloke (and more of a natural athlete than Punter, who I suspect will have a paunch within a year of retiring) and is clearly very hungry. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he went on a couple of years after Ponting.

kanga_kid

Cricket Spectator
a bowler will never captain australia, the fact is they are too much of a liability with injury and time spent off the ground. batsmen will always get the job