• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Under 19 World Cup thread

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Results
Bangladesh 149/10 beat England 136/10 by 14 runs.
Sri Lanka 175/5 beat Australia 172/10 by five wickets
Pakistan 173/8 beat Zimbabwe86/10 by 87 runs

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very polished performance from India tonight. Kohli was the star of the show but their bowling and fielding after the Windies initial onslaught was excellent.

Commentators reckon this was the best Windies squad they've seen for a long time and I was impressed by a few of them too. Kieran Powell looks a real talent and I hope these guys can kick on and become International quality players in the future.

India v England - Sunday on ESPN, looking forward to it.

EDIT: Kohli needs an X-Ray on his foot, could be a doubt for Sunday.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Very polished performance from India tonight. Kohli was the star of the show but their bowling and fielding after the Windies initial onslaught was excellent.

Commentators reckon this was the best Windies squad they've seen for a long time and I was impressed by a few of them too. Kieran Powell looks a real talent and I hope these guys can kick on and become International quality players in the future.

India v England - Sunday on ESPN, looking forward to it.
Considering they made the final a couple years back and this side wont even make it past the Group Stages, I seriously doubt this is the Windies best side in a long time.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka v New Zealand in the QFs. Kiwis should be favorites, but I reckon we might push them hard.

Other QFs:

India v England
Pakistan v Australia
Bangladesh v South Africa

duffer

They were in a very tough group though. Haven't seen any of their previous U-19's so not in a position to make that judgement but htey look a good group of youngsters.

Flem274*

123/5
Sri Lanka v New Zealand in the QFs. Kiwis should be favorites, but I reckon we might push them hard.

Other QFs:

India v England
Pakistan v Australia
Bangladesh v South Africa
When is this game?

Depends really, have a feeling it will be won by bowling. We rely too much on Williamson, Anderson and Worker for our batting. Dunno what SL batting is like but if they can cope with Southee and Boult the other bowlers might cop some pressure to take wickets.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
They were in a very tough group though. Haven't seen any of their previous U-19's so not in a position to make that judgement but htey look a good group of youngsters.
Outside Simmons, Marshall, Ramdin and Rampaul the side four years ago didn't have as much talent. But they had better balance and played better as team. Marshall, Ramdin and Rampaul have some dream tournments as well.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
When is this game?

Depends really, have a feeling it will be won by bowling. We rely too much on Williamson, Anderson and Worker for our batting. Dunno what SL batting is like but if they can cope with Southee and Boult the other bowlers might cop some pressure to take wickets.
SL bat deep but have no real stars. Batting depth is probably the best way to combat Southee and Boult it seems.

duffer

Outside Simmons, Marshall, Ramdin and Rampaul the side four years ago didn't have as much talent. But they had better balance and played better as team. Marshall, Ramdin and Rampaul have some dream tournments as well.
Yep, but the commentators seem to think that quite a few of these guys are capable of making the step up, which should be the priority of these tournaments?

Flem274*

123/5
Yep, but the commentators seem to think that quite a few of these guys are capable of making the step up, which should be the priority of these tournaments?
Probably. I think what we must remember is only a handful from each side will play international cricket purely because all of these blokes are aged within 2-3 years of each other wheras international sides have a much bigger age range. For example Southee, Boult, Williamson etc will be playing alongside Taylor, Franklin, McCullum etc so to cut a long story short yes it should be about development though obviously you'd want to teach them the winning feeling early.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but the big thing for me, is the fact that the South African side they lost isn't that great. If this side was that good, then they shouldn't have lost to them. But in there defense they went with a very young squad with a lot of 18yos. So they were always going to perform at a lower level.

Flem274*

123/5
SL bat deep but have no real stars. Batting depth is probably the best way to combat Southee and Boult it seems.
Well if the line up is:

Southee (fast medium)
Boult (fast)
Boam (fast)
Morgan (medium fast)
Beard (leg break?)

stonewall Boult and Southee, not sure about how good Boam is so play him as normal, target Morgan and semi-target Beard but be mindful he has a bit of Vettori about him so dmaybe not attack too much.

EDIT: Corey Anderson the allrounder will probably play instead of Boam. Might be worth targeting as well.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you've been tricked about Harry Boam as a fast-bowler! he's a batsman..I think he was making a bit of a joke there on his player profile.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It seems from the scores that it's not easy to be a batsmen in this tournament. So yeah, I think it'll come down to who can do the most damage with the ball.

NZ's shown so far that they've got a pretty good bowling attack, but I feel they will struggle against the Sri Lankan spinners.

completeNZer

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think you've been tricked about Harry Boam as a fast-bowler! he's a batsman..I think he was making a bit of a joke there on his player profile.

yup opens for school I think im only new to the school but for some reason i think he opens