• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in West Indies Thread

Bazza

International 12th Man
Well two tons certainly help the effort. I was surprised to discover he still only averages 30 despite two unbeaten tons in quick succession. Must have had an even worse start to his career than I had realised? Still to do that to the Aussies he must be a decent player and with that confidence could come a whole new era for him. Maybe he will be more consistent and put some decent scores up, in tests too.

Gayle is a top allrounder in ODIs as well as a useful test batsman (and still young), and the future looks brighter by the minute for WI.

Lara, well he's just class. Third player to score 8000 runs in both forms of international cricket (after Sachin and Mark Waugh ;)). One of the all time greats - as proven in the test series....!!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Bazza said:

Lara, well he's just class. Third player to score 8000 runs in both forms of international cricket (after Sachin and Mark Waugh ;)). One of the all time greats - as proven in the test series....!!
I guess he proved that a long time ago, but well we have short memories sometimes ......

krkode

State Captain
Well, yet another superb finish to a rather disappointing series.

Test and ODIs, after they lost it, they come up with a beaut :P

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Both the Test & ODI series didn't really pick up until after both series had been won. To me that suggests that once Australia had claimed both they kind of lost interest. 7 ODI's was far too many and with their job complete after the first 4 games Im pretty sure they turned their attention to going home, after being away for so long and with only a 2 week break in between the World Cup & the West Indies tour.

I still think the West Indies did pretty well, but they needed to show some of that grit in the important matches which they failed to do.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, as a result of the 4-3 series, the Windies have gained 5 points in the ICC ODI Chamoionship, and the Aussies lose 4, so that their lead over SA is back to 10 points.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Assuming that Crystal is Chris Gayle - yes. Hinds Man of the Series. I think he scored more than 100 runs more than anyone else and he only played 5 out 7 matches. Good effort.
I'm sorry, but he's forever tarred with that nickname. Don't blame me - blame the duck. He started it in WC2003 during the 'West Indies Slip Cordon Special'.

Now my mission in life is to ensure world-wide recognition alongside

Little Master - Sachin
Turbanator - Killer Harbhajan
Big Bird - Joel Garner
King - Gary Sobers
Chucker - Mural, er, Shoa, er, Bre, er, I'll stop now

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luckyeddie said:
Little Master - Sachin
Big Bird - Joel Garner
King - Gary Sobers
Prince - Lara

Hmm..interesting nickname. Might I ask the pronunciation of it? Is it French?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie_beater said:
If there is/was a King, its Viv.
AussieBeater - you are wronger than the wrongest person in wrongington-on-wrong.

Garfield St Aubrun Sobers was universally known as King Gary from about 1960 - when Viv was still at primary school.

Don't get me wrong - Viv was a wonderful player, but Sobers was the complete cricketer. Sorry, but I wil stick my fingers in my ears and cry 'lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala' if you say otherwise.

<quack> Don't upset him - he means it (although what sticking his fingers in his ears would do to stop him reading something is beyond me).

I call David English as my first witness :Marshall

Actually, the article is in remembrance of the late, great Malcolm Marshall, but the piece about Sobers has my eyes watering (probably for Macca as well - read and understand).

It's also one of the finest pieces of cricket writing I have read.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Lara had the title first...the Prince of Port of Spain.
And here's me thinking that KS Ranjitsinhji was a bit older:D

But maybe that's because he was a Prince, so it doesn't count.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I'm sorry, but he's forever tarred with that nickname. Don't blame me - blame the duck. He started it in WC2003 during the 'West Indies Slip Cordon Special'.

Now my mission in life is to ensure world-wide recognition alongside

Little Master - Sachin
Big Bird - Joel Garner
King - Gary Sobers
The original Little Master was Sunil Gavaskar, wasn't it?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
AussieBeater - you are wronger than the wrongest person in wrongington-on-wrong.
Wow ! that's a lot of wrongs to get me to the gallows, I suppose. :( :( ..... but hey, I won't go down without saying "Hail the King" once more...and that king is Viv :cool2:

And that article was sure good.... but more witnesses and family history are required for me to do another coronation. :D :D