• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somerset vs Glamorgan 3 day friendly

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Can someone give me more info on this? I read on teletex that Glamorgan canned the Somerset attack to the tune of around 440 for 3 with Matty Maynard and Jon Hughes hitting unbeaten tons then nipped out 2 Somerset batsmen out cheaply. Not the best of starts...

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not Friendly

As starts go, this was not what I had in mind. I know it was a friendly but doesn't Glamorgan's 424-4 off less than day seem a trifle....well, massive!!!

As requested though I'm sure you've seen it, the official report which for reasons of copyright etc etc, I am not claiming I have written myself:

"The new season inched a little closer today at the County Ground in Taunton where Somerset took on Glamorgan in a three day friendly.

On a cold but bright morning play got underway on time with the Somerset opening attack of Richard Johnson and Simon Francis looking threatening early on.

However once the Glamorgan openers Steve James and Ian Thomas came to terms with the conditions they started to build a partnership, and had taken the score onto 88 before the visiting skipper was out for 44.

Thomas then helped to take the score onto 128 before he was out caught by wicket-keeper Rob Turner off the bowling of Gareth Andrew for 49.

Two more wickets fell quickly, and Glamorgan had slipped to 136 for 4, before Matthew Maynard and Jonathan Hughes came together and took control of the situation.

Both players took full advantage of the short boundary and by late afternoon had taken the score onto 424 for 4, having shared an unbeaten fifth wicket partnership of 288, which came off 280 balls, with Maynard on 132, and Hughes on 122, before Glamorgan declared.

In reply Somerset lost Matt Wood for 4 with the score on 11 and Piran Holloway following in the same over that was bowled by Alex Wharf.

By close of play evergreen Peter Bowler and new boy James Bryant had steadied the situation and taken the Cidermen onto 107 without further loss, Bowler ending on 66 and Bryant on 33."

To be honest there didn't seem much info on this match so i only learnt yesterday of it taking place. Still, fingers corssed Mr Bryant carries on with the bowler's nightmare...Mr Bowler!!

Rich2001

International Captain
Re: Not Friendly

jf2001 said:
Both players took full advantage of the short boundary and by late afternoon had taken the score onto 424 for 4,
When they say short how short do they mean?? because that could explain why such a huge amount of runs in a day... Obviously the Somerset groundsman wouldn't ruin all his work by playing on the center pitches.

I recall when Surrey played Glamorgan at the Oval in that One Day match last year where like 600+ runs were scored one of the boundarys were literally only 30 meters or something stupid, where a defensive could fly to the ropes.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I went to the final day of the match. It was brilliant weather and really good cricket... Its great to be back and well worth going..Very friendly and informal because of the fact it was only a friendly.

The boundary was really really short square but the same boundary was used towards the pavilion. It was a run feast, Holloway hit the ball out of the ground twice.

In the end somerset needed about 310 to win off 39 overs. They gave it a good fight, but in the end settled for batting practice.

I thought Wood and Holloway batted very well, the latter taking croft and Harrison apart.. Bryant only made 12 before being called playing a big sweep..

If anyone wants some pics, although they arent particularly good quality because i didnt bring my tripod. Talk to me on msn... rhingston@hotmail.com

Rich2001

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
If anyone wants some pics, although they arent particularly good quality because i didnt bring my tripod. Talk to me on msn... rhingston@hotmail.com
I know James would be happy to put them on the Photo's section of the site, maybe easier than keep sending them to people all the time.

Cloete

International Captain
yeah. help the photo section grow. send 'em into James. There r some pretty good 1's on tehre already.

dogbear

Cricket Spectator
i went to an hour or soa at the end on friday, it was great just to be in there really after the winter.

laraman is really tall, it looks like a bit of a struggle for him to reach the ground!