• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top run scorer Aus-India Series

Top run scorer

• Tendulkar

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Ponting

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • Hayden

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Dravid

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Laxman

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Jaques

• Jaffer

• Hussey

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nah, don't buy that at all, cricket's about far more than the mind. Harbhajan won't keep getting Ponting out every innings if there's nothing in the surface for him.

Harbhajan's absence may be better for Ponting's peace of mind, but his presence wouldn't have stopped him scoring in the next 2 Tests, if he had the capability.
If he had the capability, lol - So if he was capable of making 100 and he does then your right, but if he doesn't score 100 he wasn't capable of doing so. :unsure:

He was capable of making 100 in the first few tests, but for Harbajan.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If he had the capability, lol - So if he was capable of making 100 and he does then your right, but if he doesn't score 100 he wasn't capable of doing so. :unsure:

Yeah, that's a strange one from Richard (which isn't a surprise). I find it hard for a man with over 30 test hundreds doesn't have the capability to make one.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hmm, Ponting to go wild in scoring now that Bhajji is banned. I don't see anyone in our pace attack consistently troubling him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

The reason Ponting hasn't scored in the last few Tests (not exclusively confined to India either) has been because he hasn't batted very well. Is this due to Harbhajan's presence? Well, not really, no. You don't become as good as Ponting if the mere fact a certain bowler is playing plays overtly on your mind.

I'm fairly confident had Ponting played as he can, he'd have scored better in the opening 4 Tests of the summer. Equally, I'm confident that if he plays as poorly as he has so far this summer (and the catching\Umpiring is up to scratch obviously) then he'll continue to fail regardless of Harbhajan's absence.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The reason Ponting hasn't scored in the last few Tests (not exclusively confined to India either) has been because he hasn't batted very well. Is this due to Harbhajan's presence? Well, not really, no. You don't become as good as Ponting if the mere fact a certain bowler is playing plays overtly on your mind.

I'm fairly confident had Ponting played as he can, he'd have scored better in the opening 4 Tests of the summer. Equally, I'm confident that if he plays as poorly as he has so far this summer (and the catching\Umpiring is up to scratch obviously) then he'll continue to fail regardless of Harbhajan's absence.
Why? Can't one bowler perform better then another bowler, especially considering bowlers control every ball like you tend to say..

There is such a good chance that a lesser bowler wouldn't get Ponting out as quickly, that's just common sense.

It's not as though Ponting is playing that bad or anything before he's gotten out each innings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are many, many better bowlers around than Harbhajan, though. It's not like he's given Ponting no chance on every one of his deliveries - it just happens to be Harbhajan he's got out to several times.

That happens very occasionally, it's called coincidence - sometimes, batsmen fall to certain bowlers a lot. Sometimes it's simply because they bowl at them a lot (Atherton and McGrath\Ambrose) and sometimes it's simply luck-of-the-draw.

And often enough, people read too much into it. :dry:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
There are many, many better bowlers around than Harbhajan, though. It's not like he's given Ponting no chance on every one of his deliveries - it just happens to be Harbhajan he's got out to several times.

That happens very occasionally, it's called coincidence - sometimes, batsmen fall to certain bowlers a lot. Sometimes it's simply because they bowl at them a lot (Atherton and McGrath\Ambrose) and sometimes it's simply luck-of-the-draw.

:wacko: Man sometimes you say some unbelievable things..

I don't think Harbajhan is the worlds best bowler, but you make it seem like if Ponting had the choice he'd just as happily face Harbajhan as much as Sharma.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:wacko: Man sometimes you say some unbelievable things..

I don't think Harbajhan is the worlds best bowler, but you make it seem like if Ponting had the choice he'd just as happily face Harbajhan as much as Sharma.
No, I don't.

But you seem to make-out like he'd prefer face Allan Donald or Curtley Ambrose than Harbhajan. :wacko:

Johnners

Not really, especially seeing as he hasn't been dismissed 5/6 times from the 1st ball he's faced from them. Also take note that Ponting is a far more accomplished player of fast bowling then he is of spin bowling.

Mister Wright

How can it be a coincidence when he has got him out (fogive me if my stats are out) 7 times, and five of those the first ball Ponting has faced to him. It's a series case of having a bunny if I've ever seen one and the worse definition for coincidence in the history of language.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Hussey would take it out now that Hayden is unlikely to play in Perth. Would love SRT to keep scoring though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How can it be a coincidence when he has got him out (fogive me if my stats are out) 7 times, and five of those the first ball Ponting has faced to him. It's a series case of having a bunny if I've ever seen one and the worse definition for coincidence in the history of language.
Someone can only be a bunny if they're actually being got out, though. Ponting isn't - he just keeps finding different ways to get out.

Fine enough to say he was a Harbhajan bunny in 2000\01, but not this series. Too much has changed in the meantime.