• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team will chase down 500 in Tests?

Which team will chase down 500 runs in a Test first?

• Total voters

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It will have to be two sides with good batting and not so good bowling that will find themselves in such a situation. I would say India and Sri Lanka (preferably with a sick Murali). Either side could do it against the other.

Craig

World Traveller
I wasn't taking a cheap shot at anybody.

I don't know why I didn't put England down, I just didn't.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Took the serious option and went for India. As a number of people have said, they seem to be the only side who would likely concede so many runs and then have the quality to chase it down.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Presumably due to the chances of them being in such a predicament are rather slim. If the opposition are scoring runs first dig, then the greatest batting line-up in world cricket surely will as well, regardless of their bowling. Similarly, sides such as South Africa could never chase 500 at home, getting 250 last dig is hard enough. Only places they could do it in are the very places where they would be asking themselves, how the **** did we find are selves in the position of wanting 500 and realistically that won’t happen unless their bowling attack is reduced to Graeme Smith and Hashim Amla.

pasag

RTDAS
It will happen, but it wont be New Zealand (lol). SA or India will be the ones to do it. Not sure how many times Aus will be set 500 in the near future - don't think it will happen but wouldn't rule it out either.
Well, we have our chance...

Xuhaib

International Coach
8-)

We had our chance in that we had 500 set so we had an opportunity to break the record. Not difficult.
sorry if it sounded like a personal insult.

Just thought it was funny that you dug up an old thread for this farce.

Not your fault though.

pup11

International Coach
I think its not sensible to expect any team to chase down 500 or above in the near future unless the bowling standards deteriorate massively and the pitches across the world completely stop assisting bowlers on a day 4 and 5 tracks, maybe teams might chase down anything around 400 to 420 mark on a few rare occasions but anything beyond that won't be chased anytime soon imo.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Presumably due to the chances of them being in such a predicament are rather slim. If the opposition are scoring runs first dig, then the greatest batting line-up in world cricket surely will as well, regardless of their bowling.
Maybe not. :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think its not sensible to expect any team to chase down 500 or above in the near future unless the bowling standards deteriorate massively and the pitches across the world completely stop assisting bowlers on a day 4 and 5 tracks, maybe teams might chase down anything around 400 to 420 mark on a few rare occasions but anything beyond that won't be chased anytime soon imo.
I don't think it's sensible to expect 500+ to be chased-down - ever. Only once has 500+ ever been scored in the fourth-innings, in a freak timeless game on what could only have been a pitch that flattened-out to be flat with the best of them.

It might, possibly happen someday. But 400+ has been chased-down just 3 times in 60 years. It might well be 20 years (or more) before that even happens again.

That 500+ will never happen is far from inconceivable.

pup11

International Coach
I don't think it's sensible to expect 500+ to be chased-down - ever. Only once has 500+ ever been scored in the fourth-innings, in a freak timeless game on what could only have been a pitch that flattened-out to be flat with the best of them.

It might, possibly happen someday. But 400+ has been chased-down just 3 times in 60 years. It might well be 20 years (or more) before that even happens again.That 500+ will never happen is far from inconceivable.
I would be more than happy if test cricket survives for that long tbh, but you are right the way test cricket is played would have to change terribly if that targets like 500 or more are to chased.