• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fiery's Season 2007/08

Fiery

Banned
Thought I would copy and paste this diary of my season I've been keeping on another site:

Game 1:

Couldn't play. Was working. We won.

Game 2:

We got well beaten on Saturday, in fact we got our butts kicked. It has been a poor start to the season for us. (I found out today that our games are only 35 overs this year due to an issue with bad light late in the season last year). Last week, in a game I couldn't play as I was working, we were rolled for 55 chasing 100 to win.

Today we won the toss and decided to field. Our opening bowler, (a South African friend I work with) who is seriously quick for this grade took 2 early wickets but the rest of our bowlers bowled poorly. We bowled 24 wides in our 35 overs which was unacceptable tbh. Anyway, 3 of their batsmen got 50s and they ended up with a total of 217/6. Chasing 218, we lost wickets consistently. I batted at 6 and scored 11...felt rusty as hell and didn't have any contact lens left so my vision wasn't the best (that's my excuse anyway). Our No.5 top scored with 30 but the highest partnership was actually the last wicket partnership! They got 37 and we scratched our way to 128 all out with about 6 overs to go. Pretty average stuff but good to catch up with all the guys and get out on the field anyway. They were a really good bunch of guys we played against and the game was played in excellent spirit...plenty of laughs and none of the niggle we have against some of teams we play.

We came 3rd in the league last year so have some work to do. I'm sore as hell from standing in the field for a few hours which doesn't say much for my level of fitness at the moment. Will have to go on a few runs this week and get back into the gym I think. Anyone else play today?

Game 3:

A comfortable 8 wicket win for the lads today. We were chasing 174, recovered from 14/2 to win with a couple of overs to spare. Our skipper ended on 93* and our #4 got 66*. I was next man in...so I didn't bat or bowl. My sole contribution to the win was a catch in the gully (soon followed by dropping an absolute sitter).

Unfortunately, it was one of those games in which absolutely nothing interesting happened.

Game 4:

Superb weather here today. We had a really good win today and I got a few runs so life is good

We lost the toss and got put into bat. Our top-order did a great job at getting us to 99/1 at drinks (18 overs). After drinks we kept scoring at a good rate but lost a couple wickets. I was batting at 6 and came in with 3 overs to spare. I managed to hit my 2nd, 3rd and 5th balls for 6 and took 25 off the over and ended up with 30. We got to 227 off our 35. We thought this total would take some getting but at 108/2 at drinks, things were evenly poised. We bowled superbly after the break and the run-rate simply got away from them. We ended up bowling them all out in the last over with about 20 runs to spare. Great result for us.

Points table after round 4 (My team bolded):

Division 1 Runs|WktsTaken| Bonus| Penalty| MatchPts|Points
------------------------------------------------------------
Southern...711 .......39.......... ...0 .......0...... 4000.... 5686
Airport.... 615 .......40 .............0 .......0...... 4000.... 5615
Eastern.. 585....... 36..............0 .......0...... 2000.... 3485
Customs.. 672........28............. 0........ 0...... 2000.... 3372
Remuera.. 525....... 23............. 0........ 0...... 2000.... 3100
West XI... 667....... 34............. 0....... 0....... 1000.... 2517
Pigeon Mountain 622 35........... 0........ 0...... 1000.... 2497
Oratia..... 431........ 25............ 0........ 0........ 0....... 1056

Game 5:

Horrible overcast and windy day for cricket yesterday but we had another excellent win. That's 3 in a row now and after the first 2 games which we lost, we have managed to turn things around quite nicely.

Skipper won the toss and decided we would bat. I batted at 3 so padded up. The innings got off to a flyer and we were 30/0 after 3 overs before we lost our first wicket. I went in and edged my 2nd ball low to 1st slip, who juggled it 4 times before the keeper dived across and slipped his hand under the ball just before it reached the ground to pull off a freakishly good catch, so that was the end of me. I was resigned to the fact I would be packing up the team gear bag (which is a role reserved for the batsman who scores the lowest score of the day....luckily our Number 6 also got a quacker so I had some assistance).
Our number 4 and 5 got 64 and 66 respectively and we ended up being bowled out with a couple of overs of the alloted 35 to spare for a very respectable and defendable 219.
Chasing 220 to win, we had them 3 down for ****-all and it looked like it be an early finish for us but their 4th wicket partnership decided to try and hit their team out of trouble, which worked well for them. At the drinks break after 18 overs they were about 120/3 and had us a bit concerned but soon after the break we got a double breakthrough and the rest of their batting line-up were not much chop and we managed to bowl them out for 177 and win by 44 runs.
They were an arrogant, rude bunch of up-starts to play against unfortunately and would appeal for anything and sometimes for ridiculous things. One guy fielding at square leg would go up about 3 times an over for lbws and there was a lot of swearing and name-calling. One of our bowlers was incensed at a wide call and there was nearly a punch-up when the umpire told him to "shut your ****ing hole" and then went on a verbal tirade about how "he bet this saturday game of cricket was the highlight of our lives....blah blah blah", (it is in my case, but I decided not to say that :p ) , so it was good to beat them soundly.

We are improving in the wide department but still bowled 16. One guy is the main culprit and I cannot understand why our skipper keeps bowling him tbh

Personal stats: Mat Inns NO Runs HS ...Ave.. BF.. SR.... 100 50 4s 6s Ct St
Fiery................. 4.....3.....0....41....30...13.67.. 29..141.38..0...0...4...3...2..0

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Thought I would copy and paste this diary of my season I've been keeping on another site:

Game 1:

Couldn't play. Was working. We won.

Game 2:

We got well beaten on Saturday, in fact we got our butts kicked. It has been a poor start to the season for us. (I found out today that our games are only 35 overs this year due to an issue with bad light late in the season last year). Last week, in a game I couldn't play as I was working, we were rolled for 55 chasing 100 to win.

Today we won the toss and decided to field. Our opening bowler, (a South African friend I work with) who is seriously quick for this grade took 2 early wickets but the rest of our bowlers bowled poorly. We bowled 24 wides in our 35 overs which was unacceptable tbh. Anyway, 3 of their batsmen got 50s and they ended up with a total of 217/6. Chasing 218, we lost wickets consistently. I batted at 6 and scored 11...felt rusty as hell and didn't have any contact lens left so my vision wasn't the best (that's my excuse anyway). Our No.5 top scored with 30 but the highest partnership was actually the last wicket partnership! They got 37 and we scratched our way to 128 all out with about 6 overs to go. Pretty average stuff but good to catch up with all the guys and get out on the field anyway. They were a really good bunch of guys we played against and the game was played in excellent spirit...plenty of laughs and none of the niggle we have against some of teams we play.

We came 3rd in the league last year so have some work to do. I'm sore as hell from standing in the field for a few hours which doesn't say much for my level of fitness at the moment. Will have to go on a few runs this week and get back into the gym I think. Anyone else play today?

Game 3:

A comfortable 8 wicket win for the lads today. We were chasing 174, recovered from 14/2 to win with a couple of overs to spare. Our skipper ended on 93* and our #4 got 66*. I was next man in...so I didn't bat or bowl. My sole contribution to the win was a catch in the gully (soon followed by dropping an absolute sitter).

Unfortunately, it was one of those games in which absolutely nothing interesting happened.

Game 4:

Superb weather here today. We had a really good win today and I got a few runs so life is good

We lost the toss and got put into bat. Our top-order did a great job at getting us to 99/1 at drinks (18 overs). After drinks we kept scoring at a good rate but lost a couple wickets. I was batting at 6 and came in with 3 overs to spare. I managed to hit my 2nd, 3rd and 5th balls for 6 and took 25 off the over and ended up with 30. We got to 227 off our 35. We thought this total would take some getting but at 108/2 at drinks, things were evenly poised. We bowled superbly after the break and the run-rate simply got away from them. We ended up bowling them all out in the last over with about 20 runs to spare. Great result for us.

Points table after round 4 (My team bolded):

Division 1 Runs|WktsTaken| Bonus| Penalty| MatchPts|Points
------------------------------------------------------------
Southern...711 .......39.......... ...0 .......0...... 4000.... 5686
Airport.... 615 .......40 .............0 .......0...... 4000.... 5615
Eastern.. 585....... 36..............0 .......0...... 2000.... 3485
Customs.. 672........28............. 0........ 0...... 2000.... 3372
Remuera.. 525....... 23............. 0........ 0...... 2000.... 3100
West XI... 667....... 34............. 0....... 0....... 1000.... 2517
Pigeon Mountain 622 35........... 0........ 0...... 1000.... 2497
Oratia..... 431........ 25............ 0........ 0........ 0....... 1056

Game 5:

Horrible overcast and windy day for cricket yesterday but we had another excellent win. That's 3 in a row now and after the first 2 games which we lost, we have managed to turn things around quite nicely.

Skipper won the toss and decided we would bat. I batted at 3 so padded up. The innings got off to a flyer and we were 30/0 after 3 overs before we lost our first wicket. I went in and edged my 2nd ball low to 1st slip, who juggled it 4 times before the keeper dived across and slipped his hand under the ball just before it reached the ground to pull off a freakishly good catch, so that was the end of me. I was resigned to the fact I would be packing up the team gear bag (which is a role reserved for the batsman who scores the lowest score of the day....luckily our Number 6 also got a quacker so I had some assistance).
Our number 4 and 5 got 64 and 66 respectively and we ended up being bowled out with a couple of overs of the alloted 35 to spare for a very respectable and defendable 219.
Chasing 220 to win, we had them 3 down for ****-all and it looked like it be an early finish for us but their 4th wicket partnership decided to try and hit their team out of trouble, which worked well for them. At the drinks break after 18 overs they were about 120/3 and had us a bit concerned but soon after the break we got a double breakthrough and the rest of their batting line-up were not much chop and we managed to bowl them out for 177 and win by 44 runs.
They were an arrogant, rude bunch of up-starts to play against unfortunately and would appeal for anything and sometimes for ridiculous things. One guy fielding at square leg would go up about 3 times an over for lbws and there was a lot of swearing and name-calling. One of our bowlers was incensed at a wide call and there was nearly a punch-up when the umpire told him to "shut your ****ing hole" and then went on a verbal tirade about how "he bet this saturday game of cricket was the highlight of our lives....blah blah blah", (it is in my case, but I decided not to say that :p ) , so it was good to beat them soundly.

We are improving in the wide department but still bowled 16. One guy is the main culprit and I cannot understand why our skipper keeps bowling him tbh

Personal stats: Mat Inns NO Runs HS ...Ave.. BF.. SR.... 100 50 4s 6s Ct St
Fiery................. 4.....3.....0....41....30...13.67.. 29..141.38..0...0...4...3...2..0
Nice strike rate

Fiery

Banned
Sitting 2nd on the table now. Playing Oratia this Sunday:

Round 5

Division 1 Runs Wkts Taken Bonus Penalty Match Pts Points
Southern 1292 59 0 0 6000 8767
Eastern 987 56 0 0 4000 6387
Airport 958 53 0 0 4000 6283
Pigeon Mountain 954 54 108 0 3000 5412
Customs 1072 41 0 0 3000 5097
Remuera 851 41 0 0 2000 3876
Oratia 729 39 0 0 1000 2704
West XI 887 44 0 335 1000 2652

Fiery

Banned
The weather was appalling here today. Squally showers coming in sideways. We decided to play anyway as it was just spitting at 1am and won the toss and batted. The drizzle never really eased and the ball was like a cake of soap so we called it off after 18 overs. At 140/2, we were looking good to post a big total. Last game next week before we break for Christmas and New Years

Fiery

Banned
We had another good win today. We were chasing 230 to win and won with 5 wickets down and 10 balls to spare. I did not bat or ball but took a reasonably easy catch from a skier at point. We had to rearrange the batting order and let some of the guys who usually bat lower in early as they had to leave early to attend their Christmas work do's.

We have now won 5 in a row.