• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Long term bets..

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Rob Quiney to play 50+ ODIs, Michael Klinger to get a Baggy Green.

Anyone?
I am pretty confident that Quiney will not play 50+ ODIs, I just can't see it happening and even if he gets a game for Aus I don't think he'll be a permanent enough fixture for a year or two to get to the half century.

Klinger.. hmm, not certain on this one really because he has a chance to be the next number 3 after Ponting IMO.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rob Quiney to play 50+ ODIs, Michael Klinger to get a Baggy Green.

Anyone?
Quiney may play for us, but it won't be for 50+ ODIs. Doubt Klinger will play for Australia - Ponting & Katich will probably last until their late 30's ATS, as might Hussey.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
My bets ATM (largely concerning young players)...
Phil Hughes and Umar Akaml will average > 50.
Kane Williamson and Adrian Barath will average > 40.
Jonathon Vandiar and Rilee Rossouw will come gun crickets in the future.

Wayne Parnell, Mohammad Aamer and Ishant Sharma will average < 25.
Tim Southee and Piyush Chawla will average < 30.
At least one of Scott Walter, Alister McDermott, James Pattinson and Josh Hazlewood will have a distinguished career.

I realise that by the time their international careers finish the forum will be a different place, but meh. :p
Think the bolded one is your most unlikely bet - IMO it's extremely hard to pick who of the current crop of young bowlers will stay injury-free, develop and learn enough to become that good. All of those bowlers plus the ones you mentioned below that have a long way to go to be that good.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could stick my neck out and say Aamer will end up averaging as much with the bat as he will with the ball.

Flem274*

123/5
How so?
I think he could average ~30 with the bat and comfortably < 30 with the ball.
That clarifies it a bit then:) I took your "roughly as much" to mean about the same. So if for example he averaged 22 he'd average 21-23, which is okay for a tailender but if he was decent at batting, say an average of 28, then he would be merely a good rather than great bowler which would have disappointed a lot of fans I'm sure (and made me relieved as NZ play him shortly :p)

Jarquis

That clarifies it a bit then:) I took your "roughly as much" to mean about the same. So if for example he averaged 22 he'd average 21-23, which is okay for a tailender but if he was decent at batting, say an average of 28, then he would be merely a good rather than great bowler which would have disappointed a lot of fans I'm sure (and made me relieved as NZ play him shortly :p)
Yeah, probably was poorly worded initially. I was just trying to hedge my bets :p
Thought it may have been excessively bold to say flat out that he'd average more with the bat than the ball based on so little. Then again he i still incredibly young and has every chance he'll develop with the bat.
So yeah what I originally statement was based upon it already being accepted that he'll average mid-low 20s as a bowler.

Uppercut

Yeah, probably was poorly worded initially. I was just trying to hedge my bets :p
Thought it may have been excessively bold to say flat out that he'd average more with the bat than the ball based on so little. Then again he i still incredibly young and has every chance he'll develop with the bat.
So yeah what I originally statement was based upon it already being accepted that he'll average mid-low 20s as a bowler.
Nah. Only the absolute all-time greats will average low-20s as a bowler these days. For a Pakistani to do it he'd have to be the bowling equivalent of Bradman. It's become fashionable to state that with flat pitches a batting average of 50 is the new 40 in test cricket but no one seems to want to apply it the other way.

Jarquis

Mid-low, when I said that originally I had 27-24 in mind as an approximation. I'm not suggesting he'll average <23 or even <24... Just he'll be closer to <24 than >30 imo.
Though this is off the back of a very limited number of Test matches :p.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I am sure majority on CW will not this that Aamir has already had 2stress fractures so there is a big chance that injuries may end up ruining his career.

Uppercut

Mid-low, when I said that originally I had 27-24 in mind as an approximation. I'm not suggesting he'll average <23 or even <24... Just he'll be closer to <24 than >30 imo.
Though this is off the back of a very limited number of Test matches :p.
I'll bet you that he'll finish with a career average of over 27 then. How's that? :p

Xuhaib

International Coach
Aamir's future as a bowler will depend apart from the injuries on how quick and how well he can develop his inswinger, atm he get's the shape in but he still he needs some work on it. Even Akram mentioned it was on the tour of Aus in 89 when he first started feeling comfortable with his swinger he was already 23 by then with a 4 year exp on his cv so Aamir does have time on his side.

The good thing for Aamir is he does have an action that should allow him to bowl a good inswinger though getting closer to the stumpsfor a start will help him greatly.

morgieb

My bets ATM (largely concerning young players)...
Phil Hughes and Umar Akaml will average > 50.
Kane Williamson and Adrian Barath will average > 40.
Jonathon Vandiar and Rilee Rossouw will come gun crickets in the future.

Wayne Parnell, Mohammad Aamer and Ishant Sharma will average < 25.
Tim Southee and Piyush Chawla will average < 30.
At least one of Scott Walter, Alister McDermott, James Pattinson and Josh Hazlewood will have a distinguished career.

I realise that by the time their international careers finish the forum will be a different place, but meh. :p
Not looking good so far. Hughes looks like another player who'll be gun at FC cricket but lacks the technique for higher cricket, Akmal's bats like an idiot from what I've seen, Williamson and Barath should average 40+, the 2 Saffies might be a bit off, too early to say.

Aamer might but the chances of him playing tests (or if he does, being the same player) looks slim to nothing, Parnell might, Sharma won't (thanks a lot, BCCI!), Southee looks like he might not even average < 40, Chawla's test chances aren't that high for whatever reason but he's still quite young, Walter's dropped out and McDermott doesn't look like the sort of bowler that'll be very successful in higher cricket, but the other two are a good chance of doing so.