• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket's greatest rivalries?

Who is cricket's greatest rivalry

• South Africa v England

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • West Indies v England

• New Zealand v Australia

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
Who is it? I suppose Australia and England for the win, but India and Pakistan can't be discounted and contests between the WI and England, and South Africa and England are up there.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Would like to think the Frank Worrell Trophy was up there, especially from 1989-99.

But out of the current selection:
Traditionally - The Ashes
Emotionally - India/Pakistan

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Historically it has to be the Ashes, but the emotion, pride and passion surrounding India-Pakistan clashes can't be ignored.

In the end, neither of them comes close to Dicko-Beevs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who is it? I suppose Australia and England for the win, but India and Pakistan can't be discounted and contests between the WI and England, and South Africa and England are up there.
Hahahahaha. Voted Ind-Pak before I saw that myself and Beevs was actually an option. :laugh:

I know I said I'd try to avoid mentioning him again, but my dislike of him has to do with far, far more than the game of cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Historically i'd rate the top 3 cricketening rivalries as The Ashes, Frank Worrell Trophy & India vs Pakistan. Other rivalries such as India vs Australia from 98-2004 etc had its their periods but have just died down..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I picked Australia vs England because the rivalry is strong in Test cricket - the type that matters. The problem with India-Pakistan is that the rivalry is rarely handled the right way by millions of dire fans, and usually ODIs matter a lot. Plus, historically, India-Pakistan Tests have frequently been played conservatively because both sides were afraid of losing and facing public wrath at home, whereas Ashes have a longer and more interesting history behind them.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I picked Australia vs England because the rivalry is strong in Test cricket - the type that matters. The problem with India-Pakistan is that the rivalry is rarely handled the right way by millions of dire fans, and usually ODIs matter a lot. Plus, historically, India-Pakistan Tests have frequently been played conservatively because both sides were afraid of losing and facing public wrath at home, whereas Ashes have a longer and more interesting history behind them.
Aye, been quite envious of the Ashes rivalry itbt.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You've yet to make up a nickname for me yet.
I don't need one - your posting-ID is your nickname. And you've complained vociferously about my not using it, exactly, alone.

Not, of course, that I even dislike you. The whole lot comes from your direction, and of times has been almost as bad as some of the stuff Beevs threw my way. (No, that's not a comment on Beevs)