• Curtley Ambrose

60 59.41%
  • Glenn McGrath

41 40.59%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambrose v McGrath

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    But McGrath's "fallow" period between 23rd August 2001 and 21st November 2004 always made me rate Ambrose the better. During this time, let's not forget, McGrath only ever got wickets on non-seaming pitches (the vast majority) through poor strokes.
    Please cite examples. Doesn't seem right without some spurious statistic in tow.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    McGrath.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    At the peak of their powers, big Ambi just shades McGrath because he was just so destructive. There was a palpable tension when Ambi was bowling well whereas with McGrath, it was all part of the plan. Ambi was positively dangerous on occasion. Vastly under-rated bowler except when he was playing and by those who played against him. McGrath was very clinical, Ambi was a menace. It's been said so many times but he did indeed bowl the best first over of any bowler and it was not just the accuracy but the probability of getting a wicket which made people say that I reckon.

But if we're talking all-wicket ability, longevity and overall achievement, I'd have to put McGrath a little higher. Ambi also had a greater propensity to lose his temper and try to hit the batsmen rather than get them out and there were some real lulls in his career post 1994 when he bowled with less pace whereas McGrath was far more consistent. I guess to give an example, McGrath bowled one of his best ever spells in 2005 at Lords when he was only a year away from finishing whereas Ambi's best was well behind him when he gave it up although part of me suspects it was a motivation thing rather than loss of ability. SO yeah, for consistency, McGrath but both bowlers at peak, Ambi. Just.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    At the peak of their powers, big Ambi just shades McGrath because he was just so destructive. There was a palpable tension when Ambi was bowling well whereas with McGrath, it was all part of the plan. Ambi was positively dangerous on occasion. Vastly under-rated bowler except when he was playing and by those who played against him. McGrath was very clinical, Ambi was a menace. It's been said so many times but he did indeed bowl the best first over of any bowler and it was not just the accuracy but the probability of getting a wicket which made people say that I reckon.

But if we're talking all-wicket ability, longevity and overall achievement, I'd have to put McGrath a little higher. Ambi also had a greater propensity to lose his temper and try to hit the batsmen rather than get them out and there were some real lulls in his career post 1994 when he bowled with less pace whereas McGrath was far more consistent. I guess to give an example, McGrath bowled one of his best ever spells in 2005 at Lords when he was only a year away from finishing whereas Ambi's best was well behind him when he gave it up although part of me suspects it was a motivation thing rather than loss of ability. SO yeah, for consistency, McGrath but both bowlers at peak, Ambi. Just.
    I guess what happened at the WACA in 96/97 (?) be a prime example?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International Debutant
    Ambrose never bowled in India.. would that count against him?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurrz View Post
    That is very surprising

Although he did average 21.5 against Australia and 18.8 v England.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurrz View Post
    IMO, yes. But not because he didn't play there. My reasoning would be that because McGrath performed similarly well in other countries, and also in India. It's not Ambrose's fault, but I think McGrath could be put above him because he did play and perform in India.

I'm surprised that so many rate Ambrose ahead of McGrath. If I had to have one on my team I'd choose McGrath any day of the week.
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

Banned
    McGrath, I didnt have to think twice about it.

McGrath is the best ever, hes probably the most accurate bowler of all time. Hes gotten the most wickets in test cricket for a fast bowler, one of the best averages and strike rates in history....

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post

Yeah agree with this. Splitting hairs with all time greats but Ambrose for me just, as well.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Can batting ability come into play?

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Would be a bit unfair on poor Ambrose

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    T'would favour Ambrose

Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    T'would favour Ambrose
    Ah.

So Ambrose > McGrath now then.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    McGrath. Very similar records, but for his longevity and the way he adapted and was still consistent, it puts him ahead of Ambrose, and most other fast bowlers with similar records too.
    ★★★★★

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information