• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Arthur Shrewsbury in Private Life" by Dick Lilley

neville cardus

International Debutant
"Arthur Shrewsbury in private life was a man of many distinct peculiarities. He was naturally of a serious disposition, and did not enter into the usual sociabilities of life. He was fond of sitting down and talking cricket shop, but at the conclusion of the day's play he was never to be found associating with his confrères, but, whenever at all practicable, he would make speedy tracks towards his own home. This was one of his most pronounced characteristics, and during the month he was with us [coaching] he frequently left Birmingham in the evening and returned the following morning." - ''Twenty Four Years of Cricket'', p. 24-25

archie mac

International Coach
"Arthur Shrewsbury in private life was a man of many distinct peculiarities. He was naturally of a serious disposition, and did not enter into the usual sociabilities of life. He was fond of sitting down and talking cricket shop, but at the conclusion of the day's play he was never to be found associating with his confrères, but, whenever at all practicable, he would make speedy tracks towards his own home. This was one of his most pronounced characteristics, and during the month he was with us [coaching] he frequently left Birmingham in the evening and returned the following morning." - ''Twenty Four Years of Cricket'', p. 24-25
A very good read that book:)

I read a bio of Shrewsbury ('Give me Arthur'), the author does not think he left 'so he could sleep in his own bed, but because he was workaholic

I always find it fascinating that there is no picture of AS without his hat:laugh:

neville cardus

International Debutant
A very good read that book:)
I found it a overly diplomatic. This snippet is probably the only uncomplimentary word that Dick utters about anyone.

I read a bio of Shrewsbury ('Give me Arthur'), the author
Wynne-Thomas?

does not think he left 'so he could sleep in his own bed, but because he was workaholic
What did he do away from the game? I can only think of his enterprises with Shaw.

I always find it fascinating that there is no picture of AS without his hat:laugh:
He was bald, apparently, and, like Bradman late in his career, did his best to hide it.

archie mac

International Coach
I found it a overly diplomatic. This snippet is probably the only uncomplimentary word that Dick utters about anyone.

Wynne-Thomas?

What did he do away from the game? I can only think of his enterprises with Shaw.

I quite liked it:)

Yes Wynne-Thomas, great read:cool:

He ran a sports supply store, and did pretty well:)