• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Im starting to believe what attapattu said about the selectors

Salixiscool

Cricket Spectator
There a bunch of jokers. Honestly, I just read in the newspaper (canberra times) that they were trying to bring malinga into the team, good. But they were thinking of replacing Vaas with malinga. I don't know why they seem to be so keen on keeping fernando in the team. He just can't bowl. At the end of the article it concluded its going to be a tough decision on weather we will pick vaas or malinga. Bowling lineup should be Vaas, Malinga, maharoof and murali. I really hope this is a joke.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Blegh. If they want to win the series, Fernando is a bigger chance to take wickets than Maharoof.

Who would the Australians rather face? Fernando who can be erratic but on his day could knock a team over, or Maharoof who will bowl the same place every over and wouldn't knock a team of Under 12s over.

Maharoof and Vaas are too similar in being stock bowlers - one is enough when the other doesn't even look like taking wickets. Vaas, Malinga, Fernando and Murali is the go.

By the way, I think this is meant to go in the Australia/Sri Lanka tour thingy.

Salixiscool

Cricket Spectator
Blegh. If they want to win the series, Fernando is a bigger chance to take wickets than Maharoof.

Who would the Australians rather face? Fernando who can be erratic but on his day could knock a team over, or Maharoof who will bowl the same place every over and wouldn't knock a team of Under 12s over.

Maharoof and Vaas are too similar in being stock bowlers - one is enough when the other doesn't even look like taking wickets. Vaas, Malinga, Fernando and Murali is the go.

By the way, I think this is meant to go in the Australia/Sri Lanka tour thingy.
Oh right sorry my bad, Im fairly new to this forum.

And yeah I have to agree, there both pretty average. But I would still choose maharoof. At least he won't go for 4 an over. He just bowls too many bad bowls. Fernando has been given a lot of chances and has been too inconsistent. Also Maharoof adds a bit more beef to the batting although you don't really choose a bowler for their batting too often.

And thats not my main problem, My main gripe is why would you drop Vaas? I mean even if he got wacked around a bit, why would you drop one of your most experienced pacemen on a match against Australia?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
It is a poor decision - Vaas, whilst not being as good as he used to be, is better than Maharoof and Fernando. I just feel picking Maharoof AND Vaas is the sort of overly conservative selection that has cost touring sides in the past.

The first nail in the coffin was not picking Malinga for the first test - I can't imagine how keeping Maharoof and Vaas in the side will give them any chance of taking anything from Hobart; even if they do only go at 2-3 runs an over.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I hate to admitt but when was the last time Vaas took a major haul in Tests. Like Pollock people seem to judging them on past performances rather then current form. I can't see Maharoof taking Test wickets either though. Vaas is basically going to get dropped sooner or later and maybe while Murali still at his best, is probably the best time to blood the new pace attack. That way there is slightly less pressure on the guys that come in.

End of the day you can't keep picking players on the back of past performances. Sooner or later the selectors are going to have to wake up to this fact. Yeah in a perfect world the guys that come in should be Test standard already. But with this season being the first time ever we have had a professional domestic competition, it is unrealistic to expect players to come into the side that are Test standard.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vaas has been average for a little while now in Tests. But I don't when people say "When was the last time he took a major haul" and the same thing applies to Shaun Pollock. With Makhaya Ntini and Lasith Malinga becoming the more aggressive bowlers in the combination, then it is left to the likes of Vaas and Pollock to keep it tight and act as a stock bowler.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has Fernando ever done anything against Australia? And which of the selectors is he sleeping with to get an extended run? Dropping Vaas would be a mistake IMO, if you're going to blood your younger bowlers I think they have to be better than the ones you're replacing. Have Sri Lanka gone to the English School of Team Selection?

bond21

Banned
Pollock is an all rounder, he adds depth to the batting.

He shouldnt have to be their best bowler if he can bat.

Hes also a bowler you bring on to tie up an end so they cant score, hes great at that.

iamdavid

International Debutant
It is very difficult to accept negative things one of your "favourite players", or to take on board that a player who you simply percieve as being very good is perhaps no longer worthy of that status.
But I am starting to come around in the case of Vaas.....In 9 test matches since the start of 2006 he has averaged a tick under 40 with the ball, if you take out the two tests against Bangladesh, his figures for this period read 7 matches for 13 wickets at an average of 49. A strike-rate of almost 100 balls per wicket.
Now I love Chaminda Vaas and always have, but after taking those numbers into account I begin to see the thinking of the Sri Lankan camp in suggesting he may be the one to miss out.

However if it were my call I would certainly still have him in the side tomorrow morning, his figures (like everbody else) were ordinary in Brisbane. However I felt like he was the seamer who made best use of the conditions on that first day, he beat the bat a number of times and to Jaques in particular I always felt like he was in with a chance, managed to move the ball around a little even once the sun came out (which Fernando and Maharoof never looked like doing). The one gripe I had was that his control was not as good as I've come to expect with him, he did let them off the hook a little on one or two occasions, however not nearly as badly as Fernando did and he still looked every bit the leader of the attack to me.
Plus theres what he adds with the bat and in the field (in comparison to Fernando atleast).
Interestingly his ODI record over the last couple of years is not nearly as bad as his test one, 55 wickets @27, indicates he still has a bit in the tank.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
OH WE'RE FROM TIGERLAND!

A FIGHTING FURY WE'RE FROM TIGERLAND....

Welcome to the forums mate. Good to have another Richmond fan on the boards. :)