• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best player never to have got a Test double ton?

Craig

World Traveller
I'm not counting Jacques Kallis now at writing because he is stilling batting and could still get there in his innings v NZ. I was also going to form a poll but it would be too long and I would end up missing some obvious names.

If Kallis doesn't get it today then he would get my vote, otherwise I'm picking Colin Cowdrey, followed by Ian Chappell and Michael Atherton, although I should add that Mark Waugh also deserves a mention.

Craig

World Traveller
I think allowances can be made for Richards in that he could only play four Tests.

cricman

International 12th Man
you had to jinx Kallis didn't you! all u had to do is wait 15 minutes and open the thread

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Glenn Mcgrath ( The thread says best player not best batsman heck i could even say Micheal Jordan being as the thread doesn't even on insist on a cricket player)

Steve Tikolo

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Without wanting to rank them, here are the surprise ommissions from the list of those who scored a double hundred.

Atherton
Azharuddin
Chappell Ian
Cowdrey
Ganguly
Haynes
Kallicharran
Kallis
Richardson
Stewart, Alec
Sutcliffe, Herbert
Vaughan
Waugh, Mark

I think Colin Cowdrey and Herbert Sutcliffe isare the biggest surprises for me in that list. Not only did they get so many centuries but they were the type to play long innings

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mark Waugh would be close to favourite for the best player to have never scored above 150 tbh.

As for a double ton, Sutcliffe for mine.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Without wanting to rank them, here are the surprise ommissions from the list of those who scored a double hundred.

Atherton
Azharuddin
Chappell Ian
Cowdrey
Ganguly
Haynes
Kallicharran
Kallis
Richardson
Stewart, Alec
Sutcliffe, Herbert
Vaughan
Waugh, Mark

I think Colin Cowdrey and Herbert Sutcliffe isare the biggest surprises for me in that list. Not only did they get so many centuries but they were the type to play long innings
Would add Clem Hill there as well.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Mark Waugh would be close to favourite for the best player to have never scored above 150 tbh.
153* against India.

First instinct was Muralitharan but someone already beat me with McGrath. Kallis would be right up there with WG Grace

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Australia:

WW Bardsley
Lawrence Booth
P Burge
I Chappell
Fingleton
Hassett
Clem Hill
FA Iredale
A Jackson
MacCartney
Miller
NC O'Neill
Redpath
ME Waugh
Woodfull

England:

Abel
Ames
Atherton
Cowdrey
O'Oliviera
Duleepsinghji
Fletcher
Tony Greig
FS Jackson
Jardine
Leyland
CP Mead
Parfitt
Pullar
Ranji
CAG Russell
Stewart
Sutcliffe
G Tyldessley
C Washbrook
F Wooley

India:

M Amarnath
Azhar
Ganguly
Hazare
Merchant
Vengsarkar

New Zealand:

A Jones

Pakistan:

Asif Iqbal
Majid Khan

RSA:

Bland
Kallis
Melville
B Mitchell
HW Taylor

Kepler Wessels (Aus and RSA)

Sri Lanka:

Tillekeratne

West Indies:

Roy Fredericks
Haynes
Kallicharan
Richardson

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach

Atherton
Azharuddin
Chappell Ian
Cowdrey
Ganguly
Haynes
Kallicharran
Kallis
Richardson
Stewart, Alec
Sutcliffe, Herbert
Vaughan
Waugh, Mark

Where is Saeed Anwar?

White Lightning

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It's Herb Sutcliffe surely. Can't be too much debate on the topic.

He is the only batsman with geunine claims to be the second best test batsman of all time to have not scored a double century, and therefore he really takes the mantle by default.

other batsman in this thread are fantastic, but none of them at his level.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Well if people can mention Ganguly and Vaughan I think I have right to add Marto :laugh:

Double tons are overrated, you've got a hundred isn't that enough already? :cool:

I'm amazed to hear Kallis has never scored a double ton, he seens the sort that would bat for days 8-)