• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will do best in World Cup 2003?

Who will dominate the World Cup?

• Andy Caddick

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Marcus Trescothick

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Ian Blackwell

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Nixon McLean

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
The World Cup is almost upon us and so who do you think will do best from Somerset's World Cup contingent?

Will it be Caddick whose one day form in the last 2 weeks has been spectacular?

Can Marcus Trescothick shake off his Ashes demons and raise merry hell for Zimbabwe, India and the rest?

Will Ian Blackwell announce himself to the world and bully bowling attacks like he does so well for Somerset?

Can Nixon McLean shake up the likes of Tendulkar and Gilchrist as West Indies gun for glory?

You decide............

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Bangar is one of the top English batsmen, and he is one of the premier One Day Opening Batsmen in the world. I think he's going to shine.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, Bangar is an Indian middle-order player in ODIs

Banger, on the other hand, is in good touch and capable of really good innings.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I voted for Trez (I call him this because it gets confusing with the Bang(e/a)rs). And the reason is because he seems in reasonable form, and is guaranteed to start. I don't expect McLean to get a game and maybe not Blackwell so by a process of elimination it's between the two 'icks', and you can just never tell with Caddy.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For some reason my gut instinct was Caddick!

I think he could be a true star in the next 6 weeks.

Rich2001

International Captain
Final 15 players

*+Alec Stewart (Surrey)
Adam Hollioake (Surrey)
Graham Thorpe (Surrey)
Nasser Hussain (Essex)
Ian Austin (Lancashire)
Neil Fairbrother (Lancashire)
Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire)
Nick Knight (Warwickshire)
Robert Croft (Glamorgan)
Mark Ealham (Kent)
Angus Fraser (Middlesex)
Darren Gough (Yorkshire)
Graeme Hick (Worcestershire)
Vince Wells (Leicestershire)
Alan Mullally (Leicestershire)

The original 37-man squad

*Alec Stewart (Surrey)
Adam Hollioake (Surrey)
Ben Hollioake (Surrey)
Graham Thorpe (Surrey)
Alistair Brown (Surrey)
Mark Alleyne (Gloucestershire)
Mike Atherton (Lancashire)
Ian Austin (Lancashire)
John Crawley (Lancashire)
Neil Fairbrother (Lancashire)
Peter Martin (Lancashire)
Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire)
+Warren Hegg (Lancashire)
Dougie Brown (Warwickshire)
Ashley Giles (Warwickshire)
Nick Knight (Warwickshire)
Robert Croft (Glamorgan)
Mark Ealham (Kent)
Matthew Fleming (Kent)
Dean Headley (Kent)
Angus Fraser (Middlesex)
Mark Ramprakash (Middlesex)
Darren Gough (Yorkshire)
Gavin Hamilton (Yorkshire)
Graeme Hick (Worcestershire)
Nasser Hussain (Essex)
Darren Maddy (Leicestershire)
Vince Wells (Leicestershire)
Alan Mullally (Leicestershire)
Ben Smith (Leicestershire)

Intresting to see how things have changed, and Caddy couldn't even make the orignal 37 squad, could he have been injuired? or just badly out of form?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rich2001 said:

Intresting to see how things have changed, and Caddy couldn't even make the orignal 37 squad, could he have been injuired? or just badly out of form?
Think it was more to do with Stewart not knowing how to deal with him - only Nasser has really kept him in line.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I think Ian Blackwell because I always like to be optimistic!! I think it's about time he showed the world what he can do.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
No, Bangar is an Indian middle-order player in ODIs

Banger, on the other hand, is in good touch and capable of really good innings.
Dammit...too much alcohol...too little sleep...LEARN FROM IT...why can't I just learn from it...:(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Congrats to the West Indies

OK, so they didn't pick Nixon McLean but they did pip SA which I have to say I didn't expect even if SA lost to Western Province in one of the warm-up games. Hope its a sign of things to come with some of the supposed favourites slipping on banana skins.

I don't imagine McLean will play now they've got off to a flier without him. When he was originally picked, some Somerset fans were worrying this meant he might end up playing Tests in the summer and not be available for Somerset.

And the bad news with that would be???? Just kidding, I'm sure he'll do well for us and I hope he gets his chance in this competition cos he's really shone for Natal in one day cricket.