• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

T20 Do Or Die for India

pup11

International Coach
WC is not only about the best team winning it but there are lot of factors involved in a WC like absorbing the pressure, peaking at the right time, varying tactics against different oppositions, etc.
The teams that play good cricket through the length of the tournament and perform when it really matters are the teams that win the WC and that team should obviously be considered as the best team of that tournament.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BTW there is no way India was the joint best team in 87; they had just been thrashed 5-1 by Pakistan in India. Not sure Sri Lanka was the best in 96 either. It was probably Australia. I agree with your main point though.
Nah no way were Australia the best in 1996, they only got through the semi-final because West Indies tried to finish the game too quickly.

I'll take your word regarding 1987; I honestly don't know the first thing about happenstance pre-tournament, the way I do in 1992 and onwards, because I just haven't ever really examined ODI happenings back then. :) So Pakistan were the best side in 1987?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can I count or can I count :dry:

Unless you feel in 1975 BOTh Windiea and Australia should have won.:huh:

Kidding.
What I was saying, BTW, is that you couldn't really say there was 1 best team in the tournament. It was a shame that famous final wasn't tied, really.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
What I was saying, BTW, is that you couldn't really say there was 1 best team in the tournament. It was a shame that famous final wasn't tied, really.
It may well have ended up so, had Viv's radar not been so finely tuned that day.

Dissector

International Debutant
Pakistan was certainly better than India in 1987; can't say for sure whether they were no.1 at that time but probably yes.

As for Australia they did beat Sri Lanka in Australia before the WC. I think their defeat in the final was generally considered an upset at the time.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah no way were Australia the best in 1996, they only got through the semi-final because West Indies tried to finish the game too quickly.

I'll take your word regarding 1987; I honestly don't know the first thing about happenstance pre-tournament, the way I do in 1992 and onwards, because I just haven't ever really examined ODI happenings back then. :) So Pakistan were the best side in 1987?
Are you talking about the best going into the tournament, or the best team during the tournament? I reckon Australia could claim to have been at the very least near the top in 1996, as they'd just accounted for Sri Lanka themselves in the tri-series in Australia and I think went into the tournament as favourites.

As for 1987, there's a good case that the Windies were still just about the best ODI side in the world then, even if their dominance wasn't as marked as it had been earlier in the decade.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was meaning purely in the tournament TBH, though obviously there have been times when the best side in the tournament has been clearly the best ODI-side for a while anyway (SA in 1999 for instance, or obviously Australia in the last 2 tourneys).

I feel SL, from what I know about the 1996 WC, performed best in it, and were the most notable in terms of innovation.

As I say - about 1987 I know little, only that everyone was expecting an India-Pakistan final.

sideshowtim

Banned
As others have said, winning a WC doesn't always mean you're the best in the world. So India are pretty crazy calling themselves the best T20 side in the world this early on. I don't think anyone can claim that title yet. Wait til the format has been played properly for a little while before claiming that kinda stuff....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As others have said, winning a WC doesn't always mean you're the best in the world. So India are pretty crazy calling themselves the best T20 side in the world this early on. I don't think anyone can claim that title yet. Wait til the format has been played properly for a little while before claiming that kinda stuff....
How many Indians have really claimed that?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate, I don't think too many Indian fans on here have claimed that they're undeniably the best Twenty20 side in the world - as you say, it's too soon to tell. What they have claimed is that they are the official Twenty20 world champions. Which, whatever you think of the format, they are.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
when u say "India are crazy", who exactly are you talking to/about? As far as I know, not many here in CW talked in that way, and if your only way to judge India is the Indian media, then you are the one who is crazy, not our country.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
So out of the first 7 WCs, only twice did the side with clear hedgemony win it.

The purpose of the WC isn't to find the best ODI team, it's to find the team who happens to perform better over the 2 weeks \ 2 months of the tournament.
your usages are always interesting...:)

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
The connecting factor is Australia!!!! If India losses this game.......aussies can claim still they are powerful team in the cricket world...........hey this is just what I think:)
By your logic, if India happens to win the T20 game then does it prove that they are the most powerfull team ??? ;-):smartass: :naughty: :naughty: