• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should broad

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you think Stuart broad has
done enough to get a place in the test squad for england?
i admit he is pretty uneconomical
but to be honest you need
to take wickets
and he is often getting at least 2 wickets per a game for england :)
Well personalitly i dont even think harmison should even play
he is getting old now and you never know if he is going to do well
or not
he would be too risky to be put in the side
Yeah you are probably right there i guess
i think it will be annoying if harmison does play though
waste of time if he doesnt do well
Cricketing haiku?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Would have Broad in the Test team ahead of Anderson and Sidebottom. But I hope from a Sri Lankan POV he's not in the side.
Could we have one reason why Broad's a better proposition than Sidebottom?

Sidebottom can swing it both ways on demand and has fantastic control. Broad can, er, swing it occasionally sometimes and you have no idea whether the next ball is a long hop or not.

stumpski

International Captain
I haven't come across that expression, but I would guess it means 'asked for ID.' (to prove age)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah, yeah, duh.

Yeah, only about 5 times in my life have I bought alcohol (when not making the sale myself obviously) and not been ID'd. And all of them were when I've been stupidly unshaven.

And I've been pretty pleased about it for the last year or so. :happy: Have felt pretty old since my 21st birthday. I can still pass for 17 when totally clean-shaven. :cool:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Could we have one reason why Broad's a better proposition than Sidebottom?

Sidebottom can swing it both ways on demand and has fantastic control. Broad can, er, swing it occasionally sometimes and you have no idea whether the next ball is a long hop or not.
Gut feeling is when Sidebottom plays on true Sri Lankan pitches (not the ones that we had for ODIs) he will get found out due to lack of support from pitches. He smacks me as good bowler on seam friendly English pitches, but will struggle international away from home.

I just think Broad has a bit more ability to do something on unresponsive Sri Lanka pitches. Also long term having Sidebottom and Hoggard in the side has a lot of sameness about the attack and lack variety.

Just a gut feeling really, nothing with either players performance to date to back it up really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't see either Sidebottom or Broad\Tremlett getting anything whatsoever out of a typical Sri Lankan surface TBH. Sidebottom can get the ball to do plenty in the air, though, and that's the key when there's nothing you can get out of the pitch.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see either Sidebottom or Broad\Tremlett getting anything whatsoever out of a typical Sri Lankan surface TBH. Sidebottom can get the ball to do plenty in the air, though, and that's the key when there's nothing you can get out of the pitch.
Yup. He should start with Hoggard and the two spinners, afaics.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I think Broad has some very solid fundamentals but he just dosent look the finished article, think he could develope a bit more physically as was said before and like most young quicks he still has alot to learn about his job.

Makes you wish the 'England Lions' concept was a bit more organised and they played/toured more regularly. Because he needs to be in the set-up and testing himself against higher quality opposition than most counties present, yet isnt ready for test cricket yet.
Should sign for an Australian state side :laugh:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Having Sidebottom and Hoggard in the side has a lot of sameness about the attack and lack variety.
One is left handed. The other is right handed. Sorry, but there is no way that is samey. Particularly when you have a left-arm and right-arm spinner as the slow bowlers.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, AWMOTA, Broad isn't ready or pickable for Tests yet.

Hoggy
Sidebottom
Monty
Swanny

Colly as the 3rd seamer.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
He's not looked all that impressive so far in his career - but he has been thrust into the international stage at a young age. He had obviously got talent, though.

Mind you - how sad for Broady that he got his first England cap before he got his first pube. :dry: The poor guy looks like he's ten years old.
Except he's about 6'5"