• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Haddin for Gilchrist in ODI

pup11

International Coach
To think about start grooming a player 4 years before a WC is not a very good idea, if i am not wrong Haddin is of 30 atm and in four years time he would be 34 (mind you i am not saying he shouldn't be picked) and his standard of cricket can either drop or it can go up by then.
For eg : if Haddin plays for Australia in Odi's for the next 3 years and just an year or 6 months before the WC his form dips really badly and say somebody like Ronchi is in gunning form so the selectors might obviously pick Ronchi ahead of Haddin (or Haddin might get injured like Lee did just before the WC) , so its a simple thing one can't plan for such a long span of time and a team should only be picked keeping a player's form, conditions and circumstances in mind.
I think Gilly still has some very good cricket still left in him and it would better if we get off his back and let him decide when he should quit, obviously he is not the sort of player who would just drag his career if he felt that he no longer had a role to play in the side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To think about start grooming a player 4 years before a WC is not a very good idea, if i am not wrong Haddin is of 30 atm and in four years time he would be 34 (mind you i am not saying he shouldn't be picked) and his standard of cricket can either drop or it can go up by then.
For eg : if Haddin plays for Australia in Odi's for the next 3 years and just an year or 6 months before the WC his form dips really badly and say somebody like Ronchi is in gunning form so the selectors might obviously pick Ronchi ahead of Haddin (or Haddin might get injured like Lee did just before the WC) , so its a simple thing one can't plan for such a long span of time and a team should only be picked keeping a player's form, conditions and circumstances in mind.
That's true. But equally, if Haddin doesn't get in for another 2 years, then his form's unconvincing for 18 months, where does that leave us then?

You can't plan for all eventualities, but you can plan as best you can, and IMO the best bet is to make use of every game you can to test every player who looks like he might have the goods.

And not waste them on those who are undoubtedly not going to be around.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
If a player performs well in 2007 and 2008, would you not back him to keep doing so?

I would.
Sure - just not till 2011, is all.

Although I agree with Richard in terms of retaining performing players - not everything is done with the WC on the horizon. The momentum available from winning the next available game is far more valuable than a promising experiment which is nowt more than a dead weight in the short run.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Once Gilly is performing i'd pick him currently. No need to be thinking all the way to the 2011 just yet, England tried in 1999 and it didn't work.

I say take it one series at a time, Australia aren't like Sri Lanka where they have needed Jayasuriya at the top for like forever, they have a superb replacement in Haddin whenever Gilly decides to call it a day in ODI's and even tests. So let things unravel by itself..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
One eye on the future, one eye on the now. The best preparation for winning a world cup, is winning as many games as you can inbetween them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One eye on the future, one eye on the now. The best preparation for winning a world cup, is winning as many games as you can inbetween them.
Even if half the side that wins them for the first 2 years of that inbetween-time retires and performances rapidly drop?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Once Gilly is performing i'd pick him currently. No need to be thinking all the way to the 2011 just yet, England tried in 1999 and it didn't work.
It actually did for a year. In 1999\2000 and 2000, England gained a good side (indeed, the side in 1999 wasn't dreadful). Things started to go wrong in 2000\01.

Since then England have been routinely awful in ODIs, despite a fair few false dawns (dawns only believed by those who were prepared to be ridiculously impulsive).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not if he's 37 in 2007.
That'd depend TBH IMO. So you don't reckon Ponting is going to be ODI-class in 2011? 'Cos I do. I might be wrong, but very top-notch players tend to still be good enough at that sort of age. McGrath was the same.

If it's someone like Symonds, Martyn or Brett Lee, I'd have more doubts.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Haddin has gotta replace Hodge,
Player Inns NO 50s 100s HS Runs Avg Ca St
B J Haddin 2 1 2 0 *87 156 156.00 0 0
M J Clarke 3 0 1 1 130 216 72.00 0 0
A Symonds 3 0 2 0 89 183 61.00 1 0
M L Hayden 3 0 2 0 75 169 56.33 2 0
R T Ponting 1 0 0 0 25 25 25.00 0 0
J R Hopes 3 0 0 0 37 52 17.33 0 0
A C Gilchrist 3 0 0 0 29 41 13.67 1 1
B J Hodge 3 0 0 0 3 6 2.00 2 0

At the end of the list, with an average of 2.00, Hodge. On the flip-side, at the top, with an amazing average of 156.00, Brad Haddin.

150 aggregate run difference, and hodge is still in the team.
Then for Hodges bowling, 2 overs for 18 - 9 RpO

Get the point :yes: :thumbup: :thumbsup:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hodge has more to prove than Haddin, though - it's obvious that currently neither are in the strongest XI, so they're presumably giving he who's performed least most opportunity to do so.