• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best bowling attack out of those playing today

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Similar to an existing thread except they must be actively playing (eg. must have played recently in a Test match and must not be retired).

Mine:

1. Ntini
  2. Clark
  3. Asif
  4. Murali

Kallis would act as the fifth bowler/all rounder. If Flintoff was healthy, I'd want him in there somewhere as well, at the expense of one of the four above.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Can't really see how anyone could choose anything but that attack.

Of course, Sreesanth would be right up there, right SS?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Can't really see how anyone could choose anything but that attack.

Of course, Sreesanth would be right up there, right SS?
If all the bowlers in the universe spontaneously combusted and he was the only person alive, I would forfeit the game instead of giving him the ball. What a disgrace.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Similar to an existing thread except they must be actively playing (eg. must have played recently in a Test match and must not be retired).

Mine:

1. Ntini
  2. Clarke
  3. Asif
  4. Murali

Kallis would act as the fifth bowler/all rounder. If Flintoff was healthy, I'd want him in there somewhere as well, at the expense of one of the four above.
I mean, he took 6-9, yeah, but that was totally a one-off...

Seriously, I'd have Stuart Clark beyond doubt, Mohammad Asif beyond doubt, Murali beyond doubt, and Flintoff if fit beyond a doubt (so that's 2 years ago IOW) even regardless of his batting.

Ntini is more disputable. Liam Plunkett would probably be a better choice to shore-up the batting.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I mean, he took 6-9, yeah, but that was totally a one-off...

Seriously, I'd have Stuart Clark beyond doubt, Mohammad Asif beyond doubt, Murali beyond doubt, and Flintoff if fit beyond a doubt (so that's 2 years ago IOW) even regardless of his batting.

Ntini is more disputable. Liam Plunkett would probably be a better choice to shore-up the batting.
Smartass. :p

jeevan

International 12th Man
Shane Bond for Ntini. Has a very good strike rate probably better than Clark or ASif. Dont hear about him much because NZ dont get to play much tests and then the good Mr Bond is unfit for a few from those.

Bond,Clark,Asif,Murali would probably be it for me.

Flem274*

123/5

Mine:

1. Ntini
  2. Clark
  3. Asif
  4. Murali

No Pollock or Bond?

How recent can this test match be? If only the series currently playing then I see why no Bond. Why no Polock? Is he injured or just not good enough? (We don't have any cricket matches being shown in NZ ATM as far as I know)

Gowza

U19 12th Man
yeah for tests you'd probably want your seam attack to consist of bond, clark and asif. bond and asif have strike rates of under 40, clarks is around 43 and they have great averages but the problem is they've all played less than 20 test matches each (bond has the most at 16 matches, asif is currently playing his 10th and clark has only played 9) so that creates a bit of doubt as to whether they can keep it up long term. and if you want a spinner i think murali would be a given.

so yeah i agree with the above post:
bond
clark
asif
murali

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Shane Bond
Mohammad Asif
Matthew Hoggard
Muttiah Muralitharan
Andrew Flintoff
Mohammad Hafeez

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
What piques my interest is that batsmen today are endlessly lambasted for making hay in a flat-deck era, but quality bowlers who maintain admirable averages over this post-2000 era (Akhtar, Ntini, Gillespie etc.) aren't privy to quite the same reverence that 80's batsmen who did the same thing in inverse climates were (Kallicharran, Border, Miandad). It's one of the most befuddling things; and it's my main crutch to my argument that Gavaskar was at least on a par with Hobbs when considering pitches and opposition.

I can only assume (stop me if I'm wrong) that SS started this thread to highlight the dearth of decent Test bowlers. Would the definition of 'decent' change if pitches did?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What piques my interest is that batsmen today are endlessly lambasted for making hay in a flat-deck era, but quality bowlers who maintain admirable averages over this post-2000 era (Akhtar, Ntini, Gillespie etc.) aren't privy to quite the same reverence that 80's batsmen who did the same thing in inverse climates were (Kallicharran, Border, Miandad). It's one of the most befuddling things; and it's my main crutch to my argument that Gavaskar was at least on a par with Hobbs when considering pitches and opposition.

I can only assume (stop me if I'm wrong) that SS started this thread to highlight the dearth of decent Test bowlers. Would the definition of 'decent' change if pitches did?
Kalli was hardly an 80s player TBF, was almost exclusively 70s.

TBH, while the pitch conditions (and ball) do impact on how good some bowlers can be, it won't stop the Donalds, Ambroses, McGraths, Wasim Akrams et al from existing, those who can turn their hand to any surface. The problem at the current time is both lack of friendly pitches and balls (more so balls than pitches IMO) for seam-reliant bowlers, and lack of all-conquering seam-bowlers.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Vettori in a Test bowling attack? :blink:
Well, I put him as an after thought.

I like the idea of a double spin attack with one each turning the ball in and away from the right hander. Unfortunately, with Warne's retirement there isn't any better bowler for moving the ball away from the right hander playing. Kumble is well past his best and Kaneria is not yet consistent enough. Vettori is a compromise for want of an option. :)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, I put him as an after thought.

I like the idea of a double spin attack with one each turning the ball in and away from the right hander. Unfortunately, with Warne's retirement there isn't any better bowler for moving the ball away from the right hander playing. Kumble is well past his best and Kaneria is not yet consistent enough. Vettori is a compromise for want of an option. :)
TBH, I'm very shocked that you'd pick Vettori ahead of Kumble, especially just on bowling merit. If Vettori was in the side to shore up your lower order, I'd understand, but as a pure bowler I think Kumble is far superior to Vettori.