• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yuvraj has more potential....and yes...tendulkar also has a good record...should he be in t team 4 the nxt 10yrs??
If Tendulkar continues to score the runs required, he should be in the team for as long as he wants. Both Ganguly and Tendulkar had good tours of England and there is no reason to drop them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nishant said:
Yuvraj has more potential

The fast bowling and the opening partnership won us the series! You can't be serious.

Very few things annoy me as much as that. Um, more potential than the opening pair that's been putting up century partnerships left and right? OK, let's discard the best thing you had going (except Zaheer) in your last Test series win (which was the biggest win in 20 years), because some other dude has 'potential'.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The thing about picking a player is, generally, you pick the team that you think can best help you win a match or a series. So mostly, one likes to see people in form and/or ones with good records get picked. Sometimes, we need to carry players through their bad days because they have proved in the past that they are good enough to win you matches and perform consistently. But after a while, the time has to run out like it did with someone like Sehwag.

But right now, it is a very tricky situation. The ones who are in are not exactly producing mind blowing or match winning performances. They are doing well, but not so well that it can be considered to be MUCH better to what someone like Yuvraj can do, at least in our opinions. I think we have to give the seniors the whole Australian series and see how they fare. If the performances dip or even remain at the same level (ie the 40s and 50s without going on), then I think it will be time for the likes of Sourav and Laxman, perhaps, to be dropped and guys Yuvraj and Badrinath get a call up. We can always recall these guys if the younger ones don't measure upto the international standard but if we keep ignoring them, we are messing up with their confidence itself. But, if the likes of Yuvraj and Badrinath do perform well in test cricket, then look at what we gain... Better fielding, more energy on the field and perhaps investment for future success as well, given their age.

We cannot answer this question about Ganguly/Laxman and Yuvraj by talking about the whole issue of younger/older players in general. This is a special situation. Ganguly or Laxman in the recent year or two HAVE NOT showed anything exceptional. They are playing well, so some think that they should not be dropped. The problem is exaggerated by the fact that Yuvraj has not exactly covered himself in glory in tests either. But again, he is still young and presumably, has his best years ahead of him. And he has been our standout batsman in ODIs for a while now. As I said, I would like to see some 100s from Sourav and Laxman and if not, I think it will be time to blood Yuvraj in for the series against RSA at home.

If he fails, we can go back to Sourav or Laxman again for the next series but not giving a chance to Yuvraj and Badrinath even if these guys only score 40s and 50s again will just be criminal, IMHO.

Nishant

International 12th Man
The fast bowling and the opening partnership won us the series! You can't be serious.

Very few things annoy me as much as that. Um, more potential than the opening pair that's been putting up century partnerships left and right? OK, let's discard the best thing you had going (except Zaheer) in your last Test series win (which was the biggest win in 20 years), because some other dude has 'potential'.
who said i want to get rid of the opening partnership in bowling and batting....yuvraj is a middle order batsman..i wanna get rid of a middle order guy...i.e. laxman....what has he done in the latest series against england??

Nishant

International 12th Man
The thing about picking a player is, generally, you pick the team that you think can best help you win a match or a series. So mostly, one likes to see people in form and/or ones with good records get picked. Sometimes, we need to carry players through their bad days because they have proved in the past that they are good enough to win you matches and perform consistently. But after a while, the time has to run out like it did with someone like Sehwag.

But right now, it is a very tricky situation. The ones who are in are not exactly producing mind blowing or match winning performances. They are doing well, but not so well that it can be considered to be MUCH better to what someone like Yuvraj can do, at least in our opinions. I think we have to give the seniors the whole Australian series and see how they fare. If the performances dip or even remain at the same level (ie the 40s and 50s without going on), then I think it will be time for the likes of Sourav and Laxman, perhaps, to be dropped and guys Yuvraj and Badrinath get a call up. We can always recall these guys if the younger ones don't measure upto the international standard but if we keep ignoring them, we are messing up with their confidence itself. But, if the likes of Yuvraj and Badrinath do perform well in test cricket, then look at what we gain... Better fielding, more energy on the field and perhaps investment for future success as well, given their age.

We cannot answer this question about Ganguly/Laxman and Yuvraj by talking about the whole issue of younger/older players in general. This is a special situation. Ganguly or Laxman in the recent year or two HAVE NOT showed anything exceptional. They are playing well, so some think that they should not be dropped. The problem is exaggerated by the fact that Yuvraj has not exactly covered himself in glory in tests either. But again, he is still young and presumably, has his best years ahead of him. And he has been our standout batsman in ODIs for a while now. As I said, I would like to see some 100s from Sourav and Laxman and if not, I think it will be time to blood Yuvraj in for the series against RSA at home.

If he fails, we can go back to Sourav or Laxman again for the next series but not giving a chance to Yuvraj and Badrinath even if these guys only score 40s and 50s again will just be criminal, IMHO.
EXACTLY!!!!! Finally...someone gets me!!!! Too bad SS and Prince dont!!!

Nishant

International 12th Man
If Tendulkar continues to score the runs required, he should be in the team for as long as he wants. Both Ganguly and Tendulkar had good tours of England and there is no reason to drop them.
mate...its all abt developing a team when the time is right and introducing a plyer when the time is right...for yuvraj...the time is now TBH

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
mate...its all abt developing a team when the time is right and introducing a plyer when the time is right...for yuvraj...the time is now TBH
Selection doesn't work like that though. You can't just shove someone in the team for the sake of it and drop someone who should not be dropped. Laxman admittedly is on fairly thin ice but he has still done enough to hold his place, and I'd still back him to score more runs in a test than Yuvraj Singh. Especially against Australia.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Best thing [for Australia] would be if Laxman doesn't play against them. Against Australia, that is literally the last person you want to drop.

Nishant

International 12th Man
I think he might be as well and that's why I want him to play, but only ahead of Laxman, not Ganguly.
fair enough!! Id rather see ganguly ahead of laxman as well....but thats a whole new argument. As for yuvraj....he should be in the team ahead of VVS

Matt79

Global Moderator
Best thing [for Australia] would be if Laxman doesn't play against them. Against Australia, that is literally the last person you want to drop.
I don't know, the bloke in your avatar has had some brilliant performances against Australia in the past, but I wouldn't pick him now. Is Laxman's form three years ago anymore relevant today?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't know, the bloke in your avatar has had some brilliant performances against Australia in the past, but I wouldn't pick him now. Is Laxman's form three years ago anymore relevant today?
It's a fair point, but Laxman has always been mediocre against every country except Australia. If he had been doing badly, then I wouldn't advocate his stay in the team. But he has been doing OK, and he's about to face the people he does the best against, so it makes sense to me to keep him around for at least that series.