View Poll Results: Who would be the Ideal person to take Kenyan cricket forward after Roger Harper?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dav Whatmore

9 75.00%
  • Duncan Fletcher

2 16.67%
  • Adrian Birrel

1 8.33%
  • Sandip Patel

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cricket Coach for Kenya

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline

Cricket Coach for Kenya

recently it has come out in the media that former West Indian player Roger Harper wioll be standing down as Kenya coach after this years T20 world cup. Roger Harper has done alot of work rebuilding the discipline and self belief in a a Kenya side that had virtually stopped playing altogether and has been brave enough to select fresh young talent such as the likes of middle order batsman Tanmay Mishra, Slow left armer Hiren Varaiya and medium fast bowler Nehemiah Odhiambo to represent the national team. In the opinions of the people of cricketweb who would be the ideal replacement as coach to take Kenya from being one of the leading associate teams to being an fully fledged cricketing power house

Dav Whatmore- Did great things for Sri Lankan and Bangladeshi cricket, can he work his majic with Kenya
    Duncan Fletcher- Did wonders for England, vital to their 2005 ashes win
    Adrian Birrel- Can't fault his work with Ireland can he do it with another associate side?
    Sandip Patil- was coach back in 2003. is he willing to return
    Last edited by andruid; 12-09-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Addition of detail
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

doubt fletcher or whatmore would want to coach kenya
    ENGLAND CB SERIES CHAMPS FUTURE WORLD CUP CHAMPS(2011) AND IN 2009 THE ASHES HOLDERS

the official England 'patriotic cheerleader'

Proud supporter of the England national cricket, football and rugby teams and of TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FOOTBALL CLUBS

Msn: jammay123@hotmail.co.uk

come on CW BLUE

are you sure?

well im sure their coaching skills and credentials merits a higher level than asossiate cricket to coach

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    If Whatmore was happy to do Bangladesh I presume that wouldn't be a problem. If he wants to go straight back into coaching (and the fact that he was in the running for the India job suggests he does) he's the man IMO.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    Duncan Fletcher- Did wonders for England, vital to their 2005 ashes win
    He did far more than that.

Whatmore would indeed be awesome IF he were interested.
    Patil was more interested in talking to the Indian players than coaching Kenya when they played each other under him. 2003 was a good result, but more driven by the key players and Kirsten than Patil. Kirsten was mentioned when Harper was appointed, he could be in the running again.
    Fletcher I don't think would do well in Kenya. There would be personality clashes and he would find the set up incredibly frustrating.

I wonder if Steve Tikolo might be considering throwing his hat in the ring at some stage. Maybe this is a couple of years too early for him, but he is someone whom the fans and team would undoubtedly get behind. Talking to the junior players coming through, he is always mentioned as the person that has done the most to make them fit in and who acts as a mentor. He also knows and understands the difficulties of the situation in the country.

Whoever the coach is, Kenya are not going to progress until they sort out a decent domestic situation.
    Kenyacricket blog: Building a better future for Kenyan Cricket
    Become a fan of Kenya Cricket.com on facebook :

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Maurice Obumbe, im serious, reckon he would make a good coach. Its time to forgive him and let him back in the Kenyan cricket.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Story from cricketeurope
    Vacancy- Kenya national coach

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Maurice Obumbe, im serious, reckon he would make a good coach. Its time to forgive him and let him back in the Kenyan cricket.
    NO.

Odumbe was a great player for Kenya before things went wrong, but he is completely the wrong type of person to have as a coach. I think he would undo a lot of the good work Harper has done in terms of discipline and work ethic in the team.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    I cant see any top coach taking this job.

Its a position taylor made for an inexperienced ex-player or experienced but at lower level coach.

It doesnt have the profile, players, schedule, money, location etc to attract the really big hitters of the coaching world.

There will be big name people interested in this position but none of them will have made their names from coaching a top class international team.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

aah well I hear Bulgarian cricket got themselves a top notch coach....Kenya must be able to do the same?!
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If Whatmore was happy to do Bangladesh I presume that wouldn't be a problem. If he wants to go straight back into coaching (and the fact that he was in the running for the India job suggests he does) he's the man IMO.
    in all fairness bangladesh is a league above kenya. kenya can barley afford cricket kit for their players. and bangladesh has a huge fanbase with great players of potential that whatmore could guide. this can hardly be said of kenya

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Well as long as one has internet access they can download Cricket Coach through their site from anywhere in the world, be it Kenya or anywhere else.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by jammay123 View Post
    in all fairness bangladesh is a league above kenya. kenya can barley afford cricket kit for their players. and bangladesh has a huge fanbase with great players of potential that whatmore could guide. this can hardly be said of kenya
    Kenya and Bangladesh got ODI status virtually at the same time, the real difference between
    the two is while Bangladesh went on and got test status and all the extra backing that enabled it to hugely invest in the game over there that come with it Kenya through a combo of poor management fell behind. However to say that Kenya lacks players of great potential would be most unfair. A high profile figure like Whatmore could draw the kind of interest in the Kenyan game that could potentially bring in people to back the formation of a stronger Domestic league to tap this potential

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information