• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick An All Time XI Comp.

archie mac

International Coach
Era 1:
Victor Trumper
Sidney Barnes

Era 2:
Jack Hobbs
Bill O'Reilly

Era 3:
Gary Sobers
Rohan Kanhai

Era 4:
Imran Khan
Malcom Marshall

Era 5:
Wasim Akram
Andy Flower

All Time XI:

Jack Hobbs
Victor Trumper
Don Bradman
Rohan Kanhai
Gary Sobers
+Andy Flower
*Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Malcom Marshall
Bill O'Reilly
Sidney Barnes
Your players are from the right eras :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
So my final team looks something like

1. Hobbs (2.1)
2. Trumper/Grace (1.1)
3. Bradman
4. SRT/BCL (5.1)
5. Hammond/Headley (2.2)
6. Sobers (3.1)
7. Imran/Marshall (4.1)
8. Warne/Murali (5.2)
9. Tallon/Evans (3.2)
10. Lillee/Hadlee (4.2)
11. Barnes (1.2)​

Hmmmm
I have six places to sort out between two players each from the same era. Before that my comments on this team so far.

- I am disappointed to have no bowlers from eras 2 and 3 barrring the all rounder. In losing Lindwall, Grimmett and Orielly, besides so many others, I feel a bit sad and the team weakened.

- I feel terrible having to leave out Viv Richards the best right handed batsman I have seen but having to take two from era 5 I had no choice butto take the two great spinners and the two master batsmen from India and west Indies. I would have prefered Sir Vivian over Sachin or Lara but it would have been a bigger compromise to have to chose a second player from the current era. I am afraid, I dont find any others who should be on such a team.

- I am disappointed to leave out Oldfield but Tallon would have been my second choice so this compromise is notthat bad and Sir Donals would approve :)

- It is terrible having to leave out the great West Indians particularly Holding and Roberts amongst the fast bowlers and the three W's.

- Finally Pollock is a big miss. But once Sobers was in, he could have come only by changing the keeper and again I would have had to chose another player from era 5, not my era for great players barring those included.

My normal all time XII would read Trumper/Grace, Hobbs, Bradman, Hammond, Headley, Sobers, Oldfield, Imran, Lillee, Murali, Grimmett and Barnes. You could play an extra spinner from the 12 if conditions were suitable. This team has all three type of spinners, two fast bowlers inswing and out swing respectively and the greatest medium fast pacer of all time besides Hammond who could bowl pretty well.

I have never been able to decide between Grace and Trumper. I wish their were two sides, one for limited overs and one for tests and I would have put Trumper for ODI's and Grace for the longer version and felt less guilty as I will here when I finally drop one of them.

I have here 11 players from my prefered seventeen but unfortunately only eight of them (at best) can make this final XI :@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have decided on two places. Hammond over Headley for the middle order slot and Tallon over Evans as keeper. It now reads

1. Trumper/Grace
2. Hobbs
3. Bradman
4. Hammond
5. SRT/BCL
6. Sobers
7. Imran/Marshall
8. Tallon
9. Warne/Murali
10. Lillee/Hadlee
11. Barnes

I chose Hammond over Headley since he was one of the greatest slip fielders and could bowl a fair medium pace.

Tallon over Evans was an easier choice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Meant why did you leave the Staff TBH.

Of course, you may have reasons you do not wish to divulge, and I prey not to pry, but I was surprised when I noticed you were no longer on Staff and if you are happy to tell us why you have departed I'd love to know.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Meant why did you leave the Staff TBH.

Of course, you may have reasons you do not wish to divulge, and I prey not to pry, but I was surprised when I noticed you were no longer on Staff and if you are happy to tell us why you have departed I'd love to know.
I did not leave.

I just came back after my illness and found I was no longer on the staff. I suppose james felt there was no point in having someone on the staff who is missing for such long periods.

Cant say I blame him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll send you an email concerning this, one or two things I'd like to mention I possibly might do best not to say in open forum.

swaranjs at gmail dot com isn't it?

James

Cricket Web Owner
I did not leave.

I just came back after my illness and found I was no longer on the staff. I suppose james felt there was no point in having someone on the staff who is missing for such long periods.

Cant say I blame him.
Hey SJS, we emailed you a few times a couple of months back now, when we going through a staff re-structure, as you didn't respond we presumed as what has happened with others in the past, that you had lost interest.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've sent SJS an email. Hope he'll be straight onto you when he finishes reading. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hey SJS, we emailed you a few times a couple of months back now, when we going through a staff re-structure, as you didn't respond we presumed as what has happened with others in the past, that you had lost interest.
Hi James I have replied to Rich will forward the same to you rightaway.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Can I just say that the credit for the side should go to Archie here - I just wrote the bottom half of the final article. Can't even remember the full XI TBH. Actually, I'm looking at it now. Mohammad Ashraful at number six gives the batting order real stability.