• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick An All Time XI Comp.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Next step for SS.

having got one middle order batsman from the fifth era, I doubt if Viv Richards or Pollock will be the other. We are more likely to have an earlier era for the second middle order slot. So I would pencil in Hammond/Headly

That makes
Hobbs (2)
--------Opener
Bradman
SRT/BCL (5)
Hammond/Headley (2)
Sobers (3)
----keeper
Warne/Murali (5)
------Pacer
------Pacer
Barnes (1)

So. Do we go with Trumper as opener or Blackham as keeper from Era 1. That is the next step.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Next step for SS.

having got one middle order batsman from the fifth era, I doubt if Viv Richards or Pollock will be the other. We are more likely to have an earlier era for the second middle order slot. So I would pencil in Hammond/Headly

That makes
Hobbs (2)
--------Opener
Bradman
SRT/BCL (5)
Hammond/Headley (2)
Sobers (3)
----keeper
Warne/Murali (5)
------Pacer
------Pacer
Barnes (1)

So. Do we go with Trumper as opener or Blackham as keeper from Era 1. That is the next step.
I would suggest u take the other opener from era 2 as well.... Just keep them from the same era. :)

archie mac

International Coach
This is a really good one and tough :) :@

I made my own shortlist and here is how I went about doing it.

I think besides Bradman three players who are a must for any all time side are
- Sobers for the all round slot,
- Hobbs for one of the two openers slot and
- Barnes for one of the pacers (medium, medium fast, fast medium, fast, super fast or somethingsqueezed between these) slots.​

That also means we have one each from Era 1 (Barnes), era 2 (Hobbs) and era 3 (Sobers)

My shortlist for the rest of the spots with eras in brackets is

ONE OPENER FROM

- Trumper (Era 1)
- Sutcliffe (Era 2)
- Hutton (Era 3)
- Gavaskar (Era 4)​

*Since declared inelligible

TWO MIDDLE ORDER BATSMEN FROM

- Hammond/Headley (Era 2)
- Pollock (Era 3)
- Viv Richards (Era 4)
- SRT or BCL (Era 5)​

ONE KEEPER FROM

- Blackham (Era 1)
- Oldfield (Era 2)
- Tallon or Evans (Era 3)​

ONE SPINNER FROM

- Grimmett OR O'rielly (Era 2)
- Laker (Era 3)
- Warne OR Murali (Era 5)

TWO PACERS FROM

- Lindwall (Era 3)
- Lillee (Era 4)
- Hadlee (Era 4)
- Imran (Era 4)
- Marshall (Era 4)​

This may not include some of other folks absolute favourites but remember it is my, final, short- list.

Now starts the tougher part. Its tough because there are so many contenders from each era.

ERA....CERT......NEED.......SHORTLIST
5.............0.............2...................2​

AHA ! I have a perfect match for Era 5. I have two positions available and two in my shortlist. I dont think both Tendulkar and Lara or both Warne and Murali will make the final XI.

So I pen in my one middle order batsman (or a choice) and a choice of spinner and the Era 5 is closed.

I now have

1. Hobbs...............Era 2
2. ----------
3, Bradman
4. Tendulkar/Lara...Era 5
5. -----------
6. Sobers..............Era 3
7. ---------- (Keeper)
8. -----------(Pacer)
9. -----------(Pacer)
10. Warne/Murali.....Era 5
11. Barnes .............Era 1​

My balance sheet reads :-
ERA....CERT......NEED.......SHORTLIST...Open....MOB....Keeper....Spin....Pace
1.............1.............1...................3 ...............1...........0..........1............0...........0
2.............1.............1...................4 ...............1...........1..........1............1...........0
3.............1.............1...................5 ...............1...........1..........1............1...........1
4.............0.............2...................5 ...............0...........1..........0............0...........4​

The next era with a better fit between need and availabilty is Era 1. Since I need another player from Era 1. I have to decide whether it would be an opener, Keeper or fast bowler. Opener is my favoured choice but it may come down to a balancing act.

HELP !!

PS : With the clarification from Archie_Mac we knock off Trumper, Spofforth and Barry Richards.
You have done a very thorough job, I think you will find that Trumper scored more than a 1000 runs:)

biased indian

International Coach
since bradman is there @ three

will Lara ponting or dravid get alook in
taking into account that SRT played all his criket @ 4

can they be considred for 4 or 5 ???

is it just the team or also where they played the matches

archie mac

International Coach
since bradman is there @ three

will Lara ponting or dravid get alook in
taking into account that SRT played all his criket @ 4

can they be considred for 4 or 5 ???

is it just the team or also where they played the matches
We picked two openers, but were not worried so much about the other batting positions, thinking this team of champions could adapt pretty well, although Bradman does bat three:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You have done a very thorough job, I think you will find that Trumper scored more than a 1000 runs:)
That was a typo. I meant WG, Spofforth and Barry Richards as you can tell from the rest of that post or my next post after that one.

pasag

RTDAS
So if I'm not mistaken everyone (besides staff) should be posting XIs and the whoever gets it right gets a t-shirt?

Last edited:
Era 1:
Victor Trumper
Sidney Barnes

Era 2:
Jack Hobbs
Bill O'Reilly

Era 3:
Gary Sobers
Rohan Kanhai

Era 4:
Imran Khan
Malcom Marshall

Era 5:
Wasim Akram
Andy Flower

All Time XI:

Jack Hobbs
Victor Trumper
Don Bradman
Rohan Kanhai
Gary Sobers
+Andy Flower
*Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Malcom Marshall
Bill O'Reilly
Sidney Barnes

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Next step. I have decided that Trumper fits in better in the all time side than Blackham. This may prove costly since I know Archie_Mac considers Blackham the greatest. Anyway, I must go with my heart too sometimes :)

1. Hobbs (2.1)
2. Trumper/Grace (1.1)
3. Bradman
4. SRT/BCL (5.1)
5. Hammond/Headley (2.2)
6. Sobers (3.1)
7. Tallon/Evans (3.2)
8. Warne/Murali (5.2)
11. Barnes (1.2)​

I now need the keeper and two fast bowlers.

The only keepers eligible and on my shortlistare Tallon/Evans. Oldfield is out since we already have Hobbs and Hammond/Headley from that era.

That leaves two pace bowling slots for which I have an embarassment of riches. I can only chose from era four. So I have to chose two from
- Lillee
- Hadlee
- Imran
- Marshall​

I would prefer one bowler whose main weapon was inswing and one whose main weapon was the outgoing delivery. Of course all four moved the ball both ways.

I think we could club Imran with Marshall and Lillee with Hadlee.

So my final team looks something like

1. Hobbs (2.1)
2. Trumper/Grace (1.1)
3. Bradman
4. SRT/BCL (5.1)
5. Hammond/Headley (2.2)
6. Sobers (3.1)
7. Imran/Marshall (4.1)
8. Warne/Murali (5.2)
9. Tallon/Evans (3.2)
10. Lillee/Hadlee (4.2)
11. Barnes (1.2)​

Hmmmm

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You are right he made 1098. So my team has Trumper/Graceat number 2 instead of just Trumper. :@