• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa A in India

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
South Africa A in India, 2007-08

Chopra and Raina included in India A squad
Cricinfo staff
August 29, 2007

Aakash Chopra, who last played for India in October 2004, and Suresh Raina were included in the 14-member India A squad for the home series against the visiting South African A side. Mohammad Kaif will lead the Indians in the two four-day matches in September.

Squad: Mohammad Kaif (capt), Aakash Chopra, Cheteshwar Pujara, Manoj Tiwary, S Badrinath, Suresh Raina, Parthiv Patel(wk), Ishant Sharma, Yo Mahesh, Pankaj Singh, Pragyan Ojha, Arjun Yadav, Ashraf Makda, Amit Mishra
Source: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/308840.html

Fixtures not yet announced.

Looks like a very strong India A team once again. Irfan Pathan may be up for an international call back since he is not in this squad or he may just be busy with pre-Twenty20 championship duties. The batting line up in particular looks formidable. Chopra, Kaif, Raina and Patel have all played international cricket while Manoj Tiwary has already been named in an international squad (Vs Bangladesh but pulled out due to injury). The bowlers are less formidable but Pankaj Singh and Ojha will be looking to build on good performances in Zimbabwe and Kenya.

adharcric

International Coach
Awesome. Really looking forward to Chopra and Raina returning to action. The selectors finally chose the right opener, well done.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Fixtures have been announced.

13th September: 1st four day match
19th September: 2nd four day match

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It's probably followed by a 9 match limited overs series :dry:
Nope, I don't think so. I am pretty sure that India have their batch of ODI players sorted in the form of the squad that played England and the twenty20 squad, they are looking to find some new players for the test series' against Pakistan and Australia.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
that's it?????

Just a couple of 4 day games???????
Thu 13 - Sun 16
- India A v South Africa A
- Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi

Wed 19 - Sun 23
- HPCA Stadium, Dharamsala

Wed 26
- Sardar Patel (Gujarat) Stadium, Motera, Ahmedabad

Fri 28
- Maharaja Pratapsingh Coronation Gymkhana Ground, Baroda

Sun 30
- Madhavrao Scindia Cricket Ground, Rajkot

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Thu 13 - Sun 16

Wed 19 - Sun 23

Wed 26

Fri 28

Sun 30
Thanks, didn't see those games at first, I think they have just been added to cricinfo.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Thu 13 - Sun 16

Wed 19 - Sun 23

Wed 26

Fri 28

Sun 30
that's better. :)

odd to see just 8 days of cricket and just 2 days in an A tour.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Why no Praveen Kumar?

He was man of series in the recent India A tour.

Besides, the Indian senior squad is really feeling the absence of a pace bowling all-rounder, and Praveen Kumar may be a good option going forward given his domestic form and given that Pathan and Joginder Sharma have both fluffed multiple chances on the big stage. (heck, India can use TWO folks like Pathan & Praveen).

He's not in the WC 20/20 squad either. Which was also an omission in itself.
Very strange.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
This tour seems to have slipped under the South African radar for they haven’t selected a squad as yet and that should be a real chore for there isn’t much in the way of talent to select. Could by a riot for the Indians, although, top opportunity for both Harris and Botha to impress.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
This tour seems to have slipped under the South African radar for they haven’t selected a squad as yet and that should be a real chore for there isn’t much in the way of talent to select. Could by a riot for the Indians, although, top opportunity for both Harris and Botha to impress.
Neither of them are in the squad...:) Strange that, unless CSA want Harris resting before Pakistan.

South Africa A squad: Morné van Wyk, Alviro Petersen, Robbie Peterson, Boeta Dippenaar (capt), Hashim Amla, Justin Ontong, Ashwell Prince, Werner Coetsee, Dale Steyn, Thami Tsolekile, Friedel de Wet, Yusuf Abdullah, Rory Kleinveldt, Charl Langeveld.

Couple of the guy’s aside, it's a decent squad and Coetsee is a very interesting selection, for I haven't seen or heard much about him.

Edit- The Pakistan series starts on September 27th. So unless South Africa are going to drop Prince, Boeta and Steyn from their test side, these players will not take part in all of the tour, probably just the four day games...

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I would add the squad and updated fixtures to the first post but I cannot edit my posts for some reason.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting to see that Paul Harris isn't in the 'A' team, one can only assume that the selectors want to give him a rest before the Pakistan series, especially as he has been a regular in County Cricket. Good chance for Dale Steyn and Morne van Wyk to impress, also why is Ashwell Prince playing? I'd say he's an established batsman at Test level now, more so than AB de Villiers anyway.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to see that Paul Harris isn't in the 'A' team, one can only assume that the selectors want to give him a rest before the Pakistan series, especially as he has been a regular in County Cricket. Good chance for Dale Steyn and Morne van Wyk to impress, also why is Ashwell Prince playing? I'd say he's an established batsman at Test level now, more so than AB de Villiers anyway.
Steyn, Boeta, Prince and Amla, according to Cricinfo and CSA will only be in India for the four day games. The four and possibly whoever else is selected for the Pakistan tour will then be replaced for the one dayers.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Look at the page for the Indian A team picked for the series. Not a single all-rounder has been picked (unless you call Parthiv Patel one), but the "playing role" classification is laugh-out-loud material. Yo Mahesh, the swing bowler still finding his feet in the reserves, has been slotted as an all-rounder! We don't even see Pankaj Singh, a seamer who can hit a few big ones, playing as an all-rounder for his team, and a rank outsider gets that role. That said, I fully endorse the comment about Praveen Kumar. Given his performances over two years in the Indian scene and the few matches he's played against international opposition, his omission from the ODI team, the T20 team and even this team is very strange.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Look at the page for the Indian A team picked for the series. Not a single all-rounder has been picked (unless you call Parthiv Patel one), but the "playing role" classification is laugh-out-loud material. Yo Mahesh, the swing bowler still finding his feet in the reserves, has been slotted as an all-rounder! We don't even see Pankaj Singh, a seamer who can hit a few big ones, playing as an all-rounder for his team, and a rank outsider gets that role.
Cricinfo India have been giving quite a bit of attention to this series, I assume that the playing roles had a bit of thought into them based on potential and where they bat. Also, the reason not a single all rounder has been picked is that all rounders are ideal in twenty20 and they are all in the twenty20 cup:
-Irfan Pathan
-Yousef Pathan
-Sehwag
-Joginder Sharma

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricinfo India have been giving quite a bit of attention to this series, I assume that the playing roles had a bit of thought into them based on potential and where they bat. Also, the reason not a single all rounder has been picked is that all rounders are ideal in twenty20 and they are all in the twenty20 cup:
-Irfan Pathan
-Yousef Pathan
-Sehwag
-Joginder Sharma
Praveen Kumar is not in the T20 lineup. He could have been picked here. Yo Mahesh may have been batting at 9/10 for most of the matches he got.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Praveen Kumar is not in the T20 lineup. He could have been picked here. Yo Mahesh may have been batting at 9/10 for most of the matches he got.
I know he is not in the twenty20 line up, my point is, is that the Indian management feel those four all rounders are ahead of him. Personally, I would have had him in twenty20.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I know he is not in the twenty20 line up, my point is, is that the Indian management feel those four all rounders are ahead of him. Personally, I would have had him in twenty20.
I too would prefer him ahead of both Irfan and Joginder in T20, but why the management (?) doesn't rate him at all is strange. He didn't make the T20 lineup, but this was an option.