• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Standout keeper of the last decade or so

Best Keeper since 2000

• Total voters

iamdavid

International Debutant
gilchrist is a far better test batsman than odi batsman and his record clearly speaks for itself...but sangakkara is a much improved batsman and doesn't have the luxury of an exceptional top order above him, being a top order batsman himself...there is actually a significant third party that you haven't mentioned, andy flower...in my opinion the best batsman of the three and a competent 'keeper as well...
Flowers batting in the early 2000's is probably on par with Sangakkara's now and better than Gilchrists has ever been, but I rate Flower slightly behind them as a keeper.
And I was talking hypothetically about a current side.

Last edited:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
You forgot the Best Wicket Keeper of last decade. Nayan Mongia. On Wicket Keeping Skills alone, he was better than all those listed there. I never saw him drop anything or miss any stumping.

Yeah I'm amazed that very few people mentioned Mongia. He was a Brilliant keeper.....I would have rated him on par with Healy and maybe even a little better....probably underachieved with the bat , but was one hell of a gloveman no doubt.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I can't believe anyone could say Boucher is best keeper of the last 10 years, maybe standing back. But if he had to keep to any quality spinners, as he showed in the Super Test, he would have been seen as the average keeper he is. He couldn't even keep to Vettori, even Vincent could do that better then him.

The_Bunny

State Regular
I can't believe anyone could say Boucher is best keeper of the last 10 years, maybe standing back. But if he had to keep to any quality spinners, as he showed in the Super Test, he would have been seen as the average keeper he is. He couldn't even keep to Vettori, even Vincent could do that better then him.
I think that has alot to do with the fact that he doesnt do much keeping to spinners, if SA got a good spinner I'm sure he would adapt pretty quickly.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is Boucher didn't do that well keeping to Paul Adams either. He did ok against Nicky Boje, but he would have been above par at best. His never shown an ability to keep well to spinners, but due to low wicket taking ability of those spinners, no really takes note. But surely other keeper who are just below him interms of keeping to seamers and far high interms of keeping to spinners, would be easierly rated higher then him.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I think Adams would be one of the more difficult bowlers to keep to, difficult to see the ball out of the hand due to his action and he could turn it quite a long way on his day, but still, I'd agree Boucher is yet to prove himself keeping well to a top-quality spinner the way Gilchrist has with Warne and Sangakkara/Kalu with Murali.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Flowers batting in the early 2000's is probably on par with Sangakkara's now and better than Gilchrists has ever been, but I rate Flower slightly behind them as a keeper.
And I was talking hypothetically about a current side.
ok i thought you were indicating an all-time xi...

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sangakarra's keeping was shown up by Tim Ambrose yesterday. Can't recall seeing Ambrose drop any straight through to the keeper balls whereas Sangakkara certainly dropped a couple when he deputised for the rest of the day.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Adam Parore

Not a vote out of patriotism, I genuinely believe he is the best there, followed by Sangakkara.

Thought Parore would have more votes TBH. I know he's a prick but he was definitely a world class keeper.
If he were from anywhere other than NZ, TBH, I think he probably would. Kiwis are so often easily forgotten, even feisty (to say the least) types like Parore.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thread, are you drunk? Geraint Jones and MS Dhoni? How are they standout? They stand no chance against the likes of Boucher and Gilchrist.
Pretty sure David was just grabbing the names of as many wicketkeepers of the last decade he could think of, though it is strange he neglected to mention Mongia.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sangakarra's keeping was shown up by Tim Ambrose yesterday. Can't recall seeing Ambrose drop any straight through to the keeper balls whereas Sangakkara certainly dropped a couple when he deputised for the rest of the day.
Lack of match time keeping? I wouldn't be surprised if Karthik looks poor if he gets a game keeping again after all this time playing as batsmen.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Pretty sure David was just grabbing the names of as many wicketkeepers of the last decade he could think of, though it is strange he neglected to mention Mongia.
He crossed my mind but he barely played at all since 2000. I see him more as a keeper of the 90's alongside likes of Healy, Richardson etc.
His last test if I remember correctly was the Cacutta thriller in '01 and he'd been out of the side for some period of time before that.

Salixiscool

Cricket Spectator
Best keeper batsmen IMO is probly Flower, Gilchrist, Sangakarra. I would rate Sangakarra and Gilchrist as better keepers than Flower.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Flower is a much better batsman than Gilchirst for mine. Nowhere near as good a keeper.
Don't think that's nearly as clear cut as some here are making it out to be. Very different batsmen, both of whom have advantages over the other, yeah. Out of that, you might say that Flower was better, no issue. But I don't think you can look at it and say things like "much better" or "clearly superior".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO there was little to divide the Gilchrist of 1999\2000-2003 from the Flower of most of his career... but Flower did it for many, many years, Gilchrist for just 4 (and let's face it, he's been pretty average for most of the time since 2003\04).

IMO Flower was clearly the better batsman of the two, and Sangakkara too (that is, Flower > Sangakkara).