• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gangulys comeback?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Give his first-chance average for this tour as well as removing substandard sides - as I said in one match report, he's scored well but he could quite easily have scored twice what he has - 2 bad decisions against him and no let-offs. And one superlative ball from Anderson to dismiss him once too. He's rarely been at fault for his dismissals this series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
'Cos you've made the considered decision that matches involving them should not be classed as Tests.
I don't do it for that reason, actually. I do it because it proves little - in many cases, it proves even less than doing well in first class cricket in domestic competitions. People say "you still have to score the runs" - but most players selected as batsmen in top-7 test teams at the moment will face better attacks than Mortaza-Rasel-Rafique-Razzaq in domestic cricket anyway, and they've been picked because they've scored runs at that level in the first place. It's just as true with bowlers. Whether they should be test matches is irrelevant to whether the stats should be included when rating a player's ability, IMO - simply the quality of the opposition should be considered.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't do it for that reason, actually. I do it because it proves little - in many cases, it proves even less than doing well in first class cricket in domestic competitions. People say "you still have to score the runs" - but most players selected as batsmen in top-7 test teams at the moment will face better attacks than Mortaza-Rasel-Rafique-Razzaq in domestic cricket anyway, and they've been picked because they've scored runs at that level in the first place. It's just as true with bowlers. Whether they should be test matches is irrelevant to whether the stats should be included when rating a player's ability, IMO - simply the quality of the opposition should be considered.
And the quality of the opposition is entirely what decides, to me, what should and should not be a Test.

Spot the link? ;)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And the quality of the opposition is entirely what decides, to me, what should and should not be a Test.

Spot the link? ;)
Tasmania and NSW > West Indies at the moment, though. Was the Pura Cup final a test in your eyes? There are several other factors to consider in what should and should not be a test, IMO. There's also the contradictory fact that you don't believe the Australia v ROW series should be classed as tests and yet the standard of the teams was quite high.

adharcric

International Coach
Pretty much. Bangladesh are a test side but stats against them don't have much value for me.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't do it for that reason, actually. I do it because it proves little - in many cases, it proves even less than doing well in first class cricket in domestic competitions.
Indeed. See India A's destruction of Kenya and Zimbabwe to show just how poor the latter two are.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tasmania and NSW > West Indies at the moment, though. Was the Pura Cup final a test in your eyes? There are several other factors to consider in what should and should not be a test, IMO. There's also the contradictory fact that you don't believe the Australia v ROW series should be classed as tests and yet the standard of the teams was quite high.
No, because standard isn't the only issue at stake, and I've always said that too. However, to say that Bangladesh games should be classed as Tests, IMO, is ridiculous. They meet some of the criteria required, but not all. EDIT: just seen I said "the quality of the opposition is entirely what decides" in my previous post, dono what on Earth I was thinking there TBH, because it's certainly not. Perhaps I meant "once you get below a certain standard, it's entirely out-of-the-question to be a Test side"...

Whether West Indies continue to meet them all is perhaps something we'll find-out in the next 3 or 4 years or so.

And are Tasmania really better than West Indies? If they were actually to pick their best players?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Richard said:
And are Tasmania really better than West Indies? If they were actually to pick their best players?
Tasmania are better than what the West Indies selectors consider to be their best side at the moment.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Tasmania

Di Venuto
Paine
Ponting
Birt
Dighton
Bailey
Clingeleffer
Butterworth
Wright
Griffith
Hilfenhaus

West Indies

Gayle
Ganga
Smith
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Bravo
Ramdin
Mohammed
Powell
Edwards
Collymore

Hmmm...

howardj

International Coach
Chuffed to see Gangers will tour Australia for the Tests.

Binga Lee is going to rip his throat out and shove it in his garbage compactor.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I hope to see Ganguly slapping Lee around the park like last time TBH. :p

(And hopefully Tait, Johnson, MacGill and whoever else gets picked too)

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, Lee will own Ganguly imo. Especially if he gets the ball to swing into him regulary and aims for the head and body.