• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Blackwell for 5th Test?

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
It has been an exciting fourth test and one which has shown England to possess some guts after all. To compete with Oz as they did for 5 days and with such a dreadful bowling attack deserves praise.

For the last Test, Crag White is out so there is a chance for either Tudor or Blackwell and with the wicket slower than some of the others, Blackwell (bias aside) seems the best option. His batting is better than Tudor and his bowling has been the surpirse package of the VB Series.

There's never been a better time to hit back at the Aussies with a token win. Preventing a whitewash should be of paramount importance and England won't have either Warne or McGrath to worry about. MacGill did get five wickets but he bowls one juicy full toss an over!

Whatever we do, please, please, please don't let Mark Butcher bowl. Surrey don't which surely should tell England something!

www.somersettalk.co.uk

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh but they do bowl Butcher! And often too, unless you count the time he was suffering from a knee injury...

Anyway I wouldn't mind saying to the Aussies "Here are our 3 Fastest Bowlers, let's see what you can do" by bringing in Anderson to join Caddick and Harmison. Even though Dawson makes the attack look a lot more balanced, he has been very ineffective and I would bring in one of Tudor or Hoggard to take his place. I wouldn't pick Blackwell but I might pick Collingwood instead of Tudor/Hoggard and see if Vaughan can bowl a bit.

As for Butcher's bowling, he claimed his only FC 5 Wickets in an Innings bowling Offspin and claimed 2 Wickets a few years ago in South Africa with his Offies so I would ask him to try bowling them.

Rich2001

International Captain
As much as people want Blackwell I doubt he will be drafted in, because....

He isn't in the Test squad and England aren't sending White home so no replacment can be drafted in (or am I wrong?)

The main contenders would be Tudor - Would be a more of a like for like replacement, as he can bat (when he wants to) then Hoggard if you want to boost the bowling department, but weaken the batting, or like someone said P.Collingwood, his batting was impressive during the first stage of the VB series and could bowl if needed.

Techinally England could still play White but just as a batsman, seems stupid, but he is batting better than alot of the top order at present....

As for Vaughan bowling, his shoulder still wont be fit enough, afterall there is only a 2 day gap... so unless something amazing happens then it will be Dawson and Butcher as the spinners, if the pitch actually lives up to it's billing

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
According to Cricinfo Collingwood can bowl spin, though I've never seen him bowl it, it might be more effective than his Medium Pace...

Rich2001

International Captain
Rik said:
Yup but they seem to have forgotten that Butcher can bowl spin!
Yeah and his ment to be quite good at it as well, or so i've heard...

Also if things turn way above expectations (like sidewards), then they always have Nasser and Key who can bowl spin.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Butcher can bowl spin? First I'd heard of it...

Dawson is certainly going to play, knowing how Sydney takes spin, and I'd like to see Blackwell in the side, as well as Hoggard back.

Trescothick
Vaughan - Is he out? I hadn't heard that either...
Butcher
Hussain
Key/Crawley
Blackwell/Irani/Crawley/Collingwood/Hollioake
Stewart/Foster/Read
Dawson
Caddick
Hoggard/Anderson
Harmison

Rich2001

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Butcher can bowl spin? First I'd heard of it...

Dawson is certainly going to play, knowing how Sydney takes spin, and I'd like to see Blackwell in the side, as well as Hoggard back.

Trescothick
Vaughan - Is he out? I hadn't heard that either...
Butcher
Hussain
Key/Crawley
Blackwell/Irani/Crawley/Collingwood/Hollioake
Stewart/Foster/Read
Dawson
Caddick
Hoggard/Anderson
Harmison
Vaughan - Is fine

Stewart - Wont make the game, last I heard

Anderson - Anderson is in England

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
AFAIK I know Butcher's off spin was a joke effort at the end of the game.

If the pitch is taking spin though I propose Blackwell at 6(!) then Foster, Dawson, Hoggard, Caddick and Harmison.

That'd mean dropping Crawley, but that's not too bad a call seeing as I don't think he'll play next summer.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rich2001 said:
Yeah and his ment to be quite good at it as well, or so i've heard...

Also if things turn way above expectations (like sidewards), then they always have Nasser and Key who can bowl spin.
Nasser Hussain: 2 FC Wickets at 161.50

Robert Key: No FC Wickets

What a spin attack 8D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Actually, Hussain was the most promising leg-spinner we'd had for years when he was a teenager, but for some reason gave it up.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Actually, Hussain was the most promising leg-spinner we'd had for years when he was a teenager, but for some reason gave it up.
Yeah he was, and he's Killer in ICC2000 :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
But talk of him or Butcher bowling spin is just stupid.
Well Vaughan is injured...who else would bowl it? Anyway Butcher's done sod all with his Medium Pace...what about giving spin a go?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
England should give a Young players his chance as we have nothing to lose so i would go for Anderson
No, they should stick with the original party where possible - what's Hoggard done wrong I'd like to know.

Besides, Anderson is still over here I believe.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Well Vaughan is injured...who else would bowl it? Anyway Butcher's done sod all with his Medium Pace...what about giving spin a go?
Because he isn't a spin bowler!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rich2001 said:
Vaughan - Is fine

Stewart - Wont make the game, last I heard

Anderson - Anderson is in England
Stewart will be fit - Cricinfo today.

Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Key/Crawley
Blackwell
Foster/Stewart
Dawson
Caddick
Hoggard
Harmison

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
No, they should stick with the original party where possible - what's Hoggard done wrong I'd like to know.

Besides, Anderson is still over here I believe.
Hoggard has taken 1 Wicket in 2 Tests, barely any in the FC games, and hasn't looked like threatening at all because the ball doesn't swing much in Aus.