• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka board release Atapattu

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ha, what are these asian teams doing?. First pakistan have the great Inzi's career in great speculation now this...

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
As good a servant as Marv has been for Sri Lankan cricket, I think it’s the right decision for both parties. He is in the twilight of his career and his injuries have kept him off the field for a significant period over the last few years. I think he should take the opportunity to secure his financial future. Similarly, I think its time to start phasing in the next generation of Sri Lankan cricketers.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, a tame and disappointing way to finish a career of a Cricketer who made a significant contribution to SL Cricket. Even more disappointing because he is one of those rare mild natured gentleman cricketers with gentleness in his public relations with anyone .

I was really hoping that he would make it to Australia and provide some additional support to our Middle order where his experience would have helped against the mighty Aussies.

Very disappointed.....:ph34r: partly because IMO he should have played at the World Cup ...and someone kept picking Arnold for whatever reason....:ph34r:

I hope he does well in ICL (Indian Cricket League) where he is now headed from all accounts. I wish him all the very best in ICL. (he deserves some luck , after being somewhat unfairly done by SL Cricket.):@

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good move IMO. Its time to close the curtain on Atapattu's career. And really, as good a servant as he has been, you can't compare it to the Inzy situation in Pakistan.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Average of 31 in FC cricket isn't good enough, especially somebody who has been playing FC for 8 years.
Sri Lankan first class batting averages are generally pretty low though - you can add 10 to that. Still isn't particularly flash though.

Craig

World Traveller
Sri Lankan first class batting averages are generally pretty low though - you can add 10 to that. Still isn't particularly flash though.
Granted I admitted earlier I'm not an expert on Sri Lankan cricket, but if has the goods I daresay he would of been picked by now.

I doubt it is like Australia in the 90s when players like Jamie Siddons, Stuart Law (TBF he did play one Test when Steve Waugh was injured) couldn't make the Test side and like century when a player like Martin Love got as far as been a fill-in, Brad Hodge now and Darren Lehmann for much of his career.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
What a sad way to end an illustrious carrier with His country, Last time he was seen was getting a runners up medal at Wcup. Very Dissapointed that he was not even picked to play 1 game.

A turbulant start to his carrier and he has ended in the same way, he made his name once Another sri lankan who left after not being happy asanga gurusinge.

But well done to Marvan a gentle Sri Lankan master at techinque few in Sri Lanka have. I wish he would have ended on a higer note. He scored a very neat 28 at Christchurch and i will have good fond memories of that innings. But his best efforts have to be his 185 at lords and his 100 in Australia in test match.

In one day cricket his 100 at 2003 wcup and his 132* at lords in 1998 stand out for me.

A fine cricketer and a gentleman

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
He isn't in the 'A' side right now, so I assume that he isn't in contention.

Vandort is the best test opener we have available. His temperament, physical attributes and technique make him best suited for the job, and particularly the up-coming tour of Australia.

I'm not sure if all of you are aware, but Jayasuriya is seeking permission to play in the Indian 20/20 as well. Reportedly they've offered him 500 g’s. From what I understand, he is trying to negotiate a deal with the Sri Lankan cricket board that would allow him to miss the English tour of Sri Lanka, but he would line up against Australia.

I have no problems with that scenario, just as long as he makes himself available for Australia.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Vandort, Udawatte and MDK Perera are the next in line for the opener spots. With Warnapura also seen as a possible opening option. Both Vandort and Warnapura played against Bangladesh so they are next in line. Udawatte jumped ahead of Ian Daniel, a while back as did KD Gunawardene and Tharanga Paranavitana. Ian Daniel is a long way off the nation side ATM. But if we had a massive run of injuries then either Daniel or more likely Muburak would open then batting. As all three are seen as 2-3 seasons away from being ready for Tests.

MDK Perera is more of ODI option and seen as the long term replacement of Sanath Jayasuriya in ODIs. Expect him to take part in a few ODI tourments in the near future as the 2nd spin bowling option, if either Jayasuriya or Murali are rested.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
From What I read of SL Cricket's stance on ICL, not only Sanath anyone who goes to ICL will end their Test career full stop and no longer represent Sri Lanka.

Could this bring an end to Sanath's career ? :ph34r:

If he was offered 500 K , I would not blame him for leaving SL Cricket, as this would be one of his last opportunities to make some big money .

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The pitches are indeed not very flash, Players are not paid much so wouldnt think Sl cricket would pay Groundsmen in grounds outside colombo and even in colombo away from Ncc and Colts.
Only the Test grounds are half decent, Colts and NCC are pretty average as well.