• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My top 20 allrounders of all-time

Days of Grace

International Captain
Sink your teeth into this then lads... :yes: My top 20 TEST allrounders of all time.

I suspect that Kallis may lose rating points as time goes on because I expect him not to bowl as much and I also don't expect him to maintain his batting average of 55+:ph34r:

1 G.S. Sobers (WI) 975
2 Imran Khan (P) 878
3 I.T. Botham (E) 867
4 J.H. Kallis (SA) 866
5 K.R. Miller (A) 828
6 G.A. Faulkner (SA) 810
7 R.J. Hadlee (NZ) 706
8 S.M. Pollock (SA) 679
9 N. Kapil Dev (I) 675
10 A.W. Greig (E) 672
11 C.L. Cairns (NZ) 657
12 T.L. Goddard (SA) 648
13 W. Rhodes (E) 572
14 M.A. Noble (A) 561
15 A. Flintoff (E) 541
16 A.K. Davidson (A) 534
17 J.M. Gregory (A) 531
18 C. Kelleway (A) 524
19 Wasim Akram (P) 521
20 M.H. Mankad (I) 520

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Sink your teeth into this then lads... :yes: My top 20 TEST allrounders of all time.

I suspect that Kallis may lose rating points as time goes on because I expect him not to bowl as much and I also don't expect him to maintain his batting average of 55+:ph34r:

1 G.S. Sobers (WI) 975
2 Imran Khan (P) 878
3 I.T. Botham (E) 867
4 J.H. Kallis (SA) 866
5 K.R. Miller (A) 828
6 G.A. Faulkner (SA) 810
7 R.J. Hadlee (NZ) 706
8 S.M. Pollock (SA) 679
9 N. Kapil Dev (I) 675
10 A.W. Greig (E) 672
11 C.L. Cairns (NZ) 657
12 T.L. Goddard (SA) 648
13 W. Rhodes (E) 572
14 M.A. Noble (A) 561
15 A. Flintoff (E) 541
16 A.K. Davidson (A) 534
17 J.M. Gregory (A) 531
18 C. Kelleway (A) 524
19 Wasim Akram (P) 521
20 M.H. Mankad (I) 520
Interesting list mate - contains most all of the blokes I'd pick, though not necessarily in the same order of course... :)

Could you tell us the criteria you used?

Xuhaib

International Coach

1 G.S. Sobers (WI) 975
2 Imran Khan (P) 878
3 I.T. Botham (E) 867
4 J.H. Kallis (SA) 866
5 K.R. Miller (A) 828
6 G.A. Faulkner (SA) 810
7 R.J. Hadlee (NZ) 706
8 S.M. Pollock (SA) 679
9 N. Kapil Dev (I) 675
10 A.W. Greig (E) 672
11 C.L. Cairns (NZ) 657
12 T.L. Goddard (SA) 648
13 W. Rhodes (E) 572
14 M.A. Noble (A) 561
15 A. Flintoff (E) 541
16 A.K. Davidson (A) 534
17 J.M. Gregory (A) 531
18 C. Kelleway (A) 524
19 Wasim Akram (P) 521
20 M.H. Mankad (I) 520
Davidson too low for me.

1 G.S. Sobers (WI) 975
2 Imran Khan (P) 878
3 I.T. Botham (E) 867
4 J.H. Kallis (SA) 866
5 K.R. Miller (A) 828
6 G.A. Faulkner (SA) 810
7 R.J. Hadlee (NZ) 706
8 S.M. Pollock (SA) 679
9 N. Kapil Dev (I) 675
10 A.W. Greig (E) 672
11 C.L. Cairns (NZ) 657
12 T.L. Goddard (SA) 648
13 W. Rhodes (E) 572
14 M.A. Noble (A) 561
15 A. Flintoff (E) 541
16 A.K. Davidson (A) 534
17 J.M. Gregory (A) 531
18 C. Kelleway (A) 524
19 Wasim Akram (P) 521
20 M.H. Mankad (I) 520
Gary"One of the most rubbish bowlers ever"Sobers was not an allrounder at all & yet he is at the top? I think its better to have Bradman there if we have to include people who were hardly allrounders.

That thread is one of the worst CW has ever seen.
Thats the opinion of a typical diehard Gary Sobers fan because many people have said before that "Black Magic thread" was a source of some good debate over Sobers bowling & his comparison as an allrounder to Imran,Botham & others.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Sobers did the feat of 100 runs/5 wickets in a match a total of 7 times. Only Botham has matched this. The next best is Greig (4), then a range of players on 2. That's how great an allrounder Sobers was.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thats the opinion of a typical diehard Gary Sobers fan because many people have said that Black Magic thread was a source of some good debate over Sobers bowling & his comparison as an allrounder to Imran,Botham & others.
Was mainly referring to the first part of it, mainly you're suggestion that Sobers was a master of black magic.

Sobers did the feat of 100 runs/5 wickets in a match a total of 7 times. Only Botham has matched this. The next best is Greig (4), then a range of players on 2. That's how great an allrounder Sobers was.
Ok thats jsut 7 performances but how good & consistent was he as a bowler? He could bowl three styles rubbishly which means he was a combination of three(thats what people give him credit for) rubbish styles & hence IMO one of the most worst bowlers ever & hence not an allrounder at all.His wkts/match ratio of 2.52 puts him in the bunch Mohammad Sami,Ajit Agarkar type of bowlers who are known as rubbsih.So,Sobers was also a rubbish bowler.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
In a competitive star-studded 5-match series between England and ROW XI (early 70's), Sobers led the batting AND bowling aggregates for BOTH teams.

Some honorable mentions, IMO, s/b made for certain players:
WG Grace, M.Procter, C.Rice (am sure they wud've done well in better circumstances)
R.Benaud (if captaincy were to be considered)

Fiery

Banned
Gary"One of the most rubbish bowlers ever"Sobers was not an allrounder at all & yet he is at the top? I think its better to have Bradman there if we have to include people who were hardly allrounders.
Also,Jacques Kallis is not an allrounder?
If great batting but three types of rubbish bowling makes u a "best allrounder ever" then what can one say?...............
Thats the opinion of a typical diehard Gary Sobers fan because many people have said before that "Black Magic thread" was a source of some good debate over Sobers bowling & his comparison as an allrounder to Imran,Botham & others.
Ok thats jsut 7 performances but how good & consistent was he as a bowler? He could bowl three styles rubbishly which means he was a combination of three(thats what people give him credit for) rubbish styles & hence IMO one of the most worst bowlers ever & hence not an allrounder at all.His wkts/match ratio of 2.52 puts him in the bunch Mohammad Sami,Ajit Agarkar type of bowlers who are known as rubbsih.So,Sobers was also a rubbish bowler.
:clown:

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Sobers is probably the purest (and greatest) all rounder in history. If you can bat, bowl pace, bowl spin and field excellently, how can you not be classed as one?

Engle

State Vice-Captain
If captaincy were to be considered seeing that all skills s/b accounted for, wud that make Imran the greatest AR (over Sobers, others) ?