• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Flem274*

123/5
I would definately put Anderson in there...

He was by far the quickest bowler.
So he's quick, whoopie doo. Does that mean Sami is better than McGrath?

Anderson is awful on a non greentop whereas Mills, whilst not super quick, can bowl on most surfaces, has more accuracy and is just heaps better than James Anderson. Now yes I'm an NZ fan but if you think James Andersons one hit wonder 5-fer at Wellington was better than Mills' consistently good performances including one spell of 4/7 which was a match winner and put England out of the game then...well, its just not right. You need more than pace to succeed.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Pace isn't everything, but as we know, a well balanced seam attack should have an out and out pace bowler to complement a 'bounce' bowler and swing bowler.

Ideal world bowling attack

Opening bowlers - Pace attack + Swing bowlers.

First change - Bounce bowler.

Spinner.

Medium pacer / all rounder.

Flem274*

123/5
Pace isn't everything, but as we know, a well balanced seam attack should have an out and out pace bowler to complement a 'bounce' bowler and swing bowler.

Spinner.

Yeah I like that. Obviously there will be variations due to neccessity (sic, Rich and Kiwi go away) and pitch type but thats a good starting block. Also if you have a couple of crap quicks, three excellent swing bowlers and an allrounder+spinner you'd take the swing bowlers because the quicks are a waste of space but yeah, as I said I agree and its a good building block.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Spinner.

Since when did pace and swing become mutual exclusives?

The ideal thing you want is a bowler who can swing the ball at 90mph, and get bounce. Someone like... Richard Hadlee.

Obviously, though, the new-ball is a time when it swings most so it makes sense to open with those who can best make use of the swing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not at his peak, perhaps, though of course such things cannot be known with true accuracy. But I find it near enough impossible to conceive there was never a time he bowled consistently 140kph+.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
TBH, think I'd now go for:
Cook
How
Fleming
Pietersen
Taylor
Bell \ Collingwood
Ambrose
Oram
Mills
Sidebottom
Anderson \ Vettori (Vettori to move up 2 places if so, obv)
Seems a bit batting heavy and under-resourced in the bowling department IMO. Also bit harsh to leave Strauss out given he scored 180-odd in the third test, and Tim Southee.

Don't think Hadlee was anywhere near 90mph at his peak though...
Agreed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seems a bit batting heavy and under-resourced in the bowling department IMO. Also bit harsh to leave Strauss out given he scored 180-odd in the third test, and Tim Southee.
No way am I picking Strauss because of 1 innings, Cook and How both outperformed him over the course of the series. And as I mentioned - even in a 3-match series, I don't really feel someone can be picked for a Series XI on a single Test.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair though, Strauss scored nearly as many runs in that one innings as How did in the entire series...and I didn't say I would definitely pick Southee, I just thought it was a bit harsh he didn't get considered when IMO he was no worse than Anderson who missed the first test and was hardly dominant in the third.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To be fair though, Strauss scored nearly as many runs in that one innings as How did in the entire series
Yeah, but playing 1 innings to ram home the advantage which your team already has is less notable than consistently fighting to win it through the series (and doing so, once). How was far from impressive and I retain doubts aplenty about his long-term future at Test level, but he was IMO more impressive than Strauss this series.
and I didn't say I would definitely pick Southee, I just thought it was a bit harsh he didn't get considered when IMO he was no worse than Anderson who missed the first test and was hardly dominant in the third.
Oh, Southee came out of the series with far more credit than Anderson, and actually looking at the above post dunno WTF I was thinking picking Anderson over Broad anyway, but the business of Series XIs isn't exclusively about that. :)

Nutter

U19 Debutant
The ideal thing you want is a bowler who can swing the ball at 90mph, and get bounce. Someone like... Richard Hadlee.
What we would do to get another Hadlee. Or even a Bond who does all three too, even though he tends to only swing it one way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think most people would quite like that too TBF. :p Offer any cricket team in history a Hadlee and I'd not imagine you'd get a "no" anywhere.

jacq21

Cricket Spectator
Remix. Children of the Sandstorm - Darude ft. Robert Miles
yeah... if u like darude, there is a compilation series you should check out called "Euro Club Hits" --

it's pretty clear that dance music is coming back around the world -- just check the recent big American hip-hop and R&B hits which are clear rip-offs of the european dance style.....

here's the direct iTunes link to the "Euro Club Hits" series.....

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/...edSearchResults?albumTerm=Euro+Club+Hits+Vol+